Have a guide or tutorial? Post it up!
Just wanted to say I used your method to dye my Nomex and it worked perfectly! The only difference is I took mine out about 15 minutes before you did. It wasn't as hard as I prepared myself for it to be. The hardest part was waiting.

Here's two pics of it afterwards next to my Tru-Spec...with and without flash. Looks kinda purple in the pic, but not in person...it's also in a dark closet with no natural light so...Nomex on the left, TS on the right.

Thank you for the tutorial! I think this should be stickied so everyone has an easier time finding it.
Glad I found this. Everything I have read told me that Nomex was going to be really hard to dye and this really makes me feel more confident.

I'd like to ask about the sizing, also. I'm having a hard time figuring out my size. I went to flightsuits.com and looked at their sizing chart and measurement instructions, but I'm coming up with discrepancies. I ordered a 34S from eBay and it was too small. I could get it on, zip it up, but it wasn't comfortable. And getting it off was a little hard. How much difference is there between sizes...34, 36, 38...
I'm 5'9"...about 145. Any help on sizing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
@Ryusui

i had the exact same problem finding the right size ! im 5.8 .. about 205 ... i tested 2 different sizes before finding the right one ..which is a 48R ... i would suggest u a 44 R or 46 R

i also found this:

Flight Suit sizing is determined by chest size in inches and height.
The first 2 numbers are your chest size in inches and the last letter is your height. up to 5' 8" is S. From
5'8"to 5' 11"' is R, anything over 5' 11"' is L. Flight suits are made to go over under garments not outerwear. The
actual difference in the length of the flight suit size S and Size R is only 4".
The difference in length of size R and size L is again only 4".

i had to dye my suit 4 (!) times before i had the right color tone .... i tried RIT dye but it was still not gray enough ...so i used normal black liquid dye (not RIT) and finally i had the color i was looking for ... for the pads i used spray color

Hi guys,

Many thanks for the advice although unfortunately it didnt work for me!, I follwed the steps posted by both solidgoldcaddy and egons glasses to the letter, the only difference being that I can think of is that I used the bath tub, but the dye just did'nt see to take.

The problem was obviously due to the nomex coating, the only place I can think where i went wrong was with the dryer sheets. Im from the uk and the only drey sheets we sell here are to fragenced or colour catchers? is this the wrong sort?

on the plus side it did appear to dye my knee pads well! Can any one offer any advice on what else I can do?

thanks in advance
So after more than a year, I am finally dying my suits. I have the first one in the dye bath right now, and it has less than an hour to go. After it's done, I'll get some pics up here.

---------------------------------------------------------
Edit: August 30, 2010

I finished the dye job last week and am quite pleased with the results. A big "thank you" to SolidGoldCaddy and EgonsGlasses. I used EgonsGlasses' method of dying in a plastic storage container so that I wouldn't risk having leftover dye in my washer. The velcro strips are a bit dark for my liking, but I prefer the overall color of the suit in its current state as opposed to the straight-off-the-shelf-khaki.
(flash)
(no flash)
(flash)
(no flash)

I have two suits that needed dying and I was going to post a side-by-side comparison of a dyed and an undyed suit...
Unfortunately, after the first suit came out looking so good, I got extremely anxious and threw the second suit in right away. It wasn't till after I had just put it in the dye and was walking downstairs that I realized I forgot to take a picture of the two different colored suits.
Well, I hope to get a second suit soon. Maybe at that time I'll remember to get a comparison pic.
where can you get the dye other than the internet? Walmart and Giant had every color BUT pearl gray
Ok now we are getting somewhere. Thanks man. So my suit is like a medium tan.Its a nomex and khaki is the best way to describe the color. Is the pearl gray going to lighten the tan? i mean i understand that it will dye it, it just seems like it will be hard to make it lighter for a gray. The GB 1 and 2 suits always looked like a light tan color. Are they a gray? Also, is there any suits you can get that you dont even have to dye? I dont mean to be a pain or sound like an idiot, i just dont really know ANYTHING about dyeing clothing other than the directions on here.
I bought a packet of Rit color remover and a packet of pearl grey. Should I forgo the remover and get another packet of grey for this? The suit will be khaki nomex. I haven't seen any mention of the color remover here, but in the rothco thread. Anyone tried color remover on nomex, or would i be wasting my time?
alright, well I followed the instructions to the T, and overall I wasn't happy with the results, so I put it back in the dye bath..... I am using a huge storage container instead of the washer...I'm not sure if because the Nomex suit I am using has been used, but I did the dryer sheet trick (10 sheets), but the suit came out somewhat splotchy... here are before and after pics..You can't really see the splotches in the pic, but its definetely there

Before

After

It more or less did tone down the original color, but there are slightly darker spots all over...

Did anyone else have this issue??
Right there with ya! Had the same exact thing. In short, I gave up on nomex and moved on to this:

http://www.workinggear.com/gc/customer/ ... bal_search

It's a poly/cotton that worked beautifully...took the dye with NO problems. Still good enough to bust in, so why not! little pricey, but after paying for two nomex suits that resulted in absolute CRAP results, I didn't mind getting what I should have bought in the first place.
Oh yes, the only bad side is making sure your order FITS before it arrives. And unfortunately, I was wrong by ONE SIZE. So I have an extra one that's 46-48. Might check the workinggear.com's size chart and see what you could fit into. Maybe you could have my extra...for a little less. Haven't done anything but put it on and simply knew it was slightly too large for me.
I already have a tru-specs, and won the Nomex off of ebay for $30 shipped..it was 1 size too big but doesn't fit bad...I may just keep this one as is and wear it as a "worn in" suit with stains and such...maybe do some weathering on the logo patch and name tag too
I am on the fence on dyeing. I'm sulking about it in my build thread too. Anyone who did dye it, regret dyeing it? The ones that took the dye look good to me.
PssdffJay wrote:I am on the fence on dyeing. I'm sulking about it in my build thread too. Anyone who did dye it, regret dyeing it? The ones that took the dye look good to me.
Oops, darn auto correct, didn't mean sulking about it, I meant talking about it. But it's probably the same thing. My new suite came in today, still on the fence. Anyone do this recently want to weigh in?

https://i.imgur.com/cMwtW9y.jpg Where do th[…]

Ecto Containment Unit

Hey sorry I never saw this…it’s just […]

Greetings from Montana

Hey and welcome

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]