Have a guide or tutorial? Post it up!
By jackdoud
So I like many people here I use the 12v "blue brick" cctv battery for my pack. The only annoying thing about it is the switch built into it that requires opening up my pack to turn off if I'm not going to be using it for a while. Well I finally got around to doing something about it. Here's what my battery looks like opened up:

Your design may vary but I'm sure the principle will be the same for all of them. Next I went to Radioshack and bought a 12v illuminated rocker switch:

I then soldered up three terminal plugs to act as power, ground and load:

You could just solder the wires directly to the switch but you'd have to install it on the motherboard first and then the battery would be permanently wired into your pack. I desoldered the original switch making sure to note what went where. I then soldered the extension wires to their correct positions.

Install the switch into your motherboard or wherever else you want to put it:

I then turned my blue brick into a red brick by wrapping it all back up with electrical tape. Plug in the switch wires in the correct order and the power/charge leads to your pack electronics and it's good to go!
AJ Quick, Carpeteria, julz and 2 others liked this
Looks good.

Did you happen to see what the inside where the cells look like? I'm curious to see how well (or poorly) they stuffed the stuff in there. I kind of see a bunch of bags, are those (presumably) each 1.5 volt or 3 volt batteries?
I didn't dig around too much as the battery was charged and I didn't want to short anything out and have it explode on me or something. I think is was just a stack of bags with a few small circuit boards connecting them.
Jack, I have a couple questions which are probably dumb questions but I know as much about electronics as I do ancient Chinese philosophy.

I have my GBFans light/sound kits ready to go and mounted to my motherboard and my blue brick is due to arrive any day now (hopefully). I've been planning a set-up just like what you have done, I think.

The on/off switch you have on your motherboard, which I get is the extension of the old battery switch, that is basically a kill switch for the power for everything correct? Turns the battery off. Does that need to be on for the battery to charge or off? I've seen other posts where people install a DPDT switch where is charging mode and and off mode and intergalactic teleportation mode and I don't know what else. Your set-up seems to be what I'm looking for. On and the battery is on and then lights/sounds can be turned on via the switches on the wand. Right?

Your other two existing battery wires plug into a charging port I'm guessing and power to the sound card or amp correct?

Thanks.
After reading a thread again people seem to use a DPDT switch to have a pack opperating mode and a charging mode and then off. Is that necessary? It seems your off/on makes more sense. Why would there need to be a separate charging mode?
I will toss an opinion in here. The DPDT isn't "necessary" but using one does provides a mechanism to ensure the battery isn't simultaneously charging and draining. This battery design uses the same wires to charge or provide power to the circuit. I don't have one so I am unsure if this would create any electrical problem but isolating the desired function, either charge or operate but not both, seems a good extra step IMHO. A DPDT would also allow the red LED to light only in charge mode. Seems odd to have that LED pulling additional load from the battery when operating (and max battery life is important).
Well s--t! I wish I had understood that prior to mounting my switch. I installed lighted rocker switch like Jack's in the photos above. I don't want to yank it out and leave an unsightly hole in my motherboard nor do I really want to add another switch. Hmmmm......
robpenfold wrote:Well s--t! I wish I had understood that prior to mounting my switch. I installed lighted rocker switch like Jack's in the photos above. I don't want to yank it out and leave an unsightly hole in my motherboard nor do I really want to add another switch. Hmmmm......
I tend to over-engineer things. There are DPDT switches that would fit that hole but it is an optional thing and I'm sure you will have no issues.
I have 2 switches on my pack, the battery switch and a power switch. Before I extended the lighted battery switch outside of the pack the battery was always "on" with the led constantly draining. It doesn't use that much power and wasn't really a problem but I always had to make sure and charge my pack before any event. The regular power switch I have installed would switch between powering the pack electronics and charging the battery. This lighted switch is just a secondary switch so I can turn off the battery without opening the pack. I don't recall off hand but I'm pretty sure I have to turn the battery on to charge it.
So if I understand correctly, the switch you show above is the "master power" switch that turns the battery on and then there is a second switch that toggles between charge mode and "I'm going to blast some ghosts" mode right? Turn the master on, second switch to charge mode to charge or other position to use the pack?

Sorry for what are I'm sure simple questions but I just need to wrap my head around this pretty fundamental electronics component.
Correct.

If it helps, here's what the inside of my pack looks like:

You can see the extended battery switch at the top. The 2 battery sockets are connected into a terminal block on the middle right that I use for power distribution and to make connecting or modifying anything easier. The main power/charge switch is the round part in the middle left next to the nut/bolt/washer I used to fill in a hole I drilled in the wrong spot. My charging socket is hidden under the ribbon cable in this picture and I extended my volume knob onto the motherboard shown on the middle right.

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]