By Tyrael
The other day I had one of those random-ass thoughts that pop into your head out of nowhere. With the new movie coming up (for good or evil, we have yet to see), what will a more modern PKE look like? Or, if we go by the original movies, what would it look like over time and variation by franchise?

I thought about it for a while and realized that having to hold the thing to take a scan could be an issue for some situations, so why not mount it to the wrist? After an hour or so in SolidWorks, I had this drawn up:

That's the top part of the shell. Bottom is a pretty basic box with some screw mount hardpoints. Not really worth posting a pic of it. It could either be mounted to the offhand arm via straps or Velcro/hook-and-loop. I didn't go with the moving wings (though I do love them) because it was just a simple idea and I didn't really care to pursue it to including stepper motors or anything; just a simple chaser and backlight would do.

Anyway, just another one of those random thoughts that I spared a bit of time to developing. I'm printing the shells tonight and tomorrow as a bit of a time-waster in between working at my job and working on the second iteration of my Giga Meter kits. I've already got some spare chaser circuits around that I can use for this (developed for my Thunder and Lightning pack that I keep putting off) so putting it all together shouldn't take much effort.
That's pretty cool. I'd like something like that to put my phone in at cons.
alphabeta001 liked this
That would be sweet. It could still have the blinky lights but fit an iPhone as the display.
By Tyrael
Finally got around to remodeling it from the ground up and fixing the dimensions. A bit less shoe-sized this time around.

Already got a simple chaser circuit ordered from OSH Park for the perimeter LEDs and a static light for the backlight and three rectangular LEDs below it. Overall, very simplistic, but different.

There may be another project I'm working on in those pictures...
alphabeta001 liked this
By Tyrael

The OSH Park boards ended up refusing to work for some damn reason, so I went ahead with the original plan and used a spare compact pack wrist gauntlet chaser I had leftover from that project for this.

All in all, a pretty fun little side project. Nothing exceedingly complex, but still enjoyable to work on.
alphabeta001, kaison liked this
It's obviously not accurate, but I like the idea. I still think it would be a cool way to store a phone at an event.
Tyrael wrote:If you think I was going for screen accuracy for a custom prop, I think there's miscommunication happening. :-P
Lol, not at all. I still think it's a cool idea and might be interested in one.
By Tyrael
I'll see what I can drum up for designs later. Right now I'm in panicked-maker mode since DragonCon is nearing on a month away and I'm going to be building another (much bigger) custom piece for that!

Using rip-stop cotton and custom dye for each char[…]

The journey from commonplace to Ecto-75.

Whole car is great but the pack trolly...how?

Proton Props???

If anyone here is still pondering ordering from th[…]

I haven't done the new update to the Spirits Unlea[…]