Shredder565 wrote:Why are there Christmas lights just randomly running along the roof?
Because the dude lives there. If you had an urban roof to chill on, you'd decorate too, wouldn't you?

Shredder565 wrote:are they not worried about pigeons or other animals getting through open windows or doors?
Not one tiny bit. Apparently water leakage is a concern, but only large enough to warrant strategic positioning of empty coolers and pans.
I don't know why we would we need a receipt. It's not like we planned to write this off as a $30 donation to the NRHP

I paid cash because I wanted to see the place. As far as I'm concerned, I paid a guy for a tour of his cool house, kinda like if I toured Graceland
Troy wrote:I was mainly joking. As long as you guys aren't under the assumption that the money you paid is going toward repairs...
ahh ok, my sarcasm sensor has been off lately.

oh and it is absolutely not going towards repairs. that place needs a million+ as far renovations go. im sure our "donations" went toward Daniel's "living expenses" :P
This is just pure awesomeness!!! You guys ROCK!!
This is cool.

It has always bummed me that the interior of the firehouse is a different building than the exterior. It would just be awesome if the building in the movie existed somewhere. Damn movie magic! At least it does exist in two places, instead of being a complete CG fabrication.

Speaking of CG, at least I can run around in the video game firehouse... which as far as I'm concerned is canon in regard to how the LA layout is supposed to fit into the NY building. Seems pretty accurate just based on what the cameras allow us to see in the movie.
Daniel did offer to give us receipts but we declined. He said that the money would go towards an iPhone 4 for the corporation's webcast. He did say he's trying to raise $2 million so the city would chip in the other $2 million to retrofit the building to get it up to code. While I (and those of us that went) salute his efforts, we all know it's almost a pipe dream...sadly.
Neat!

That video's just confirmed a number of things:

1) The location of a Bathroom seen in The Killing Mind (it's the one missing the mirror from the wall).
2) The configuration of the elevator... I think this is the only one I've seen that has doors on two sides of the car.
3) A closet I wasn't previously aware of.

I'm assuming that small door in the room that looked like Daniel's office (dominated by a huge, wooden, built-in cabinet) was unopenable? Probably another closet I bet.

Great stuff thus far. :)
kevinj319 wrote:This is cool.

It has always bummed me that the interior of the firehouse is a different building than the exterior. It would just be awesome if the building in the movie existed somewhere. Damn movie magic! At least it does exist in two places, instead of being a complete CG fabrication.

Speaking of CG, at least I can run around in the video game firehouse... which as far as I'm concerned is canon in regard to how the LA layout is supposed to fit into the NY building. Seems pretty accurate just based on what the cameras allow us to see in the movie.
The video game firehouse is interesting as a solution to mixing the two real world firehouses. It seems to be a bit too wide and they also elected to not include any third floor.

If you could have a model of the firehouse would you go for a video game firehouse representation or more like the LA 23 firehouse arrangement as seen in the movies (smaller sleeping area and crew quarters, showers to the back, etc)?
Kingpin wrote:Neat!

That video's just confirmed a number of things:

1) The location of a Bathroom seen in The Killing Mind (it's the one missing the mirror from the wall).
2) The configuration of the elevator... I think this is the only one I've seen that has doors on two sides of the car.
3) A closet I wasn't previously aware of.

I'm assuming that small door in the room that looked like Daniel's office (dominated by a huge, wooden, built-in cabinet) was unopenable? Probably another closet I bet.

Great stuff thus far. :)
Yes it was just a very small closet. When I realized that I hadn't filmed it I had someone (I think it was borzou) take some pics.
Anyways here's part 5

Vincenzo330 wrote:Yes it was just a very small closet. When I realized that I hadn't filmed it I had someone (I think it was borzou) take some pics.
Thanks, and thanks for the shout-outs and the show of the map I've made... I've now been included by proxy, sorta. There in spirit. :)

Did I spy some sort of manhole in the hose tower? I'd almost assumed the one they showed in Big Trouble in Little China was a separate set... but I suppose it makes sense in a way.
DOES THIS NOUN STILL VERB?

My turn.

I've been ready to propose to Shauna for a good year now. At least, ya know, mentally. I started a saving program for the ring and began my "I'm buying a diamond even though I have no idea what I am doing" research process last fall. Originally I had wanted to do the deed on top of a mountain, or in a forest valley somewhere near Glenwood Springs or Frisco, though those ideas phased out when I took into account how little Shauna enjoys bouncing around in the Jeep for hours on end.

I racked my brain for extravagant possibilities while my folks and her folks just wanted me to take her down to Clement Park or a 7-11 and just get it over with. I figured she deserved more than that. San Francisco was always on my mind. She went to school there and we both really love the city. Getting us out there was the trick, though. She has very little time off due to her addiction to conventions. Any vacation is spent trotting around local hotels in wigs, scooping up dvds and figurines and (sigh) wall scrolls.

In the final months of 2009, she expressed an interest in going to Anime Expo. A few weeks later she solidified those plans. I knew then exactly what had to be done. A beach-at-sunset proposal was now within my grasp. Keeping a surprise was going to be the tricky part.

Between unanticipated medical bills, home repairs, and personal equipment failures, I got my ass kicked financially for most of Spring. A tax refund and a friend repaying a year-old debt is what gave me the final ability to afford the ring, which was ordered from a good friend of her mothers who happened to be a jeweler in Indiana. Shaunas mom helped me get the right setting, and the right size. Keeping everything but the fact that I was shopping for a ring a secret from her mother was arguably the hardest part of the entire endeavor.

Originally the plan was to for Shauna and her friends fly to LA on June 30. Alyssa was going to be my "inside man," and would get Shauna to be in the right place at the right time for me to pick her up. Since Alyssa couldn't exactly afford the plane ticket, she would ride with us in the Ecto on July 1, acting under a lie that she was flying out for just two days of the con due to blackout dates. We would drop Alyssa off near the hotel and she would tell Shauna she took a shuttle. We would then go about our business in LA, burning time and seeing friends while they enjoyed the con. Around 5 or 6pm, Alyssa would tell Shauna that they were going to get sushi. Alyssa would arrange for Shauna to be in normal -perhaps classy- attire at the required time. This was the biggest hurdle, as Shauna LOVES cosplay, and would likely spend 90% of her time there in crazy wigs and make-up. Around the same time I would leave my comrades with the capable So-Cal guys and set off to pick up Shauna.

Once I had Shauna, we'd head to Point Dume, north of Malibu. There the beach faces fairly west, instead of south or southwest like much of the coastline near LA. This would, hopefully, mean that the sun would set on the water, which is our favorite thing in the whole world.

Two weeks before P-Day, Alyssa officially decided she was not going to AX because of a kidney stone. I had to pull the rest of Shaunas friends into the plan, which I was hesitant to do because of lack of familiarity and trust with most of them. Everything was explained and they were totally in on it.

The plan was solid.

Though I did almost lose my mind making sure I had enough money for pre-road trip maintenance on the Ecto, gas money, emergency-oh-god-we're-stuck-in-Nevada funds, everything fell into place at the last minute.

----------------------------

Borzou arrived a few hours after I dropped Shauna and her friends at the airport. I spent the afternoon getting the rear differential fluid changed out, rotating tires, and a half dozen other small services. I showed Borzou around Denver that night after making a few additions to the rack and doing last minute touchups. Eating reindeer and boar hot dogs at a spontaneous modern art fest in LoDo was incredible. We encountered about 2,000 people riding through downtown on bicycles, taking up the entire street. After managing to maneuver into the crowd, we received roaring cheers as we played Queen and Pink Floyd bike songs. For some reason, half the dudes in the crowd were wearing dresses (perhaps free stuff at the art museum if you crossed?), and we had a little fun with "Dude Looks Like a Lady" pumped out the roof speakers.

We piled in the car and were on the road at 6am the next morning. Zero traffic and perfect weather had us through the mountains, Glenwood Canyon, the Western Slope, and into Grand Junction just in time for breakfast biscuits at Chick-Fil-A.
The greenery of the Rockies was absolutely peaked, and it just isn't prettier than first thing in the morning.

We'd passed Richie's Gorge, where Borz nearly killed himself scaling rocks for ten minutes, and made it to Beaver by mid-afternoon. Being about two hours ahead of schedule, we decided to explore the desert a bit. North of Las Vegas we found planes flying in formation over enormous clouds of smoke. Being Nevada, there was possibility of it being a bombing range, though I was adamant that no range would be so close to a highway. Upon investigation, we found a huge brush fire, the planes were dropping retardant on it. Pretty epic.

We also found this great little disused dairy building to shoot.

We watched for a bit and were on our way. Cruised the Strip in Vegas for a half hour, showing Borz the sights. He hustled into the Hard Rock to grab a shot glass, and I washed bugs off the car before the desert heat baked them on permanently.

Las Vegas has the worst photoshop panoramas.

We arrived in Burbank shortly after midnight, definitely a good thing. The next morning we were up and downtown by 10:30, arriving fashionably late so as to make the type of entrance that the Ecto always requires; flying in, lights and siren blazing. This was made a little more difficult by the fact that I took a wrong turn and blasted down an "authorized vehicles only" street directly in front of a police station. BUTTHOLES CLENCHED.

As everyone else has said, we waited out front for a good half hour/forty minutes, weathering crack deals and enormous transvestites. The Toy District is truly a place where an ICP fan reservation could thrive, I tell ya whut.

It wasn't until Borz squeezed through the fence to hammer on the door, and after blasting the siren for a bit that we managed to get Daniel to come on out.

Backing in. The consensus was that this was the first time the Firehouse had seen an Ecto roll into the bay since 1989!

Borz suiting up.

Vinny on the stairs, suggesting that we spend the night to, you know, try it out.

Containment unit basement.

Behind the containment unit wall, a room.

Behind the room, a tunnel.

Filled with... stuff.

The door at the end of the tunnel, on the other side was the bottom of the elevator shaft.

Welp, I gots me a new desktop wallpaper!

This was the part where CCC couldn't wait for us to finish taking pictures of the door with Logan's camera, and instead chose to elbow between us to shoot with his POS handycam. Literally shoving us up against the walls. BEST BEHAVIOR.

Borz enjoying the firepole.
This pole was 10, maybe 12 feet in length. A quick ride, but it still gave me the willies before I went down. I cannot even imagine what going down the 20 foot poles in the main bay must have been like. Shit.

Scary door straight from Silent Hill.

Elevator room on the roof.

I thought everyone was talking about Borzou a little later, but they were just saying "no glass"

Phil!

I liked this shot.

Also this.

HDR...

We then flipped the car around to take pictures with it facing inward. I pulled close to a few lockers to hopefully get as much "iconicness" into a single shot as possible. The Firehouse is SO HUGE that it's difficult to capture the entirety of it in one spot.

I REALLY like this.

Close-up of tile

A little more psychadelic.

Group shot, kinda blurry.

This one is better. I even managed to get what-his-chen out of it.

Of course we had to have a picture with everyone pointing.

Go Go So-Cal

f****g laser-containment grids, how do they work?

After that we packed up our things, said good-bye to those who were departing for the day, and headed to the Biltmore for a few shots. The management was a little more wary of us this time around, but I think we'd all explored it before, and just needed the required "this thing is in a place it isn't normally, better take advantage" picture.

I'll post more in a bit. GIANT torrent of ALL photos will be available soon!
I took a lot of detail photos that I will release once I am able to get the pictures off my camera.
Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]