By Cole Funstuff
Update 3/23/2020 - Adding reference album link:
https://imgur.com/a/TpBAm

Update 3/1/2019 - OnShape source located here:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7d22a ... e4977e2d33

I'll attempt to start exporting some STL files to Thingiverse and update this post with the links. Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been working on a 3D model of the RGB PKE meter based on Kingpins plans for a while now. Tyrael's Giga Meter and now countspatula's Ghost Trap really gave me the push to publish this post in hopes to get more 3D models out there for everyone to build from:

The goal of this projects is to create a "working" PKE meter that has the following features:
- 3D printable (minimal overhangs and ease of assembly)
- LCD screen with animated effects of different modes we see in the cartoon
- Servo controlled wings with LED lights
- Sound effects pulled directly from the cartoon

I just finished the base model and have begun working on how the internals will mount the electronics and drive arms. I plan to run everything off of a Raspberry Pi Zero that will drive the LCD, servos, and LEDs directly.

If there's anyone interested in helping teach me how to write the animated screen I'd really appreciate it. I plan to control the servos and LEDs using Python so it would be nice if it could get rolled into that.

Once I get the models finalized and successfully printed, I'll release the STL and source files here for people to modify and print from if they'd like.

Let me know your thoughts and comments!
Last edited by Cole Funstuff on March 23rd, 2020, 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
zeta otaku, pmcbryde, Kingpin and 9 others liked this
By Kingpin
Two ideas come to mind for the screen animation:

1) a video file, like an .avi
2) a flash animation

Sadly I've not had much experience with stuff like this, but it might be worth looking into Aliens Motion Track replica electronics, as it's a pretty similar concept you're looking to put into play.
By Cole Funstuff
zeta otaku wrote:This looks awesome! Are you planning on having the antenna assembly retract into the body of the meter too?
That's the goal! It's getting pretty tight in the body if I do go this route but I think I can cram everything in there.
Kingpin wrote:Two ideas come to mind for the screen animation:

1) a video file, like an .avi
2) a flash animation

Sadly I've not had much experience with stuff like this, but it might be worth looking into Aliens Motion Track replica electronics, as it's a pretty similar concept you're looking to put into play.
I'd like the screen effects to change as knobs and dials are turned on the meter. I've found some tutorials with making simple animated games in Python that might allow me to make it interactive without being too complicated. I'll start looking into it more once I get the mechanical stuff finished.
zeta otaku liked this
By Cole Funstuff
Just wanted to drop in and say the project is still going strong. I'm attempting to figure out the drive system for the antenna which has me waiting on some parts from China. I'm hoping to integrate the mounting on the main body so I still haven't printed any pieces.

Here was a rough/backup idea I had for extending the mast and leaving as much room as possible for electronics:

zeta otaku, Kingpin, ccv66 liked this
By Cole Funstuff
PssdffJay wrote:Even if was a static prop, I'd still be down to print and make one of these!
Let me see if I can export what I currently have to some STLs and have you guys test print if you'd like!
By Cole Funstuff
So I have most of the major stuff finished up for what I think it should have to get printed. Here's the link to the model at OnShape if you'd like to export your own STLs or modify the model:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7d22a ... a0bdb28b75

I haven't had time to get a base printed, so work had to be put on hold (getting married in August). I'll pick this back up after that but wanted to make sure you all had access if you wanted to modify it for yourselves. I'll still plan to post finalized STL files once I get one fully printed.
By slicerd1
This is super great looking. I love that there are so many freely shared 3d printed parts out. My new 3d printer is going hot and heavy on proton gun/wand parts but hopefully by then end of the year I can get into traps and PKE meters.
By Cole Funstuff
Still working on the project but the printing has been going slow (just got married). Here's what I have printed so far:

I'm trying to make sure all the parts fit properly before I move on to the next pieces. I got a bit burnt out on the modeling so I shifted focus started learning Python! I want to make this turns out as accurate as possible so I knew I would need to have a LCD with some animated graphics. I plan to run everything off a Raspberry Pi Zero and various Python scripts.

I just got done with a simple script that resembles a couple graphics I stumbled upon online and was pretty happy with out it came out:

I'm getting a LCD screen and driver on Thursday and hope to have a mock up put together to show everyone what it looks like.

Finally, does anyone have a good sample of the RGB PKE sound effect or know what a good episode to sample it from would be?
Kingpin liked this
By Cole Funstuff
Getting closer with the electronics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XEtFO9NnBw

I also have the animation working on the screen, but need to get everything pulled into one script. Next steps are to design the rest of the wing assembly and play with some LEDs. I'm hoping everything will be able to run off of the Raspberry Pi Zero, but will have to see.

More to come!
Last edited by Cole Funstuff on April 9th, 2018, 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kingpin, Jonobiwan, ccv66 and 1 others liked this
By xoff00
The pygame library for Python is the way to go for the animations. It's how the Raspberry Pi Pip-Boy works. I'm a Python newbie but there are some excellent tutorials for pygame around.
By xoff00
Also, you can easily run everything off a Raspberry Pi, probably even a Pi Zero, which will save you money (the Zero is $5) and lots of space.
By Cole Funstuff
A better video showing the current screen animation and mast extension:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5OBbGxIUb8

I need a few supplies from the hobby store and then I'll be finalizing the wing mechanics. Here's a render of what I'm planning to try using some servos:

Last edited by Cole Funstuff on April 9th, 2018, 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kingpin, Sister, jackdoud and 2 others liked this
By Cole Funstuff
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

rgb1988 wrote:Where did you purchase the LCD screen you are using? It looks amazing! Does it have adjustable contrast and brightness?
I was oiginally planning to use the Adafruit screen shown here: https://www.adafruit.com/product/913

...BUT after doing some digging around (didn't want to pay $45 for a screen) I found that this screen on Amazon is the exact same dimensions as the Adafruit one for less than half the price: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045 ... UTF8&psc=1

It has a small control board to control contrast and brightness, and I set the screen color to what the cartoon looked like using PyGame.

I'm still working on the linkage for the wings as that's the last major design I need to complete before I can start printing the final pieces. I have a pretty good idea of how I want it to work but it's getting tough with the limited space I have left inside. Hopefully more details to come in the next week or so.
jackdoud liked this
By xoff00
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Cole Funstuff wrote:
rgb1988 wrote:Where did you purchase the LCD screen you are using? It looks amazing! Does it have adjustable contrast and brightness?
I was oiginally planning to use the Adafruit screen shown here: https://www.adafruit.com/product/913

...BUT after doing some digging around (didn't want to pay $45 for a screen) I found that this screen on Amazon is the exact same dimensions as the Adafruit one for less than half the price: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045 ... UTF8&psc=1

It has a small control board to control contrast and brightness, and I set the screen color to what the cartoon looked like using PyGame.

I'm still working on the linkage for the wings as that's the last major design I need to complete before I can start printing the final pieces. I have a pretty good idea of how I want it to work but it's getting tough with the limited space I have left inside. Hopefully more details to come in the next week or so.
You won't get nearly as nice graphics out of the composite out from that little screen, and depending on the Raspberry Pi you might not have composite (or may just need to wire it up) but for this project it probably really doesn't matter - I'm looking forward to your results!
xoff00 wrote:You won't get nearly as nice graphics out of the composite out from that little screen, and depending on the Raspberry Pi you might not have composite (or may just need to wire it up) but for this project it probably really doesn't matter - I'm looking forward to your results!
The video I linked above is running on that same screen and it has turned out pretty clear! I'm using a Pi Zero for this project which has a composite output provided, so no worries there.

I'll hopefully have a bit more details on what I plan to do for the graphics coming up as well. I need to get the meter built first though as I keep getting distracted on other projects.
By xoff00
Awesome, looking forward to seeing it! I just finished up my Arduino code for my cyclotron and powercell lights using neopixels.
By Vale_Spengler
Cole, this is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. I've always loved the RGB PKE Meter and I can't wait to see this project completed.
If you need any help identifying all the main variant screens from the cartoon, I think I could recap them with some gif, then you can choose wich ones you want to include in your project.
By Cole Funstuff
Vale_Spengler wrote:Cole, this is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. I've always loved the RGB PKE Meter and I can't wait to see this project completed.
If you need any help identifying all the main variant screens from the cartoon, I think I could recap them with some gif, then you can choose wich ones you want to include in your project.
Honestly, I could use a ton of help finding episodes that have both good shots of the screen for graphics and good clean sound samples for each of the PKE meter states. I've located a couple but a majority of scenes have background noise or something that makes it hard to get a good looping sound effect.

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]