I'm sold. Will be firing up the MyUS account for two of these in October :D

Not quite sure why the removable cartridge is the deal-breaker for so many people; it's nice, but also totally unneccessary, especially given that these will be hung from belts etc and basically be fulfilling the role of the stunt traps. Gotta wonder how strong that cartridge connection is going to be...

The shaking trap feature is a lovely touch :)
The account was set up for the PKEs, and TBH I think I'd go that route again even if there wasn't a restriction. Remember I got hit with ZERO customs fee on mine, I don't know if that's because it was a private courier (DHL) or because it wasn't coming straight from the manufacturer, but either way I'd like to do it that way again.
joeghostbuster wrote:I thought originally the listed price was $120, but for $135 you cant go wrong either. I showed my 7 year old nephew the video and I told him I was buying one, but I couldnt buy him one and he started freaking out, spoiled kids these days - we never had this cool stuff when we were 7, neither should he, he's got his wii and nintendo dsi and all that other crap. I told him he could have my trap and pke meter when he's a teenager lol
I um...that is quite clever. I'll have to keep that in mind. I think my response probably would of been something like: "Well, tell YOUR parents to buy it, I'm just your uncle."
Having built my own I tried...oh god did I try...to resist any temptation in buying this thing. After the full-spec video? I can't fight it. it's everything I've always wanted. And more. It's literally the perfect toy, and an excellent replica for the money, too. I've been geeking out so hard for the last 2 days over this thing. This is going to warrant my actually taking a day off work for the sale day. It's already been decided. I can't risk missing this thing.
Not a bad replica, considering the action, lights, and sound. Adding a V-hook might be difficult, seeing as the battery compartment is right between the wheels. The plastic ribbon cable on the pedal doesn't look like it will fit over the handle, though. Depending on the price, I will probably end up getting one of these...
Where's the pre-order button?? I'm definitely jumping on this once it's out - not like the last time with the damn PKEs. I'm one of the few who over-paid for my PKE meter on eBay. Not this time, Matty, not THIS time!!!!! MUHAHAHAHA!!
Very surprised they did the Trap before the Goggles but if you think abut it reasonably the trap made more sense to make than the Ecto Goggles.

I want to see a vid of the rolling Ghost function, and I loved the electric arc happening when the doors were closed That put it over the top.....:)
Iggy wrote:
joeghostbuster wrote:I thought originally the listed price was $120, but for $135 you cant go wrong either. I showed my 7 year old nephew the video and I told him I was buying one, but I couldnt buy him one and he started freaking out, spoiled kids these days - we never had this cool stuff when we were 7, neither should he, he's got his wii and nintendo dsi and all that other crap. I told him he could have my trap and pke meter when he's a teenager lol
I um...that is quite clever. I'll have to keep that in mind. I think my response probably would of been something like: "Well, tell YOUR parents to buy it, I'm just your uncle."
because Im the one that got him into ghostbusters, and im the one thats been buying the figures (and the pke meter) for him
at least it looks light.... a little too plasticy for my taste also because the glare just gives that away so much I dont know if I will be getting one. They are amazing ... no question Mattel has gone out of their way to make something that will sell out very fast no matter what ..simply amazing lights and sound effects.. I prefer my heavy wood trap just because its fallen a bunch of times and i know it can fall a lot more and take the damage no problem. I would be afraid to wear this trap as part of my costume unless I was sure the trap would not slide out or the installation of the V hook did not look sturdy
FeinDTacticS wrote:at least it looks light.... a little too plasticy for my taste also because the glare just gives that away so much I dont know if I will be getting one. They are amazing ... no question Mattel has gone out of their way to make something that will sell out very fast no matter what ..simply amazing lights and sound effects.. I prefer my heavy wood trap just because its fallen a bunch of times and i know it can fall a lot more and take the damage no problem. I would be afraid to wear this trap as part of my costume unless I was sure the trap would not slide out or the installation of the V hook did not look sturdy
It's definitely looking a bit brittle compared to wood or mdf. It'll likely make a good desk ornament or movie prop for me.
This trap is outstanding. They really went above and beyond. Way to research Matty. As far as the plastic look to the trap, that really shouldn't be too hard to fix if you were so inclined. All you really have to do is hit the glossy areas with some light grade sand paper and knock the sheen out. You could even mask everything and hit it with some flat black paint. The plates on the side could be coated with say aluminum foil as well. Then of course you could weather the whole thing and really make it look cool. Who's going to be the first brave soul to attempt this?
aburns84 wrote:It seems like there are two prices floating around on this baby. $120 and $135. In the video, the girl mentioned $135. Is that the $120 and like $15 for the shipping? Or is it $135 plus shipping?
They can't just factor in shipping like that.

We always hear multiple prices for these items from Mattel.

They will annouce an official price when it is listed on MattyCollector.com soon.
I'm a little bit less that excited for a few reasons.

While a PKE is great (given how stupidly expensive it is to build one), a trap and future collectibles could really cheapen the hobby. I'm going to be going into a show with my hand build props, and someone will walk up next to me with a well made toy. A trap is not a terribly hard prop to build, and I see a lot of future busters just buying these out of laziness.

I'm concerned with the conversion process to make the trap wearable. That door looks like it would just snap off under the weight of the trap, and one might have to rebuild the power supply in order to strengthen the area. I believe it also takes 6 AA batteries, which just adds to the weight.

Don't get me wrong. This is very well made. It has a lot of bells and whistles. I just don't want to see it replacing our hobby.

That said, I am considering buying one as an Autograph piece (I don't like the idea of getting my pack, etc autographed, as I constantly do work on my props). But it would be a display piece, not a costume piece.
ScooterinAB wrote:Don't get me wrong. This is very well made. It has a lot of bells and whistles. I just don't want to see it replacing our hobby.
The PKE meter didn't stop Ghostguy from having sales for his PKE meter electronics.

The thing to remember is that these aren't being made to stock shelves with. They're a 1 time thing, a mass order. Once we all place the orders to get one and they sell out... that's it! There are no more of them.

So the people who want to build their own traps, and the people who want to make stuff to sell, really need not worry. There will be a continued market for lights and electronics, and there will always be people building their own.
Meph wrote:The PKE meter didn't stop Ghostguy from having sales for his PKE meter electronics.

The thing to remember is that these aren't being made to stock shelves with. They're a 1 time thing, a mass order. Once we all place the orders to get one and they sell out... that's it! There are no more of them.

So the people who want to build their own traps, and the people who want to make stuff to sell, really need not worry. There will be a continued market for lights and electronics, and there will always be people building their own.

The cardinal difference between Mattel's PKE and trap, from the prop building/costuming audience perspective, is that PKEs were a little harder to come by. Traps are also a little tougher to mass produce due to the materials necessary to create them.

PKEs were going for $300-400 prior to the Mattel $70 model, and that cost was driven up due to primarily to electronics, density of wiring, and the finer molding. Fan-made PKEs were molded from resin and various plastics, just like Mattel's. However, fan-built traps usually went for $50-200 and included aluminum and other various non-plastics. Here we seem to have a ~$130 trap with incredible functions built out of less-than realistic materials, whereas the PKE was less of a leap with its plastics.

It's an interesting batch of differences that seem to be effecting just what we all want and will use the trap for, but I'm sure they'll sell just as well.
tito wrote:I will definitely be grabbing one of these. I live in an apartment and have no space to work on props. Guess that makes me "lazy" in some eyes, Oh well.
Eh, what can you do. Don't fret- nobody is going to pick you apart here for buying one of these. I can't wait to get my hands on one.
ScooterinAB wrote:While a PKE is great (given how stupidly expensive it is to build one), a trap and future collectibles could really cheapen the hobby. I'm going to be going into a show with my hand build props, and someone will walk up next to me with a well made toy. A trap is not a terribly hard prop to build, and I see a lot of future busters just buying these out of laziness.
Just like with hd tv's and 3d tv's (i know not hand made) you pay a premium to get it first. You probably made your prop years ago before we had any idea that Matty was going to come out with the props. Yeah, MR teased at the idea, but that fell through. Even if they produced a prop, just look at the accuracy. There would have been a few flaws with a part or scale. I would not feel bad about these prop/toys coming out. Your prop is probably more accurate. You put your heart and soul into your props and they will always be special to you. Granted, your happy with how your prop came out. You just have to remember that the "real" fans will be able to tell a difference. We can tell the the difference between a guntah pke shell with hyperdyne/ghostguy's electronics vs the matty pke. We will be able to tell the difference between an aj, crix, mmm, and nick's traps vs the matty trap. The good thing about these matty props is that the electronics are awesome, mostly look like the real deal, and they are disposable so you can wear it on your costume. I know we do not have a v hook for the matty trap "yet" but we will find a way. I could see us riveting something on or possibly a whole re-cast of the battery lid that includes a v-hook or mount for a metal v-hook. When there is a will, there is a way. In general I am happy with it. I just hope they tweak some of the stickers, add a v-hook interchangable option, fix the resister, and adjust one of the knobs so it is not as high. I know there are some other flaws, but the v-hook and the resister bug me the most. I'll still keep my trap, but this is a great thing. We want to encourage Matty so we can possibly get some ecto goggles or possibly a slime blower/proton pack way down the road.
ScooterinAB wrote:a trap and future collectibles could really cheapen the hobby.
Not even close. I look at it this way: People buy kits that COULD look great (example: mburkit) and make them look like complete ass (example: Shredder565). Scratch builders and people with attention to detail will always 'rule' the GB prop-making world, so to speak. A Mattel replica won't even crack the surface of that. It's a collector's item, not a prop replacement.

What this probably WILL do, howeover, is drive down the prices of trap-making materials for a very short time. Because the fact of the matter is that although we've seen some great kits, we've never seen electronics like the kind Mattel is offering for such a cheap price (with everything combined)

I'm stoked for this thing.
Greetings from Montana

Hey and welcome

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

No issue with Spongeface keepalive and TalentCel[…]

After 2 years of this failed Walmart trap conversi[…]