Have a guide or tutorial? Post it up!
By pyhasanon
I know it's mentioned all over the place, in different builds from different opinions... but is there a definitive answer, or is it really just opinion-based?

Thanks!
By gamera1968
I've used Rust-Oleum on my new pack and it looks good to me.

But the BIG question is: flat black or satin finish? ;)
By Hammer
Krylon CoverMaxx. This is truly my new favorite paint. It's somewhat new. The black satin is great. It's about a dollar more than the other "better" paints at my local Wal Mart. My pack, trap and PKE are all wearing this. The coverage is great and I think the color and finish are spot on. Plus the dry time is pretty quick.
By Grimmy GB
Hammer wrote:Krylon CoverMaxx. This is truly my new favorite paint. It's somewhat new. The black satin is great. It's about a dollar more than the other "better" paints at my local Wal Mart. My pack, trap and PKE are all wearing this. The coverage is great and I think the color and finish are spot on. Plus the dry time is pretty quick.
Are you into the "Hammered" look? Sorry, I had to bro; I'm that guy...

Anyway, Krylon seems like it takes longer to cure. BUT it seems like it holds up better. Although, I'm not gonna lie, Rustoleum has always been my go-to; especially the 2x coverage for large scale projects.
By gamera1968
Oh yeah, the 2X coverage is great and dries pretty quick here in south Florida.
(Unless it's really humid, then it takes a bit longer)

And satin black - for myself anyway - looks better than flat over the textured paint from Rust-Oleum. ;)
By pyhasanon
I used the $1 flat black from Walmart on my Hero pack, and it turned out pretty good with an almost gun metal gray weathered look, it was pretty cool... however, I'm shooting for a new dark black look for my wife's pack...
twmedford23 liked this
By pyhasanon
Powder residue? Hmmm... I know I kinda buffed them with a towel, but it still looked Gun Metal Gray to me...
By twmedford23
Walmart, Dollar General or Home Depot's cheapo gloss black for shell and pack parts. After trying MUCH more expensive options from Krylon and Rustoleum with mixed results(at best), I found that the dollar stuff works consistently better. I wouldn't worry about the gloss, either - it really isn't that much glossier than the other brands' semi-gloss offerings and is real easy to knock down with some extra fine steel wool. Of course, this is just what works best for me.
By Travis Burrell
Im thinking of going with the Hammered Spray Paint texture on my pack and wanted to know how you guys have felt about it on yours? Trying to make it look real authentic. The Hammered color though to me looks graphite on the sites. Should I spray the Hammered Texture paint and then a flat black or will I run into problems with the flat black not attaching well over the Hammered texture. Has anyone done it this way??

Trying to look like these..

I just don't want it to look like this...
By Travis Burrell
Actually, now that I think about it. I wonder if I should try for a silver Hammered paint and spray over with a matte black? This way whatever chips off the edges would give it more of an authentic look?
By pyhasanon
It depends on what you define as "authentic"... Some people think aluminum should show through as it weathers... Some think it should look more like rusted cast iron... I personally think the rusted cast iron looks better, and I think they were aiming for that in GB2, but again, it's your preference...
By Travis Burrell
I think ill go graphite Hammered and then Grill Heated flat over that. should look good.

So what all should have the hammered look and what should just be black?

Should I basically just do the shell and then all the tubes and bumper flat?
By pyhasanon
Travis Burrell wrote:I think ill go graphite Hammered and then Grill Heated flat over that. should look good.

So what all should have the hammered look and what should just be black?

Should I basically just do the shell and then all the tubes and bumper flat?
Here you go... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27710
Travis Burrell liked this

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]