For news, reviews, videos and general topics about Ghostbusters: The Video Game, and the newer apps on Android and iOS.
Anyone else realise that the Matty 6 and 12 inch GB figures sculpts were modelled after the GBTVG models done by Ian Mcintosh as opposed to the actors actual likenesses?

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ghos ... ame-poster

I never realised this until I used SGSSAA in the game and got an unpixellated look at it.

Sorry if it was brought up before.

Also the Ecto Goggles toy replica is a 1:1 scale version of the one included in the earlier 12 inch Ray Stantz figure.

if this was the case, then they shouldnt have even bothered hand sculpting them - if they have a digital 3d model file, cant they just make figures from that? I mean even people at home can buy 3d printers that produce digital models that print exactly what the model looks like.... seems like they could have been more accurate? I think the video game characters look more like the actors then the figures look like the actors.
Huh. Didn't realize that until now.

Good eyes indeed. :cool:
Yeah, seeing as one of these GB:TVG flyers is included in every Mattel Ghostbusters figure, it's not surprising.

@joeghostbuster: It's certain man they are from GBTVG, from Egon's asymmetric hair to facial expressions to the fact that Ray's right eyebrow is higher than the left, they are Ian's models from Ghostbusters: The Video Game.

They can't just print out the models because Matty Collector is unlikely to waive the sculpting invoice. Also articulation mandates a dedicated sculptor as to phased releases. (i.e. with gloves, without gloves, slimed, unslimed, permanent proton pack, removeable proton pack, the streams, stands, GB2 line, Ready to believe you line, all the ghosts, etc.)

Maybe it's also why the Four Horsemen made the Ghostbusters figures torso a swivel waist as opposed to a ball joint.
Not sure which figures were released after 4H left,
gold333 wrote:Also the Ecto Goggles toy replica is a 1:1 scale version of the one included in the earlier 12 inch Ray Stantz figure.
Not 1:1... that means the same size.

Did you mean 1/6th scale?

For the toys that crossed scales, including the 12" accessories that later became 6" accessories for Courtroom Egon, it's either a by-product of the same digital files being used, or possibly an older method known as pantography, which used a series of reduction gears to either sculpt up or sculpt down a duplicate in another size.

As for the actor likenesses, I don't really see any 'exact' resemblance. If you put the TVG character alongside the toy and ALSO alongside stills of the movie actors, you'd probably see equivalent amounts of variance from any version to any other.

In other words, the toys look like the game avatars because both look like the actors.

Look at how different the 12" Ray's face looks from the 6" Ray's face. If both were patterned after the same source, there shouldn't be any variance.

Just my two cents. Shrug.

Alex
The 12inch figures' facial sculpt and fabric clothes perhaps less.

But the 6 inch figures, from facial sculpt down to the articulation and the way the clothes ripple are GBtVG Ian Mcintosh's video game models.

Compare the green video game poster I linked above to the Matty figures, then compare both to the diamond select figures. It becomes obvious if you compare all three.

(Ray's right eyebrow and Egon's hair says it all.)
gold333 wrote:The 12inch figures' facial sculpt and fabric clothes perhaps less.

But the 6 inch figures, from facial sculpt down to the articulation and the way the clothes ripple are GBtVG Ian Mcintosh's video game models.

Compare the green video game poster I linked above to the Matty figures, then compare both to the diamond select figures. It becomes obvious if you compare all three.

(Ray's right eyebrow and Egon's hair says it all.)
Nah, trust me. I spent 3 years guiding those sculpts.

Here's a comparison for Egon. There may be one or two wrinkles that are similar, but that's more a result of cloth naturally folding a particular way universally. Bill Murray's lower pant legs are even further from the game model.
(don't mind the arrows. These images are reference images given to the studio that was making the cinematics so I had to point out the location of the accessories)

The proportions for many things are off. The belt and accessories don't even match. It would be easier to just make their own mold than to adjust the game mold.

There was talk about them using our meshes for toys, but they never asked for the sculpts and the game meshes would have done them no good.
gold333 liked this
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

see I thought the video game models were perfect - if they somehow could have taken those exact models and turned them into articulated plastic, they would have been absolutely amazing - granted what we got was really really good... but their poor business practices overshadowed the quality of the toys and I lost all interest in Matty GB figures - about a year ago I sold my entire (loose) collection on ebay... but I have since acquired some of their MIB Egon figures as the passing of Harold Ramis hit me pretty hard and I wanted a little something as sort of a memorial to keep in my collection.
Points taken.

To me the soft, caricature like Matty 6inch likenesses were in a similar soft design as the game models. As opposed to say, the completely different harder likenesses of the Diamond Select figures.

In fact I presumed that had Louis Tully or Dana been in the game they would have looked like the Matty figures.

However, esp. in light of Skankerzero's post (who actually worked on the game), I've dropped my superstition :)

Ps: Joey, I agree with you. And personally I still prefer the Matty figures to the DS figures. The DS figures lack detail in my view (e.g, opaque elements which should be transparent, etc.)

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]

And, lastly, for now, the video that prompted me t[…]