By CarpathianKitten
Looking for a little advice.

I just brought a Matty PKE (after stupidly selling mine years back), but on arrival it was evident that there were a few extra scratches on the handle. I'm not sure wether to take a silver sharpie to them to match the rest of the Matty weathering or re-spray the whole thing?!?

Any help would be great!
By gold333
I believe the weathering became different as the Marty PKE line advanced.

The original prototype was very nicely weathered with a lot of shades.

Then the first run had slightly less shades but is what we know from most pics on the net.

By the time of the second release the silver weathering had lost depth and shades. Whether it's due to laziness on the part of the painters or smith else I don't know.

What I mean is most noticeable on the weathering patch between the two buttons near the handle.

In the originals it's more realistic, on newer versions it's simply a thick silver blob.

One day I'll mod mine to look like the prototype as I have the later releases.
CarpathianKitten liked this
By Croker
Well I never knew that, thanks for the info. I'll have you go and have a look at some online pics and see if I can determine which version I have.
By gold333
Sure.

Be careful though.

As people mention on the release thread of the Matty PKE on the rpf forum, the silver weathering isn't painted on like you would expect. It's actually real weathering, the metallic black paint is rubbed/dissolved off in places to reveal the silver underneath. If you take 800 grit sand paper to the weathering, the weathering won't come off but increase.

You have to be lucky that the original weathering looks like usage marks and not melted paint. Or else the only option is to repaint.

For reference, this is the prototype:

This is an original release (Dec 2010):

This is a rerelease (Jul 2012):

You can see the weathering is rushed / not as realistic.
By gold333
Ps: I also believe the beeping is less loud on the re-release in accordance with users feedback, though I'm not sure.
By CarpathianKitten
Thanks for all the info. My PKE (except from the battle scars), is really ott.

I've taken a Dremel to it, and it's stripped down, waiting for paint. I'm going to base the look off of the screen used seen in the Visual Guide.
By gold333
CarpathianKitten wrote:Thanks for all the info. My PKE (except from the battle scars), is really ott.

I've taken a Dremel to it, and it's stripped down, waiting for paint. I'm going to base the look off of the screen used seen in the Visual Guide.
You're welcome. Good luck.

PS: With Visual Guide you mean that new book, or what do you mean exactly?

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]