Have a guide or tutorial? Post it up!
By BSjohnson
xtrmn8r17 wrote:Thanks BSjohnson!!!! :cool: I got my switches today!! Thanks a bunch! Gotta get back to work on my gun! Lemme know if u got any tips for wiring up.
Will do. I'll try my best to make time to work on my setup this week.
By Saborlas
I know it's kinda last minute, but is there a recommended type of speaker wire? Hackershack has like 15. I can get sound from the same wire I use for everything else, but the quality and volume is unsteady. This may be caused by the test connections not being very solid. Damn near fried my setup (and myself) a couple times when the two wires from the battery touched (insert corny cross-the-streams joke here), but it's been educational.

So: speaker wire? Once I solder everything down, will the 20 gauge wire I'm using for everything else work just fine, or do I hit up the Shack again?
By xtrmn8r17
Im pretty sure once u solder everything down, it should work fine. When i tested mine in came in all crackly, but once it was all done sound comes through clear. I think i used 14 gauge wire cuz thats all they had at the time and i am happy with that.
By Michaelmath53326
it would be cool if for the volume controls you attach them to the gun knobs, I was thinking about doing it I have no idea what it would require not at that stage yet, also was thinking about possibly hooking the vent sound to a little mini fan like in computers, and making or finding a "Laundry Dryer Vent" attach it to the proton pack so when you hear the pack venting you see the vents on the pack move...I dont know just some ideas, completely unnecessary but eh! Why not try!?
By Meph
It should be possible, if you don't have all 10 switches used for sounds. As they state on their site, if you only have 8 sounds and 2 vacant switches they can make those Volume + and Volume -

My best guess is those work in a similar fashion as the sound-activated switches. You flip the switch and it increases or decreases volume, depending on which one you push. But not sure how effective a DPDT type of switch would be, both probably need to be Single toggles and push-button momentary. Of course again my best guess from the design theory of it, it could be different.

Sadly it seems All Electronics are out of their .5W 8ohm speakers. Gotta find another source if they don't restock those.
By Meph
Ya, it's official. Just got a reply back from the company. They are forever out of stock on those speakers, no longer getting any back in. Guess I'm lucky I got a pair when I did. But now need to find another pair for my friends' pack that I'm building for him. Compatible ones on Digikey are 0 in stock, hope they reply good news on if they can get them in stock or not.

Hmmm, been digging through Digikey more. Seems I might have found an in-stock and non-bulk necessary source.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... GF0666M-ND

Meets the requirements it seems.

8 ohm Impedance
0.5W power rating
66mm = 2.6 inches L/W, and 20mm = .78" H
Seems to be frames, for easier install on the Motherboards

I'll be a guinea pig and buy a couple.
By Meph
I agree, love those speakers I got. They're pretty damn clean surprisingly for $5. These ones are about 1/2 the size so hopefully they'll perform well. If they're just as good, or better, then score!
By Meph
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Okay, got them in and tested out. They work as far as actually making noise. But it's more high-pitched, and the db level is definitely lower. I think these'd work good in a scaled down version of the proton pack, like a kids pack, it'd be perfect. But for a full scale pack these wouldn't be practical. Don't produce enough noise. Cranking the amp higher just makes it distorted.

I measured them out, didn't seem as bad as when I got them. Much smaller than I anticipated. Actually closer to 1/4 the size of the previous ones.

Okay so back to square one, going to try and find a suitable alternative to our original source.

Hmmmm, scouring ebay for a while sucked. Only thing I found were these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-WESTINGHOUSE-DI ... 53dd95ccb8

They're 8ohm and .5w though about same size as ones I have now. However the cone is different, the tiny ones I got were I think mylar or some very rigid material. These look to be paper. But still these are apparently made for a TV, and if they can produce a clean loud noise required by a TV then they might be good enough for proton pack noises.

Just gotta figure out a way to make a mounting bracket for them...
By xtrmn8r17
Michaelmath53326 wrote:Has anybody tried hooking up there amp and light kits together off the 12v battery supply? Im curious because I dont want to destroy my amp or my exoray lights...

i tried but musta done something wrong cuz it worked fine one day and the next it blew out my exoray lights and amp. I was lucky enough to have the replacement components to fix my shit.

i havent touched my 12v since
By Libtechinit
Ok so I'm looking to attempt putting this setup in one of my packs. One question though, since the speakers from that site are all sold out and I haven't been able to find anything close to the .5 watt, is there any harm in using something with a higher wattage like a 10 or 20 watt woofer as long as its still 8 ohm? I have limited electronics knowledge, enough to tackle this project, if I could just get past the finding a speaker issue. I found this one here http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=295-328 on of the lowest wattages I have came across, would that work at all?

Thanks to anyone who could help me out.

Eric
By Libtechinit
mburkit wrote:I THINK those will work fine but I am not very good with speakers. To be honest, the person that would know the best would be Rob, from replica props. You can get a hold of him at bob@replicaprops.com.
thanks for the reply. Yep I contacted him, he said .5W is just the minimum and more is better. He also mentioned that the cone size affects it a great deal as well. So I actually went with this 5 1/4 woofer should be here next week and I'll let everyone know how it works out.
By Mr.Spider
Did that woofer ever end up working Libtechinit ?
By xtrmn8r17
i used those speakers that are no longer for sale and i thought they were loud, but when i met up with Vinny (kind) his was way louder than mine! It was crazy! He was like "C'mon Andy! CRANK IT UP!" and then he goes crazy shooting his gun. I was jealous of him. I couldnt turn my amp up anymore cuz the speakers they are woofers and start to vibrate too much when its cranked up and start to sound shitty. Idk what speakers he used. I think he said some old bose speakers.. but anywho, i am also curious to know how ur set up went with that woofer.
By Libtechinit
I don't quite know yet. My speaker order was delayed due to the bad weather in the Midwest, so it was actually delivered tonight (supposed to have been delivered last Thursday). only problem is I didn't think it was going to show up in time so what I did was go to walmart and in the automotive section I grabbed a set of the pioneer 2 way 6 1/2 inch door speakers. They actually have a little higher power handling at 50 watts, if I remember right. So I just installed one of those into the pack that's for my dad to make sure it was ready in time because I have to leave with it for Cali where my father lives this Saturday. It works awesome actually having the small dome tweeter for the highs and the woofer for the lows, the only issue with those 6 1/2's is that there 4 ohm like most car speakers. Now the amp says it good for either 4 or 8 ohm but Rob says the chip worrks on only 8 ohm, so I don't know if the amp overrides what the chip itself need. What I plan to do is just do a quick hook up of that other woofer I bought on Friday to see if it does actually work any better. I don't know much about resistances and impedance, but logic would dictate to me that the 6 1/2 2 way speakers would have a greater range and work better especially with the type of sounds were dealing with than just having a woofer. I'm just not to sure if having 4 ohm or 8 ohm will make that much of a difference, so like I said I'll try it out and report back to you guys Friday night.
By Cole Funstuff
If you use a 4 ohm instead of an 8 ohm speaker then your amplifier will simply have to supply more current. If Rob says his chip is only designed for 8 ohm then that probably means it can't supply the current needed to drive a 4 ohm speaker. If you were to hook it up to his system, it may draw too much current and get quite hot.

Since you're using an external audio amplifier though, you shouldn't need to worry about this. It takes the signal from the audio chip, uses your battery supply, and amplifies the resulting signal to your speakers. So as long as your external amp can supply enough current for a 4 ohm speaker, then by all means use it.

Finally, you shouldn't worry too much about the power rating of a speaker when dealing with a project like this. So long as its rating is at or above the amplifier's output you'll be fine. You just don't want to push more power into a speaker then what's allowed. That's what causes things to go pop and die.
By Libtechinit
Protonguy06 wrote:If you use a 4 ohm instead of an 8 ohm speaker then your amplifier will simply have to supply more current. If Rob says his chip is only designed for 8 ohm then that probably means it can't supply the current needed to drive a 4 ohm speaker. If you were to hook it up to his system, it may draw too much current and get quite hot.

Since you're using an external audio amplifier though, you shouldn't need to worry about this. It takes the signal from the audio chip, uses your battery supply, and amplifies the resulting signal to your speakers. So as long as your external amp can supply enough current for a 4 ohm speaker, then by all means use it.

Finally, you shouldn't worry too much about the power rating of a speaker when dealing with a project like this. So long as its rating is at or above the amplifier's output you'll be fine. You just don't want to push more power into a speaker then what's allowed. That's what causes things to go pop and die.
Thanks alot for posting that up I was trying to do some research to find out if in fact what the amp can handle overrides what the chip can handle and haven't really been able to find anything concrete yet so thanks again.

Alright guys I tested out that speaker and it does sound great but just as I though the pioneer 6 1/2 2 way I picked up from Wal-mart sounds better and can go louder. The gun shut down and pack shut down are ear piercing. I had to turn away when I was testing. The other thing about the Pioneers is that they are almost 3/4 of an inch shallower and would fit inside the pack better as well. I can almost turn the amp all the way up before the distortion hits with the Pioneer, but dont need it anywhere near that loud lol.
xtrmn8r17 wrote:i used those speakers that are no longer for sale and i thought they were loud, but when i met up with Vinny (kind) his was way louder than mine! It was crazy! He was like "C'mon Andy! CRANK IT UP!" and then he goes crazy shooting his gun. I was jealous of him. I couldnt turn my amp up anymore cuz the speakers they are woofers and start to vibrate too much when its cranked up and start to sound shitty. Idk what speakers he used. I think he said some old bose speakers.. but anywho, i am also curious to know how ur set up went with that woofer.
Here's something you might want to consider in your situation, and I'm just bringing it up because I noticed it while testing my 2 speakers. How does Vinny have his mounted and ported? On my builds I have my speaker mounted to the motherboard inside the shell facing the cyclotron like so...
I have no holes or ports for the speaker/sound so at the same volume when my shells off it can be ear piercing, but with the shell on its a lot lower and what you would expect from a speaker in an enclosure. My guess is he probably has his mounted and ported better to project sound the the outside of his pack. But again I don't know how yours are mounted either. Its also possible his speakers could either be a 2 or 3 way or simply a woofer that just has a higher freq range or power handling than the ones you have. It sucks because there are no specs for the ones you have so I couldn't compare them to anything.
By xtrmn8r17
Libtechinit wrote: I have no holes or ports for the speaker/sound so at the same volume when my shells off it can be ear piercing, but with the shell on its a lot lower and what you would expect from a speaker in an enclosure. My guess is he probably has his mounted and ported better to project sound the the outside of his pack. But again I don't know how yours are mounted either. Its also possible his speakers could either be a 2 or 3 way or simply a woofer that just has a higher freq range or power handling than the ones you have. It sucks because there are no specs for the ones you have so I couldn't compare them to anything.

Vinny and I did the same. We mounted our speakers facing the mo board and drilled holes into the mo board. Sounds very nice. I had mine mounted upwards before, facing the cyclotron and had the same experience..muffled sound once the shell was placed on. Be careful with ur drill when drilling the mo board. Youll see in my pics that one side has more holes than the other. Thats cuz i killed the motor on my drill.

Alright...First off...just wanna rub it in where Dan signed my pack a few weeks ago...

Next Up.. You can see where I drilled the holes for the speakers... Once you wear the pack, the holes are concealed.

And next off you can see the screws that are holding down the speakers...

Its kind of a hassle to take my pack apart so for now no inside pics of the mounted speakers... But just wanted to show you how Vinny and I have our speakers set up...

Hope the pics give ya a good idea :cool:

OH! ALSO... If ya ever meet Dan...I would specify where to sign your pack... Seems he likes signing right on the Cyclotron... Maybe to some..thats alright...but idk... I like mine signed right where it is, and people can still see it... But get it signed wherever you want...that's just my opinion :D
By Libtechinit
xtrmn8r17 wrote:
Vinny and I did the same. We mounted our speakers facing the mo board and drilled holes into the mo board. Sounds very nice. I had mine mounted upwards before, facing the cyclotron and had the same experience..muffled sound once the shell was placed on. Be careful with ur drill when drilling the mo board. Youll see in my pics that one side has more holes than the other. Thats cuz i killed the motor on my drill.
Well shoot if yours are both the same, that just leaves his speakers having a higher frequency range or power rating really. I was contemplating going the same route with the holes and having the speaker mounted against the mobo. I decided against it though, couldn't really tell you why either lol. It still sounds good, is really loud when I turn it up and the whole pack rumbles like its the real deal when the sounds play.

On a side note thats bad ass Dan signed your pack. I like where you picked for the signature spot as well. I wish I could have gotten at least my fathers signed before I give it to him for Xmas, that would have kicked ass.
By xtrmn8r17
Thanks! :D

Yeah i forgot what kinda speakers he used... Bose i think... IDK... I would have to ask him.

But yeah, Speakers up or down... whatever floats ur boat. My pack rumbles too with the base...i love it... makes the pack come alive... :cool:
By toylord
When Dan signed my pack he didn't have a silver sharpie, only black. I didn't think to bring one so he opted to sign my yellow sticker. A couple of weeks ago when I met Ernie he asked where I'd like him to sign I chose under the yellow sticker much like where Dan signed yours. He said, "I'll sign it small so you can fit the other guys in there too". I looked at him..smiled and said, "I appreciate your optimism...but feel free to sign large cause you rule." So...he did. =)
- Paul
2 down...2 to go.
By xtrmn8r17
toylord wrote:When Dan signed my pack he didn't have a silver sharpie, only black. I didn't think to bring one so he opted to sign my yellow sticker. A couple of weeks ago when I met Ernie he asked where I'd like him to sign I chose under the yellow sticker much like where Dan signed yours. He said, "I'll sign it small so you can fit the other guys in there too". I looked at him..smiled and said, "I appreciate your optimism...but feel free to sign large cause you rule." So...he did. =)
- Paul
2 down...2 to go.

Hahaha, Very Nice!
By Mr.Spider
did we ever find a cheaper source for those dpdt switches ?
By xtrmn8r17
I asked BSjohnson to get them for me. He had some at a local electronics shop. I can go check my local electronic shop to see if they have some. If they do, I could prob buy a couple.... but i would have to check first.
By Mr.Spider
I would be in for that, I'm only lacking that dpdt pushbutton, i have everything else BUT the push button
PKE Meter build project!

DO you have this files on sale?

Also, sorry I can’t answer the question, but[…]

There's some fun dialogue TV-edits, a replacement[…]

Thanks The_Y33TER ! Confirmation there's no elect[…]