Have a guide or tutorial? Post it up!
By bishopdonmiguel
A friend and I recently acquired a set of (4) MT500 radios. Unfortunately, all of the antennas were long, not the preferred short version. Rather than buying replacements, I converted these longs for just a few bucks each.

Here is the supply list...
  • 1/2" grey PEX tubing (Home Depot, 6-feet) $2
    1/2" vacuum caps (Auto Zone, assorted pack) $3
    Canister of black Plasti-Dip (Home Depot) $7
    Small plastic wall anchor
    Superglue gel
Cut a piece of PEX for each stubby. I made 2-1/4" lengths but this is your discretion. On one end, reduce the inner diameter by supergluing section of a plastic wall anchor into the PEX. This will center the loose end of the antenna. On the other end, I hollowed out the PEX to allow the antenna base to fit within the PEX. Depending upon the design, you may or may not need to do this. Finally, remove the old rubber jacket from the antenna and discard.

Last edited by bishopdonmiguel on September 18th, 2018, 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
By bishopdonmiguel
Force the PEX over the antenna base, softening the plastic gently with a heat gun if necessary. Use a vise-grip to keep the PEX in place while it cools. When done, cut the antenna length so that approximately 1/8-inch extends from the PEX.

Last edited by bishopdonmiguel on September 18th, 2018, 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
By bishopdonmiguel
Apply superglue gel to the antenna base and PEX and press together. Use a vise-grip to hold the parts tightly in place while the glue sets.

Last edited by bishopdonmiguel on September 18th, 2018, 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
By bishopdonmiguel
Apply a liberal amount of superglue gel to the top of the PEX where the cut end of the antenna extends. Sprinkle some plastic dust or baking soda on the superglue to create a hard cap that will hold the antenna end. Set aside and let dry completely.

By bishopdonmiguel
Apply superglue gel to the inside end and walls of the plastic vacuum cap and install over the antenna end. Twist the cap as you install to ensure complete coverage of the superglue. Let dry overnight and then apply the Plasti-Dip per instructions on the canister. You will want a plan to hang the dipped antenna upside down while drying.

By bishopdonmiguel
After the Plasti-Dip dries, you're all done!

Carpeteria liked this

I haven't had Xbox Live for a while, but I'm consi[…]

I cut out the middleman and sprayed my pack and ba[…]

I'm hoping we'll see another set when the next F[…]

GBFANS Ghostlabs light kit

When you say you only have the proton pack light k[…]