Master Replicas has officially posted on their forum that the Ghostbusters lineup has been cancelled. It is unclear as to why the company has dropped the Proton Pack and Ghost Trap replicas, but it is most likely due to licensing issues with Sony and other high costs that may not be feasible in today's market.

"As a fan, I wish I could reassure everyone that GB is still on for MR. Unfortunately, it is with deep regret that MR has decided to cancel the plans we had with Sony for Ghostbusters. While I cannot get into specifics, I can tell you on a personal level that we cannot afford to give Ghostbusters prop replicas the justice and treatment they deserve and I apologize for any frustration or disappointment this will cause any fans. Rather than hold on to the license and wait for what seemed inevitable, we've decided to make the announcement today. Thank you for your understanding."
By Shredder565
Now I'm beginning to see why folks do not get too excited about MR replica announcements. How many lines does that make as of current that they have announced, but never got around to making?

Ugh.

It's times like this that I REALLY wish I could have the skill to build my own. Sigh...

I'd also love to build my own working R2D2 after seeing one in motion at the convention, but I don't
have the skills, or equipment for either...

Someone needs to make a youtube video showing step by step how to make a pack, trap, etc so folks how may want to dive in themselves know exactly what to expect.
By reevz1977
I'm actually pretty gutted about this announcement. I genuinely understand those here concerned about MR making replica packs but for those without the talent or knowhow as to how to create one this was to be a life long dream! Being a Muppet fan and a Ghostbusters...I don't have a lot of love for MR.
By Gareee
It's NOT that hard. All it really takes is a bit of money and the dedication to actually make it happen.

Many people use almost anything under the sun as an excuse not to get started on their own kit.

I joined the forums and site in mid sept, and at the end of October, had two packs, guns, and uniforms for the wife n myself.

Granted, I worked my ass off as much as possible that month, but a weekend warrior could do it in a few month's time.

Yeah you run into snags along that way.. that;'s the fun in building these.. working around the issues, and coming up with solutions to them.
Zack wrote:Wow. From MRTom, from the post above by reevz.
As a fan, I wish I could reassure everyone that GB is still on for MR. Unfortunately, it is with deep regret that MR has decided to cancel the plans we had with Sony for Ghostbusters. While I cannot get into specifics, I can tell you on a personal level that we cannot afford to give Ghostbusters prop replicas the justice and treatment they deserve and I apologize for any frustration or disappointment this will cause any fans. Rather than hold on to the license and wait for what seemed inevitable, we've decided to make the announcement today. Thank you for your understanding.
(Pictured from left to right: 88MPH Comics, NECA, and Master Replicas)
By Exoray
Shredder565 wrote:Now I'm beginning to see why folks do not get too excited about MR replica announcements. How many lines does that make as of current that they have announced, but never got around to making?
Well I don't have any real numbers, if you dig around I suspect you will see as of late the 'announcements' vs actual releases is probably around 50%... And I'm not talking about casual hints of products, I mean solid public released announcements of new products vs actual release... They have really been struggling to bring product to market now for years, and have been dropping the ball probably as often as they have been making the ball...
By Shredder565
How flipping unproffesional can you get between NECA and Master Replicas?

They build such great, over priced stuff and have the business practices of a 10 year old, apparently.

Someone should dig up documents to see how much the products MR makes actually cost to produce per
item, and see how much we are over charged in buying that one item :).

FYI, from MrTom on another board...

>>>>>

I apologize, but honestly I made this post right after a meeting regarding the move. Here's a play by play:

Wednesday - Thursday 02/11 - 02/12: Received incredible prototype of Ghost Trap, took photos and prepped for posting images on Friday. GB still on, seemed to be moving forward.

Friday 02/13: Received e-mail to remove all GB related content with further explanation 02/17.

Today: Found out we're not doing GB anymore. Received approval to notify community.

Sometimes, especially in these times, decisions are unfortunately made very quickly without much of an explanation. If I could have made an announcement sooner, I would have. Up until last Friday, GB was still green lit and excitement and expectations were high. I know it's disappointing, this is not the direction any of us wanted to go in, but it was/is vital. >>>>
By Zack
I can't remember? I don't think NECA can be blamed can they? They released the cool wave of villains I thought to hopefully stir up interesting while attempting to get the actors likeness for the guys. Which I thought they couldn't at the time.

It did seem weird going into it not knowing if they could do the guys but meh. At least these instances, no preorders were taken :lol:
By Exoray
Shredder565 wrote:How flipping unproffesional can you get between NECA and Master Replicas?
Well there is a line between being professional and good business... Many times the line is shared, but sometimes they have to split off... Sometimes the smart business move might not appear professional to the disappointed fans, but in reality is was the professional business move...

Honestly, I know I have come across pretty harsh on this whole topic since it was announced... Only because I have seen it played out year after year, MR has released some of the best commercial replicas ever to hit the market, and have helped bring this hobby more mainstream in many cases, but on the flip side they have also disappointed and let down many while they traveled that road...
I'd also love to build my own working R2D2 after seeing one in motion at the convention, but I don't
have the skills, or equipment for either...
well at least this is hope for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpVQ_BXZOHw
By Exoray
Shredder565 wrote:I'd also love to build my own working R2D2 after seeing one in motion at the convention, but I don't have the skills, or equipment for either...
Have you tried? Honestly most people give up before they even start...

If you want to build an R2 of that level you are looking at a $10,000 - $15,000 investment and IMO if you going down that road and spending that much money then purchase the basic equipment needed and learn how to use it... Almost all community colleges have evening and/or weekend classes in basic shop and tool skills, take some if you have no clue... Purchase tools slowly, a $160 battery operated Ryobi tool set will get you a saws all, a drill, a circular saw and flashlight... That is a big step in basic needs, get a $20 jig saw and you can start knocking out projects like a GB pack with just a few more hand tools...

And even when you have the skills and tools it doesn't always come that easy, a fully functional aluminum R2 is on my to-do list as well, and even though I have all the channels lined up to get it done, it's a boat load of work and money...
By Dan AKA
Not suprised, as I called it in another post, and even talked about it when this stuff was brought up at first.

I don't see what the big deal is as MR has dropped the ball on most of thier prop replicas in the past few years. It's a company on the verge of closure, who cares?

Now let's get back to building props...
Part of me wishes I could say that I am disappointed in this in this, but i'm not.
A bit off topic but I was wondering do Mattel produce this sort of thing or do they just do figures. I mean if the new GB figures prove successful they might come out with electronic GB equipment toys. I'd love a little battery operated Ghost Trap or PKE meter with TRY ME on the box!
I will agree that it probably wasn't very cost-effective. There are a lot of third party parts that you would have to get extended-use licenses to manufacture, such as Clippard, Nycoil, Legris, etc. Sony may have been on-board from the beginning, but then MR may have realized it would be a contractual nightmare to get the other companies to give a go-ahead.

I'm sure the employees at MR are just as bummed about having their line killed as everyone else might be. Having worked in consumer products before there is nothing more of a buzz kill than having your ideas shot down before they even get out of the gate.

I am glad they aren't going forward with the line. It's something you should have to work for; it makes it that much more rewarding. I like having something I built from scratch with my own two bloody hands. I even feel that way about fiberglass shells sometimes.

DL2
I must say that, not being a prop maker myself…not have any of the skills, income or time necessary…I am partially disappointed in this announcement. I was hoping to grab one of each as soon as they came on the market.
JamesCGamora wrote:I must say that, not being a prop maker myself…not have any of the skills, income or time necessary…I am partially disappointed in this announcement. I was hoping to grab one of each as soon as they came on the market.

They were going to cost well over $1000 anyways. As you said yourself, you didnt have any income.

So this is really no lose for you. :whatever:
Well at least we are still getting figures.......and Blue Ray....and.....a whole of other neato stuff...right.....

AHHHHH.....lets get an angry mob "rable rable rable!'
I got my pitch fork!!!!

oh well tho thats sony for you :angryvigo:
corwin1720 wrote:Well at least we are still getting figures.......and Blue Ray....and.....a whole of other neato stuff...right.....

AHHHHH.....lets get an angry mob "rable rable rable!'
I got my pitch fork!!!!

oh well tho thats sony for you :angryvigo:
*grabs 2x4 with nail in it*

YOU NO TAKE CANDLE!...wait....wrong game here...

I haven't done the new update to the Spirits Unlea[…]

I ended up grabbing one of the 84 wands just t[…]

Matty PKE Question...URGENT

Depending on the price, it might be worth snatchin[…]

I have a full sized spirit pack, and I have the gh[…]