For news, reviews, videos and general topics about Ghostbusters: The Video Game, and the newer apps on Android and iOS.
I wonder if there is any possibility that the video game which is highly regarded in the fan community would ever be released on next gen consoles. I'm not sure how well the game performed financially, but with the franchise on the public's mind, it could appeal to more people who passed on it the first time around. Of course, fans who love the game would probably buy another copy on an updated console. They've done it with plenty of other games. It's still regarded by many fans as the sequel we never got. I don't know much about game development, but surely it wouldn't cost as much as it did to make it the first time around.
This was talked about in another thread. Basically, the first game did "okay", but no where near enough to be worth to remaster and convert for a PS4 or X-Box One (I think it was guess-timated to cost around $500,000 to remaster). Basically, the only way it'll see the light of day on either of said systems is if it becomes backwards compatible on either system.
Egon's Pompadour liked this
There's a chance because of the new movie and the fact that there is a vocal group of classic GB supporters showing Sony that interest in classic GB is still high.
gold333 wrote:There's a chance because of the new movie and the fact that there is a vocal group of classic GB supporters showing Sony that interest in classic GB is still high.
(there's no chance, at least not right now)
skankerzero wrote:
gold333 wrote:There's a chance because of the new movie and the fact that there is a vocal group of classic GB supporters showing Sony that interest in classic GB is still high.
(there's no chance, at least not right now)
What makes you say that Skanker?

A remaster would cost almost nothing compared to a new game, and the 2016 movie will wake the interest of lots of kids for the GB franchise. The 2009 game doesn't work on the new consoles as far as I'm aware (correct me if I'm wrong)

And the fact that young boys might find male rolemodels more appealing to their interest and purchase worthy.

The only reason I see it not happening is if Sony would want to distance itself from 1984 Ghostbusters, which it hasn't demonstrated (and would be very foolish anyway.)

Unless there is something I'm missing.
gold333 wrote:A remaster would cost almost nothing compared to a new game, and the 2016 movie will wake the interest of lots of kids for the GB franchise.
It's still a lot of money to spend on updating a game which may not sell at a higher rate than it did in its previous release, and I believe Skanker noted that the game didn't perform as well as hoped, despite it being well-received critically.
gold333 wrote:The only reason I see it not happening is if Sony would want to distance itself from 1984 Ghostbusters
As Skanker may detail if he chimes in on this topic, there're more reasons behind a revamp of the game not going ahead now, or later, than just a case of Sony "distancing themselves"* from the classic 1984 Ghostbusters.

* And it's clear this is not the case, if they were, we wouldn't be seeing more merchandise based on the 1984 franchise.
gold333 wrote:
skankerzero wrote: (there's no chance, at least not right now)
What makes him say that? He was part of the development team, that's what makes him say that...
pyhasanon wrote:
gold333 wrote:
What makes him say that? He was part of the development team, that's what makes him say that...
Pyhasanon, I've been posting here for almost 5 years and have enjoyed discussing Skankerzero's involvement on GBTVG numerous times with him. His insights are one of a kind and invaluable.

I was simply asking him to elaborate on his opinion.

GBTVG did okish coming into a 2009 world that had not seen any GB movie for 20 years. I think it would fare quite differently in 2016/17 at a fraction of the cost of development.

@Kingpin: lets hope he does, I'd be very interested in knowing the real reasons.
I assume it will be Backwards Compatible by the time the movie comes out, or around that time at least.

I'll put it digitally in my Xbox One's HDD. Ghostbusters 3 needs to be on everything as far as I'm concerned.

Gam3B0x still plays it in 3D, but being able to play it online with more people again via Xbox One would be awesome too.
Kid Chameleon wrote:The game is available on Steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/9870/
Understood, but some of us would rather play it on a Sony/Microsoft console...
SkyHighGam3r liked this
gold333 wrote:
skankerzero wrote: (there's no chance, at least not right now)
I don't really want to just come out and post the reason, but you're not far off in your post.

I recently asked about doing a remaster and was given the reason. That's not to say it won't happen if this movie is successful though.
gold333 liked this
Kingpin wrote:
It's still a lot of money to spend on updating a game which may not sell at a higher rate than it did in its previous release, and I believe Skanker noted that the game didn't perform as well as hoped, despite it being well-received critically.
Everyone says different things. Other sources or articles I've read say it was a huge hit. I know I had huge trouble getting a copy in time for Christmas that year. Not sure who's right or wrong when it comes to the game doing well.
pferreira1983 wrote:
Kingpin wrote:
Everyone says different things. Other sources or articles I've read say it was a huge hit. I know I had huge trouble getting a copy in time for Christmas that year. Not sure who's right or wrong when it comes to the game doing well.
It did well enough but I remember one of our assistant producers telling me about a year and a half later that it finally made it's money back.

Most hit games make their money back in the first month.
skankerzero wrote:
pferreira1983 wrote:Everyone says different things. Other sources or articles I've read say it was a huge hit. I know I had huge trouble getting a copy in time for Christmas that year. Not sure who's right or wrong when it comes to the game doing well.
It did well enough but I remember one of our assistant producers telling me about a year and a half later that it finally made it's money back.

Most hit games make their money back in the first month.
So it probably did as well as that other great franchise into video game revival Tron 2.0. Bummer. :(

Using rip-stop cotton and custom dye for each char[…]

The journey from commonplace to Ecto-75.

Whole car is great but the pack trolly...how?

Proton Props???

If anyone here is still pondering ordering from th[…]

I haven't done the new update to the Spirits Unlea[…]