For news, reviews, videos and general topics about Ghostbusters: The Video Game, and the newer apps on Android and iOS.
By Bangoose
Didnt find any threads about this gem from the Genesis era. Out of all the retro GB games this one by far was the best one imo.

Pros :
- It was an original story and didnt reuse the plot from any of the movies
- The different weapon styles for the proton pack.
- Cartoonish ghosts, fitting in with the style of the movies
- Nice 16 bit rendition of the theme

Cons :
- Lack of Winston, thus further fueling the Sega is racist rumor
- Final boss of the game was just a rehashed Gozer if you think about it
- Lack of two player mode, this would have been a great two player experience.
By BradRedfield
I remember coming across the game at the local Blockbuster around 1994/5-ish. I had no idea that more GB console games existed outside the NES/Gameboy stuff. I was blown away when I played it. Out of the three good GB games to come out back then (The other two being the HAL Laboratory-developed GBII titles) this was my favourite.

I hated the Castle level, though. The annoying music coupled with the shrill lightning sound effect made it a slog to get through.
Bangoose wrote:Cons :- Lack of Winston, thus further fueling the Sega is racist rumor
I dunno about the racist thing but it could've been a gameplay issue concerning the balance between characters.

Ray was slow but tough, Egon was fast but weak and Peter was somewhere in the middle. I dunno how they would do Winston without throwing off that balance.

Little known factoid: The game wasn't developed by Sega but another Japanese developer called Compile. They're best known for their Puyo-Puyo series (Which was once localized as Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.) and the cult classic M.U.S.H.A.!
By Bangoose
Im good until i get to the last stage of the game. The boss rush section owned me every time, made me wish there was an unlimited turkey cheat so i could refill my health every time.
I'm really surprised that no-one has ever tried to mod it.
There's plenty of things that could be done with (I guess, I'm no programmer) little efforts like including Winston, changing the colors of the suits/weapons rays, including new levels etc.
By Bangoose
EddieSpenser wrote:I'm really surprised that no-one has ever tried to mod it.
There's plenty of things that could be done with (I guess, I'm no programmer) little efforts like including Winston, changing the colors of the suits/weapons rays, including new levels etc.
Someone did make a modified version of the game that changed the uniform colors to match the ones from the first movie. Also another person made a sprite sheet of what Winston might have looked like if he were included

SkyHighGam3r liked this
EddieSpenser wrote:I'm really surprised that no-one has ever tried to mod it.
Sega Europe allows you to mod MD games now.
By Funktion
pferreira1983 wrote:Sega Europe allows you to mod MD games now.
Yeah, on Steam, for the games they released on the platform.

Unfortunately, Ghostbusters is a licensed title, so the chances of it appearing on Steam are pretty much none.
It's a shame, I own the game, but my Megadrive is having some issues, and I would love to be able to legally own and be able to just play it on PC.

Despite the liberties with the license, it's my favorite of all Ghostbusters games (yes, I even prefer it over the Ghostbusters 2009 game).
By SkyHighGam3r
Winston being 100% absent, as if he never existed, was always so confusing to me as a kid.

I feel so bad for that character, from how Ernie Hudson describes the original script to how they made him the driver in the RGB Cartoons... Winston gets the short end of every stick.
By SkyHighGam3r
Funktion wrote:
pferreira1983 wrote:It's a shame, I own the game, but my Megadrive is having some issues, and I would love to be able to legally own and be able to just play it on PC.
Dude, if you own the game there is 0 issue with you having a digital copy. Get yourself some Fusion or RetroArch and then a rom. USB Sega controllers are cheap on ebay too. (The Saturn ones are awesome)

If you have questions about emulation, let me know.
Kid Chameleon wrote:Kega Fusion is one of the most accurate emulators around. Virtually indistinguishable from the real hardware.
Almost perfect. One issue I noticed with a longplay was Death and Return of Superman which wasn't accurate sound wise. I'm not sure if it was Kega Fusion the person was using but the game didn't sound right.
By Kid Chameleon
pferreira1983 wrote:
Kid Chameleon wrote:Kega Fusion is one of the most accurate emulators around. Virtually indistinguishable from the real hardware.
Almost perfect. One issue I noticed with a longplay was Death and Return of Superman which wasn't accurate sound wise. I'm not sure if it was Kega Fusion the person was using but the game didn't sound right.
The Mega Drive/Genesis 2 has a few sound issues here and there (Eliminate Down is the one that springs to mind) so he might have been using one of those or possibly one of the FPGA hardware clones which have very serious sound issues (you'll get better sound quality if you run KGen98 through DOSBox).
By pferreira1983
Kid Chameleon wrote:
pferreira1983 wrote:Almost perfect. One issue I noticed with a longplay was Death and Return of Superman which wasn't accurate sound wise. I'm not sure if it was Kega Fusion the person was using but the game didn't sound right.
The Mega Drive/Genesis 2 has a few sound issues here and there (Eliminate Down is the one that springs to mind) so he might have been using one of those or possibly one of the FPGA hardware clones which have very serious sound issues (you'll get better sound quality if you run KGen98 through DOSBox).
Well after hearing how his emulator handled the sound to that game I tried the game on my Mega Drive 1 and had no sound issues whatsoever. The game sounded exactly as it should do.
By Kid Chameleon
Roger Rabbit wrote:Insanely difficult. Had to raid all the safes in one level over and over again until I could afford stronger equipment, and even then it was a chore to play through.
You don't have to buy anything until Woody House and even then all you need are the Infared Glasses and the Bubble Projectile. The 3-Way Shot makes things a bit easier for the Penthouse and add the Phaser Shell for the Castle. In between that, add energy tank upgrades where possible and you'll have everything you need to beat the game without having to go looking for money.

I once did the first four levels with just the normal shot so I could afford the $35,000 Barrier Shield. It wasn't worth it because it sucks up all your energy. The only thing I've never been able to do is activate the Gyoza - it's always been unavailable.
By EddieSpenser
Kid Chameleon wrote:The only thing I've never been able to do is activate the Gyoza - it's always been unavailable.
You have to go in the store while in mission. It restores HP.
By SSJmole
I just got this other day

First thing i did when i saw it uses old carts too was eBay ghostbusters and MMPR (loved it as a kid where it's like street fighter and you even fight and unlock green) if carts run on it (it warns not all do) I'll post about it for sure. As a kid loved my Megadrive
By SSJmole
CPU64 wrote:Most reviews on that multi game console is that it's lacking in audio and video quality compared to the actual Genesis.
Audio and video are not that much worse and 80 built in and wireless pads kinda make up for it played my mmpr game and GB a little both are still wonderful will go in more details later
By pferreira1983
SSJmole wrote:I just got this other day
I see you've fallen into the trap many have. All you need to know is that half the Mega Drive library isn't compatible and that the audio for 90% is poor. Return it for a refund. :wink:
SSJmole wrote:Audio and video are not that much worse
Try playing a Brian Lara cricket game then tell me the video and audio is fine compared to the original.
By SSJmole
pferreira1983 wrote:
SSJmole wrote:I just got this other day
I see you've fallen into the trap many have. All you need to know is that half the Mega Drive library isn't compatible and that the audio for 90% is poor. Return it for a refund. :wink:
SSJmole wrote:Audio and video are not that much worse
Try playing a Brian Lara cricket game then tell me the video and audio is fine compared to the original.
No im ok lol ghostbusters and power rangers were all i wanted and those seem fine. I have no beef and have nerding out on those 2 since
CPU64 liked this
By pferreira1983
SSJmole wrote:No im ok lol ghostbusters and power rangers were all i wanted and those seem fine. I have no beef and have nerding out on those 2 since
The point I'm making is the audio isn't fine on that AtGames thing unless you like poor quality. :wink:

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]