Post pictures up of your Props, or a link to your prop gallery on Ghostbusters Fans.
This past halloween I was invited to a party a friend of mine was throwing. It was a costumed event, so naturally I decided that I had to go as a GB. Another of my friends wanted to go as one of the boys in gray as well, so I went to work on making the packs.

I bought everything from the dollar tree ($1 for every individual item!), with a few various small details found in boxes in the garage. The bulk of the pack was made out of foam board that I sliced then hot glued together (LOADS of hot glue). The cyclotron was made from the classic cake pan. I found little wooden basket/box things that I used to make the ion arm, proton gun etc. A rainbow belt was cut and used for the ribbon and an old cable cord was used for the pack-to-gun connection.

The proton gun was made with one of the basket/box things, a turkey baster, a wine opener and a lightsaber type toy. The handle of the gun was the handle of the lightsaber. The glowing lights from the lightsaber were fed through the plastic front of the turkey baster so that the tip of the gun actually glowed (red) and charging sounds were produced from it. The foam sword part of the lightsaber was sliced and turned into the grip at the front of the proton gun.

It was primed then spray-painted black. I made stickers in photoshop and stuck them to the pack (stickers not seen in these images). I also added random screws in to make it look more realistic, as well as painted on rust and scratches. Then, finally, backpack straps were reupholstered with a dull green fabric and glued onto the packs.

Without further ado, here are the (at that time incomplete, with a few of the final details missing) $15 proton packs:

GothicGeek liked this
ThrowingChicken wrote:Not bad for 15 bucks, a glue gun and a box cutter.
Haha, yeah, though I would have much rather worn a screen-accurate pack, I just didn't have the time or money to make one. Heck... I still don't, unfortunately. We were still the talk of the party, and showing off some ghostbusters love is all that matters.

Wires and stickers were added, along with some other random items. A friend of mine actually opened up the trunk of my car and saw them. He thought they were bombs, no joke.
BGSchoolcraft wrote:
ThrowingChicken wrote:Not bad for 15 bucks, a glue gun and a box cutter.
Haha, yeah, though I would have much rather worn a screen-accurate pack, I just didn't have the time or money to make one.
You can make a damn good pack for less than $15 with just foamcore, some PVC, a box cutter, and hotglue.

I made my 1st one in for almost nothing and it took about 6 hours to finish.
Evil Stripe wrote:good work..Still better than a fancy dress pack.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "fancy dress pack". Are you talking about the crappy blow-up costume pack?
Zander Yurami wrote:You can make a damn good pack for less than $15 with just foamcore, some PVC, a box cutter, and hotglue.
I've actually considered using foamcore. Though I think what I'm eventually going to do is buy a Studio Creations pack (despite the soft details) and work with it. The problem with that lies with the gun. I don't want to spend upwards of $100 for a resin gun kit. If Studio Creations could vaccuform the basic body of the gun, it would be a lot more affordable.
For a first serious pack, I really wouldn't mind using the SC shell.
BGSchoolcraft wrote:
Evil Stripe wrote:good work..Still better than a fancy dress pack.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "fancy dress pack". Are you talking about the crappy blow-up costume pack?
Zander Yurami wrote:You can make a damn good pack for less than $15 with just foamcore, some PVC, a box cutter, and hotglue.
I've actually considered using foamcore. Though I think what I'm eventually going to do is buy a Studio Creations pack (despite the soft details) and work with it. The problem with that lies with the gun. I don't want to spend upwards of $100 for a resin gun kit. If Studio Creations could vaccuform the basic body of the gun, it would be a lot more affordable.
For a first serious pack, I really wouldn't mind using the SC shell.
I do think that he was talking about that pack. "fancy dress" is sort of a British turn of phrase for costume, ie: fancy dress party. Check out the Hitchhiker's Guide movie (2005) and you'll see what I mean.
Wow, looking back these were pretty bad, haha. Still proud of them though... Worked pretty hard on them. I'm building a more accurate one for this Halloween with a SC shell. I've made SO many mistakes so far... But I'm learning from them (the hard way).
TheRockman wrote:
Ghostgryphon wrote:15 dollar packs that is pretty cool.
Damn. If you had just waited 16 more days to say the thread was cool, the last comment would have been a year old. :sigh:
Lol. My bad.

Sent from my DROIDX using Ghostbusters Fans on Android

I missed out on the Haslab packs too. I am conside[…]

Thanks The_Y33TER ! Confirmation there's no elect[…]

A little sneak preview of one of the bedrock parts[…]

Where do the other ends of the red/yellow wire[…]