Have a guide or tutorial? Post it up!
By Alan Hawkins
I have been making and selling my "Slim and simple PKE holsters" for a while now and have wanted to share a build thread so people can make their own. What has held me back is that it would also have to be a HOW TO SEW thread since this community is predominately male I have to assume that not all of you have this skill. But today I needed to make a holster for a friend and decided to document the process... So hold on tight! It's time to sew!

First, you can just show this thread to your girlfriend, wife, mom or little sister and see if you can con them into doing it for you. BUT! I challenge you, if you have never threaded a needle in your life then do this tutorial! I have never regretted learning the basics of sewing. My dad was military and he could sew and my mom is a literal genius at the art. I kind of have a ham-handed approach but when I make something it's strong and lasts forever.

Also, if you are just getting your gear together check my DIY budget belt fob thread here -

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 42&t=34969

What you will need -

needle / black thread
Lighter
Scissors
Thimble (I don't use one, so I'm an idiot with bloody holes in my fingers.)
Length of 1" black elastic.
Length of 2" black nylon strap.

Cut the elastic into two length that are -
10 1/2"
6 1/2"

Cut the 2" nylon into a 10" strap.

You will want to heal the edges so that they do not fray. I use a lighter or a candle and lightly pass the edges through the flame. This melts the fiber and seals the edges. Don't get crazy.

Now! Threading a needle. I use a double up method. This is where you pull the thread though the needle and pull it down until you can meet the two ends of your thread. I then tie a double knot into this. This provides a nice anchor for your thread and means that your stitches are actually made of double thread. VERY STRONG!

I'm old so I need these -

Get it? Make a knot that can't pull through the martial. Simple!

Now to make the loop that goes around the handle. Grab your smaller elastic piece and fold it over to where it overlaps 1 1/2" like so -

To start you want to push the needle through twice and leave a small loop -

Pass your needle through this and gently pull tight. This will insure that the thread has a nice tight anchor. You also want to end your stitch this way.

Now.. If this happens -

Don't panic! The thread gets twisted like a yo-yo string. Just gently pull the loop of thread until it untangles. It also helps to slowly pull your stitches. Take your time.

So now I have gone down the whole top of my overlap and am going to thread through the face so that I can do the same on the bottom. When I am done I will have a U shaped stitch for my loop. Tie off the thread like you started and you should have this -

Look at you! You're sewing!!!

Now do the same for the big loop with the same 1 1/2" overlap. I usually place mine over the PKE to be sure it is snug.

Once you get the big loop you should have this -

Now to close the belt loop. VERY IMPORTANT! YOU MUST PLACE THE BIG LOOP IN FIRST! Like so -

If you don't let the big loop lay in there loose you will be sad when you close the bottom and realize that there is no way to put the big one in. (I've done this. It sucks.) OK, now is a good time to grab a thimble. Once you sandwich the two loops together you will end up with four layers of strap to go through -

If your needle is not too thick it should actually go through all the layers pretty easy. I use a self-healing matt to push the needle through and then pull from there. You want to stitch loops along the whole bottom like so -

Once you get to the end you want to work your way up and tie a knot at the top of the handle loop -

Tie it off and go back to the other side of the belt loop and stitch up that side. Once you get to the top on the other side you want to skip up above the handle loop and place a quick stitch across the belt loop.

Can you dig it? You basically want to make a nice box. Once you have this you have a nice secure place for your $70 PKE meter prop / toy. Now to the top loop that you left dangling.

You want to place the top loop 2" from the top of the handle loop and place the edge of your overlap to the edge of the belt loop -

Make the same box of stitches that you made on the bottom. Just through the front of the belt loop (not the whole thing..) Once done you will have this -

DONE!
Sutton621, bishopdonmiguel, ShadowGTR and 3 others liked this
Awesome tutorial. Thank you for taking the time to document. Well done!
By UncleSirus
:love:
Thank you! I am so doing this. I have three uniforms (me, my wife, our 3-by next Halloween daughter) and three packs to build this year so little tutorials on simplifying the extras are fantastic.
:love:
Last edited by Kingpin on January 10th, 2016, 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed bbcode

Now that we at SAGB have actually got through our […]

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal el[…]

I have not heard of this. On the Matty PKE, if the[…]

Hard to tell if it’s an actual black fligh[…]