Toy Fair 2013 is underway and Mattel has new information on the Ecto Goggles prop replica. The Ecto Goggles will go on sale on June 15, 2013 July 15, 2013 for $110 "day of price". (We're not sure what 'day of price' means, perhaps the price will be going up at a later date... or as we have seen from Mattel.. will be dropping afterwards?).

The price is dead on to our estimates we gave last year at SDCC 2012, and it looks like the paint color has improved since then. The Goggles interact with the Mattel PKE Meter, which causes Slimer to appear animated on the display. Fans that have gotten to demo the unit say that feature is is very cool.

For $110, the price is pretty good compared to a $500-$1000 for the real Night Vision Goggles. Despite the inaccuracies, these would make a very good base to make your own pair!

More photos available from ToyArk.com.
Sutton621, Andrew Phung liked this
joeghostbuster wrote:still undecided. without trying them for yourself, it's hard to actually know what youre getting as far as the 'ghost' features go.
I'm sure someone somewhere will get a demo eventually.
For starters there was the phony "White screens" that they implemented to drum up a false demand, we dealt with that for months because we were all just so happy to finally see GB products being produced. Their "customer service" is a call center in Malaysia reading from a script, they are unable to answer any questions, they're unable to resolve any issues that arise. They consistently ship items to the wrong addresses, overcharge for shipping, cancel items from orders without notifying you, send the wrong items, charge for items you haven't ordered and the list goes on.

I can honestly say that I have never had a single experience with that "company" that I can say anything positive about.

I'm through overpaying for poorly made items assembled in sweatshops by children.
Kingpin liked this
$110?!?!?!?!?

Absolutely not buying this. I really, really dislike the quality of Matty products, and $110 for this is ridiculous. It'd be one thing if there was some quality in their products, but pick up the PKE, and it feels like about $4's worth of plastic went into it. It's sad that Matty was the company to realize that exploiting nerd brands can be done on the cheap for tremendous profit - I'd gladly have paid quite a lot of money for a ghost trap that felt like what I saw on screen, had some durability and heft to it, but this cheapo plastic stuff is really disappointing. And $110 for those goggles is absolutely insane.

And don't get me started on the nature of forced collectibility by limited runs...
I was planning on picking up a pair of these when they went on sale but I wasn't aware of the backlash against the company from the community. I do own both the trap and PKE they've already released and I think they're the right props for me. I don't have the finances to splurge for the incredible and accurate replicas that can be found on this site so the MattyCollector stuff is both affordable and sufficient enough for me. Someday I do plan on having the real things but until then, I can live with these.

And I do know the can of worms that goes with saying I can't afford the good stuff yet still want to be in uniform but eh, just my two cents. I'll wait to make a judgement about the MattyCollector goggles closer to their sale date.
Ecto-Fire liked this
Cory Levy wrote:I was planning on picking up a pair of these when they went on sale but I wasn't aware of the backlash against the company from the community. I do own both the trap and PKE they've already released and I think they're the right props for me. I don't have the finances to splurge for the incredible and accurate replicas that can be found on this site so the MattyCollector stuff is both affordable and sufficient enough for me. Someday I do plan on having the real things but until then, I can live with these.

And I do know the can of worms that goes with saying I can't afford the good stuff yet still want to be in uniform but eh, just my two cents. I'll wait to make a judgement about the MattyCollector goggles closer to their sale date.
Cory, don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against bargain props - but only if they're available at a bargain price. I'm sorry, but $110 for that is NOT appropriate.
Vincenzo330 wrote:For starters there was the phony "White screens" that they implemented to drum up a false demand, we dealt with that for months because we were all just so happy to finally see GB products being produced. Their "customer service" is a call center in Malaysia reading from a script, they are unable to answer any questions, they're unable to resolve any issues that arise. They consistently ship items to the wrong addresses, overcharge for shipping, cancel items from orders without notifying you, send the wrong items, charge for items you haven't ordered and the list goes on.

I can honestly say that I have never had a single experience with that "company" that I can say anything positive about.

I'm through overpaying for poorly made items assembled in sweatshops by children.
How many addresses do you have?!
bizdog wrote:Cory, don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against bargain props - but only if they're available at a bargain price. I'm sorry, but $110 for that is NOT appropriate.
I dunno, I'd like to think the "slimer feature" might be kinda cool and perhaps that's why it's pricey.
bizdog wrote: Cory, don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against bargain props - but only if they're available at a bargain price. I'm sorry, but $110 for that is NOT appropriate.
When you really think about it, compared to a pair of Ecto Goggles that are made with high quality ingredients that are going to cost around $250-300 and the resale of the MattyCollector pairs will be around $150-200, $110 isn't really that bad for a pair of licensed, pretty accurate goggles. It's expensive for the components that go into it, of course, but that's just the market.

Outside of making your own accurate goggles, which may end up costing around the same, the goggles you'll be able to find for a similar price tag are going to be pretty inaccurate.

It sucks that they're so expensive but that's just the way it is right now.
GAVAL liked this
Mike_D wrote:I dunno, I'd like to think the "slimer feature" might be kinda cool and perhaps that's why it's pricey.
If these things didn't have any electronics, they would probably sell for $30.

Oops. Sorry I meant. Limited Time Only MattyCollector Special Edition Collector Series: $50.
No Sir, I STILL don't like them.

Hate the length of the lenses, the side strap holders, and the price tag.
AJ is right, without the gadgety bit they'd be worth sod all.

PKE is mint, I love mine.
Missed out on the traps, and kick myself everytime I see one up close, but am not prepared to be scalped on Evilbay.

My wallet is firmly closed to these goggles unless they radically miraclely change before release day.

ImageImage

No thank you.
AJ Quick wrote:
For $110, the price is pretty good compared to a $500-$1000 for the real Night Vision Goggles. Despite the inaccuracies, these would make a very good base to make your own pair!

QFT.

I'll be getting a pair. Modding the trap was fun and the goggles will be easy to tweak to look less like a toy and to get it to where I'm content with em.
Other than the fact you can't wear glasses with them, I agree that they would be pretty easy to mod to make more accurate, but if you are already spending that much money, plus more money, time and skill to mod them, why not just scratch built a set of frames, it would be cheaper and more accurate (or at least just as accurate). I really wanted them, I could have lived with modding the frames, and maybe being able to mod it so I could wear glasses, if possible, but that unknown and that high price really has me thinking on it. Plus I liked the idea of having the full matty set of props, but if I mod the goggles then they really aren't the matty ones any more. That and I like many others are not happy with matty as of late, so I'm very much on the fence. :/
This is really too bad. I built a pair of goggles a couple years ago with mostly resin parts. They aren't perfect, but I think they came out pretty okay. Regardless, I thought there was no way I was going to pass on Matty goggles once they made them. They knocked it (nearly) out of the park with the PKE, so I figured there was no way they could not do the goggles perfectly, as simple as they are. There's just too much shit wrong with these for me to give them my money. Not only is the short lens too short, the tall lens is too tall, which makes them look even more unfortunate. I know people brought the inaccuracies to their attention months ago, yet they've addressed none of anyone's concerns. This is an easy pass for me.
I totally agree with everyone on the innacuracies. It seems they fixed some parts, but didn't fix others. As previously said, the lenses are WAY off in terms of length. Can these still be working on these? Can these really be the final version? I understand that not everything was 100% accurate on the PKE and trap, but the lense length on these is a pretty glaring/obvious problem. Here's hoping they make some more adjustments to it. (but I don't hold my breath)
I don't think Matty cares about feedback anymore. They had actual movie-used hoverboards to work from, and we all know the disaster that ensued, both in the product and the "customer service." Matty knows that there are enough people that could care less about price, accuracy, and customer service that they'll sell enough of the production run to pay their bills, which are most likely not half as high as they claim, given their estimates about lenticular material and the like.

Oh, another thing - this was made mostly out of sc[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

Is anybody making Slime Blowers that would fit the[…]

Beautiful!! I'm getting this even if finances don[…]

Super helpful thanks. I will read properly when […]