For the various Ghostbusters Cartoon series. Real Ghostbusters, Extreme Ghostbusters and more!
By Razorgeist
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Re-releasing? Its already out on DVD

http://www.amazon.com/Real-Ghostbusters ... ostbusters
By Vahan
I do wish they'd fix all the 1989 episodes, with the exception of The Halloween Door. The fact that they are a couple or so minutes slower than they were originally really ruins them for me.

Sadly, that'll never happen. I think when Columbia was being transferred to Sony Pictures Television in 2002, something happened to the original versions of those episodes that caused them to be lost forever. So unfortunately, we're gonna have to rely on the original ABC broadcasts for those particular episodes.
By Kingpin
The original copies might still exist, but were out of reach at the time that Time Life were putting together the DVD set.

The episodes being a bit slower isn't something I've immediately picked up on (nor does it seem like something that'd immediately ruin them for me), what is a bit harder to live with are some of the episodes where the original Tahiti music is missing, as that really made those scenes more iconic.
By Vahan
pferreira1983 wrote:I did notice the Season 4 and 5 episodes running slower. The intro really feels slow paced and it seems some episodes run too fast as well.
Only the season 4 episodes ran slow for the 21 minute episodes, and fast for the 14 minute ones.

Meanwhile, a few other episodes have some issues: "Killerwatt" is missing the title card, three episodes of season 2 run 22:20 instead of 23:10, two episodes of season 3 run 22:20 instead of 23:00 (these episodes from seasons 2 and 3 combined also mix Syndicated bumpers with Network ones), the Slimer! cartoon "Class Clown" is a minute shorter than all the other 7-minute cartoons, and "Spacebusters" is 20 or so seconds shorter than everything else from season 5.

And I didn't know this until now, but the end credits on the DVD version of season 3 were created for international broadcasts; they treated The Real Ghostbusters and Slimer! as totally separate shows. Below are the original American ending credits for season 3, from April 22, 1989.

Last edited by Kingpin on November 15th, 2015, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Youtube code added
By Vahan
fearless-freak wrote:anyone else notice "the real ghostbuster will return shortly" and "we now return you to the real ghostbusters" changes between frank welker and arsenio hall doing the voice every so often?
Yes. As I stated before, five episodes of the show ("Halloween II 1/2", "Sticky Business", "Camping it Up", "Flip Side", and "Poultrygeist") mix Syndicated bumpers with network ones.

This leads me to believe that some episodes are Syndicated versions. Assuming the claims are true that the ABC episodes were rerun on local stations, along with the first-run Syndicated episodes.

"Flip Side" and "Poultrygeist" even have Arsenio's voice over their respective title cards, when they originally had the ending theme's outro.
fearless-freak liked this
By pferreira1983
Vahan wrote:
pferreira1983 wrote:I did notice the Season 4 and 5 episodes running slower. The intro really feels slow paced and it seems some episodes run too fast as well.
Only the season 4 episodes ran slow for the 21 minute episodes, and fast for the 14 minute ones.
Really? I'm pretty sure a lot of Season 5 episodes were affected. Partners in Slime is affected and that's from Season 5.
By Vahan
I count the first 13 ABC episodes and the 65 Syndicated episodes as Season 1.

I understand it's all subjective, as some people list the Syndicated episodes as season 2, and everything else after that as seasons 3-7.
By Croker
Yeah they only showed one episode a week in the UK on CITV so the first 13+65 episodes keep us going for quite a while. Every so often they'd throw in a later episode whIch made the Venkman voice change even more jarring.
midmanc82 liked this
By Vahan
In other news, I found what appears to be a 1989 episode in its original form. The quality is identical to the DVD, yet it appears someone went the extra mile to remove all hiccuppy, warpy, and stretchy effects in the audio, to match the original broadcast copy he has.

http://kisscartoon.me/Cartoon/The-Real- ... n?id=24730

Compare that to the official DVD version.

Last edited by Kingpin on November 22nd, 2015, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added YouTube code
By pferreira1983
Croker wrote:Yeah they only showed one episode a week in the UK on CITV so the first 13+65 episodes keep us going for quite a while. Every so often they'd throw in a later episode whIch made the Venkman voice change even more jarring.
Yeah it was easy to miss Season 5 onwards as it was shown at pretty random times. To be honest I'm surprised the whole series was shown in the end. Ninja Turtles on the BBC didn't have that happen.
By Kingpin
They never actually showed the whole series. The last episode I can recall us recording from back in the day was Jailbusters (but I have a dim recollection of actually watching The Ghostbusters Live! from Al Capone's Tomb at the time... and to think at the time we thought those two episodes would represent the worst of how the show went downhill.

It's funny how things are in hindsight.

I can't say with any certainty if they'd broadcast any of the rest of season 4, but I can imagine that with the decline in quality, and possible the decline in ratings, Citv might've stopped showing it.

I'm not sure if the same could be said with their decision to axe ReBook when Enzo and Co. were so close to finding Bob, and getting back to Mainframe.

And then it'd be another five or so years before Citv would debut Extreme Ghostbusters (I had about five minutes warning to get a tape into the player to record it, as I'd seen no prior promotion of the new series).
By fearless-freak
i don't think they showed past season 2 as watching season 3 online i thought to myself hang on i don't remember any of these episodes and about the turtles i hear kids going on about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and i tell them when i was a kid it was called Teenage Mutant HERO Turtles and then there was Thundercats which we never got to see past season 2 and a lot of Panthro's scenes were cut out of the broadcast
By pferreira1983
Kingpin wrote:They never actually showed the whole series. The last episode I can recall us recording from back in the day was Jailbusters (but I have a dim recollection of actually watching The Ghostbusters Live! from Al Capone's Tomb at the time... and to think at the time we thought those two episodes would represent the worst of how the show went downhill.
As far as I'm aware they did. The last new episode shown on CITV was 20,000 Leagues Under the Street which I just happened to tune into randomly. I didn't know they were showing RGB and certainly didn't know they were showing new episodes. It was back in 1999 or 2000 just before they started showing Extreme Ghostbusters. Trust me on this they at least showed the end of the series.
By pferreira1983
fearless-freak wrote:i don't think they showed past season 2 as watching season 3 online i thought to myself hang on i don't remember any of these episodes and about the turtles i hear kids going on about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and i tell them when i was a kid it was called Teenage Mutant HERO Turtles and then there was Thundercats which we never got to see past season 2 and a lot of Panthro's scenes were cut out of the broadcast
Yeah BBC showed Season 2 and 3 of Ninja Turtles or 'Hero' Turtles as it was called then. The only way to see Season 1 and the later seasons was to watch on Sky One which thankfully I had at the time. Considering how big the ratings were not sure why the BBC didn't show Season 4.
By Kingpin
pferreira1983 wrote:It was back in 1999 or 2000 just before they started showing Extreme Ghostbusters.
Citv was showing Extreme Ghostbusters earlier than 1999, I think we got it quite quickly - this video of Citv continuity is dated as 1997 by the uploader:

I would've been 11 at that point, and that works with my recollection that I was still in Middle School when I first saw XGB.

This video suggests the "Slimer and the Real Ghostbusters" era ran from 1992 to 1993 on Citv:

By Vahan
Kingpin wrote:This video suggests the "Slimer and the Real Ghostbusters" era ran from 1992 to 1993 on Citv:

I wouldn't be surprised if the copy of "Three Men and an Egon" that I showed to you in another thread (it was 20 minutes and 18 seconds long, instead of the ABC length of 21 minutes and 20 seconds) came from CITV.
By pferreira1983
Kingpin wrote:
pferreira1983 wrote:It was back in 1999 or 2000 just before they started showing Extreme Ghostbusters.
Citv was showing Extreme Ghostbusters earlier than 1999, I think we got it quite quickly - this video of Citv continuity is dated as 1997 by the uploader:

I would've been 11 at that point, and that works with my recollection that I was still in Middle School when I first saw XGB.

This video suggests the "Slimer and the Real Ghostbusters" era ran from 1992 to 1993 on Citv:

Well it's just from memory so I might be slightly incorrect when Extreme Ghostbusters first premiered although I do remember tuning into the first episode. Was the Jumanji cartoon finished airing by this point on CITV? And I know for a fact the last episodes of Real Ghostbusters were shown in the weeks leading up to Extreme Ghostbusters.
By pferreira1983
Kingpin wrote:Pass on Jumanji. I remember watching it, but not at what point.
What year did CITV get rid of that announcer and get Stephen and Danielle? New episodes of Jumanji were still being screened when they presented. I still find it amazing I just happened to tune into the last episode of RGB, they showed it only because they intended to show Extreme Ghostbusters a week or so later.

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]