For the various Ghostbusters Cartoon series. Real Ghostbusters, Extreme Ghostbusters and more!
Sorry if this is old news, but it's very interesting.

Taken from:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/E ... nAnimation

"During his tenure as head writer on The Real Ghostbusters, J. Michael Straczynski constantly battled with ABC execs. Some production members have noted having a happier time with the syndication episodes, which were subjected to far less scrutiny and it shows. (The H.P. Lovecraft-inspired, "The Collect Call of Cthulhu," is just one of the episodes people have noted the network wouldn't have cared for.)

Especially contentious was the ongoing debate over the Ghostbusters' secretary, Janine Melnitz. A child psychologist hired as a consultant by ABC felt the character was too cynical and abrasive. Her personality should be more supportive and "feminine", instead. The consultant also expressed concerns that her sharp, angular glasses might scare children — and yet, all the grotesque ghosts and monsters running around were a-ok.

JMS acquiesced to one of ABC's demands, making Janine a Ghostbuster for an episode. The execs had felt young girls needed a positive female role model and saw this as an opportunity to do so.

Other additions the executives wanted were more Slimer-centric episodes, and junior Ghostbusters, a group of children that followed the Ghostbusters on missions, including a handicapped member. Both were attempts to pander to different age groups.

Eventually, JMS simply quit out of frustration.

After his departure, all of these changes came to pass, including altering Janine's look, personality, and voice. JMS would come back in Season 6 (though other jobs meant he could only do a few episodes).

He Lampshaded the changes made to Janine in the episode "Janine You've Changed."

In Extreme Ghostbusters, Janine is back to her original personality, Slimer is back as a minor supporting character, and no mention is made of the Junior Ghostbusters.

The same network consultants had also wanted Ray to be removed from the cast, as they felt his character did not benefit the program. Straczynski and the other writers objected, and Ray was allowed to remain.

Peter became more friendly towards Slimer, due to the consultants wanting their rivalry downplayed and for Slimer to be more of a cute mascot character. In fact, everyone became nicer to Slimer...meaning they were all more like Ray. The character the executives wanted to get rid of for being "unnecessary" (which was a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy). The irony of this was not lost on JMS.

The show was no longer allowed to mention the Necronomicon, despite having done so previously. The Q5 consultants insisted it was a real book (it's not, it was made up as a plot device by Lovecraft), and they didn't want to promote occultism. In the show about ghosts.

They also no longer wanted the show to mention what ghosts are.

The consultants wanted established roles for the four main characters. Egon was "The Brain", Ray was "The Hands", Peter was "The Mouth" and Winston was "The Driver". JMS rightly called them out for the racist implications of making the black guy a glorified means of transportation, as well as the sexism of making Janine a bland, "nurturing" character."
Yeah, very shocking I agree.

Though I think somewhere after season 2 the whole GB franchise went from adult humor to a more kids oriented franchise (including the second movie).

Things went back to all non-politically correct in the 90's with Extreme GB's though. :roland:

Kylie Griffin: [possessed] Are you happy to see me, Eduardo?
Eduardo Rivera: Uh, sure.
Kylie Griffin: [possessed] Because I'm really happy to see you. From the first time I saw you in the lecture hall, I felt... an attraction. Did you feel it, too?
Eduardo Rivera: Well, I don't know. Sort of. You could can stand to put on a couple of pounds.
Kylie Griffin: [possessed] A good looking guy like you is really hard to resist. Kiss me, Eduardo. I want you.
Roland Jackson: Back off, Eduardo!
Eduardo Rivera: Why? She legal.
Roland Jackson: She's a ghost!
Last edited by gold333 on February 1st, 2016, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The same network consultants had also wanted Ray to be removed from the cast, as they felt his character did not benefit the program. Straczynski and the other writers objected, and Ray was allowed to remain.
Good gravy...I never thought my opinion of the ABC "advisors" could go any lower..."We want to make Slimer more important and write out one of the movie characters, which just happens to be the character based on the one played by the guy who had the idea in the first place"

Vahan liked this
Damn it, I've been trying to wean myself off TV Tropes, that site is addictive! :P
I can't say any of this surprises me, sadly. :(
fearless-freak wrote:another thing is in the episode "No One Comes to Lupusville" there's vampires and werewolves but in "Transylvanian Homesick Blues" Count Vostok tells the ghostbusters that he is the last of his kind
The latter episode aired in Syndication, despite the fact that it was made AFTER the network changes. They needed a leftover script for Syndication, because "Slimer, Is That You?" was swapped for broadcast on ABC, supposedly at the request of JMS.
fearless-freak wrote:another thing is in the episode "No One Comes to Lupusville" there's vampires and werewolves but in "Transylvanian Homesick Blues" Count Vostok tells the ghostbusters that he is the last of his kind
Easy enough to make up an explanation for that--Vostok only thought he was the last of his kind, and didn't know about the Lupusville bunch (I wonder if the Ghostbusters told him off-camera). Or would consider the Lupusville gang a different "kind", like the Clans in Vampire: The Masquerade or something, or because they're all now vampire/werewolf hybrids.

More likely the former.
ABC 1986 and Syndicated (Except "Transylvania Homesick Blues"): Laura Summer
ABC 1987-1991 and "Transylvania Homesick Blues": Kath Soucie
EGB: Pat Musick. No relation to Lorenzo Music. :cool:

I always assumed that the EGB take on Janine was intentionally supposed to be a little closer to early RGB and GB1, but at the same time "aware" of the Soucie version. In-story it can be explained by some of the changes caused by the Lotsabucks ("Janine, You've Changed") partially, but not totally, reversing, and of course just simple aging (She certainly aged better than the EGB versions of Ray, Venkman, and Winston did)

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

No issue with Spongeface keepalive and TalentCel[…]

After 2 years of this failed Walmart trap conversi[…]

Wanna play Unleashed with me?

I'm ready big man whenever you want let's goooooo.[…]