Came today. I see the complaints, but they look good on my shelf which is where they'll mostly be. One funny thing I noticed, though, is when the animations are playing, you can see a light glowing through the plastic on the outside.
One interesting thing I noticed... not sure if this has been brought up before.

You don't need the "echo-locator" plugged into the goggles for the Library Ghost and Proton Stream to work.

You do need to switch the piece on the goggles, but if you have the PKE Meter nearby and use it, it doesn't have to have the echo-locator in it. It will work anyway.
joeghostbuster liked this
I'm in the UK so it'll be quite a while till mine arrive, but from what I've read it seems like the "echo locator" is basically to boost the goggles' sensitivity to the PKE meter noise. You may not need it in a quiet home, maybe it's in case you are using it at a noisy convention or party.
Just like whats been happening to others here, the cornerstone logistics page shows no movement for my order neither, so I took the long number that appears above the CL number (the same tracking # in Mattys shipping email), and typed it in the USPS tracking page. I placed the order & got confirmation within 15 mins of the gogles comming on sale, and it says that TODAY it " Departed the partner shipping facility".... Hope I get them by Halloween...
portugueseGB liked this
Wombatneil: I'm glad you received your Ecto-Goggles. I hear you about the neighborhood. I grew up in the suburbs (close to Newark, NJ) since I was born. Before that my parents lived in the neighborhood for years. I watched it change as I grew up. As an adult when we still lived there, had very few neighbors we could call friends, had two bars in the neighborhood within 2 blocks of the old apt, you really never knew who would be out at all hours. There was no guarantee in later years your mail, especially packages wouldn't be stolen. Some of us lived there for decades, we'd help with important mail and packages when we were able to.

It had been a long time coming, after a series of events we bought a house in a subdivision by the shore (not right along it) in 2009.

vbvabuster: I noticed that with that one side "button" too. Mine was loose too, I adjusted it how I could.

Doctor Venkman: I noticed that too, by the time i saw the library ghost I was tired and thought I was seeing things! I had the PKE Meter near by, by then it had turned itself off. Yeah, the piece or knob as I called it on the goggles was probably still "plugged" in.

elsoldao7: I wish i had tried that. It's a better tracking update then most of had.

All: If you like un-boxing pictures and quick not the best quality videos :lol: I updated Ectocontainment today.

http://ectocontainment.com/mattyectogogsphotos.htm
So I think I've figured it out.

There is a small microphone underneath the piece that you screw in or out to use with the PKE Meter.

The "knob" that is only supposed to show Slimer acts like a cap, and the microphone can't pick up the sound of the PKE Meter.

The "screw" is open and acts as a sort of earphone to help amplify the sound for the microphone.

I actually got the Library Ghost and Proton Stream animations to work even with the "knob" in place, by holding the PKE Meter right up next to the Goggles.

So my thinking is... if anyone REALLY wanted to, you could probably just drill a small hole in the "knob" and you'd never even have to use the screw.

This seems to be the reasoning behind the "echo-locator" as well. I think it acts as a small amplifier to send the sound towards the Goggles. I'm not positive on this though.

But yea, there you have it... its a microphone, and you don't need the echo-locator, and if you really want to, you don't even have to use the screw.
Someone's done a decent high-definition review of the goggles, and they've put the camera up to the lense to try and show the animations.

The funny thing is that in these blurry videos the ghosts and animations look OK. Question will be whether they'll look crappy when seen in better quality in front of your own eyes.

I seem to remember someone previously saying that there were no sound effects, clearly not the case!

You know what would be quite fun? If you are at some party or convention, "I'll prove to you there really are ghosts here!" And twist the knob as you hand the goggles to them. Obviously not going to fool someone who isn't an imbecile or small child but should get a chuckle.

I don't understand the people that say they have bought it to add to their collection but they wouldn't wear it at a convention or party. Then again I've never been a true "collector" that likes to just have things.

I collect expensive limited edition "Dr Grordbort" Weta rayguns that are made of metal and glass, and obviously I wouldn't run around a convention playing with those, but they look awesome, I admire them in my home and I show them off to friends and visitors, and I like to pick them up and heft them and I let others do so as well. While my Ghostbusters stuff I like to actually wear and have fun with. But if someone doesn't think the goggles look good enough to wear, or show off, or to admire as an object in your home... then why would you buy it? Just to... "have" it? Even though you've already built a more faithful prop yourself?

I'll be wearing my Matty goggles; the common layperson won't even know what ghostbusters goggles are supposed to look like, while general sci-fi/supernatural fans and film buffs and other people that enjoyed the movie in the past will recognise them as looking like what they saw in the movie, either decades ago or a few years ago if they saw it on TV, or maybe the ghostbusters videogame. Only hardcore fans like ourselves would notice the discrepancies. Sure, they are BIG discrepencies, but you need to have seen the film repeatedly or referred to photographs to be aware of them. They aren't good "prop replica", but they are better than the sort that go for $50 on ebay. If you want to buy a really good prop replica (rather than build it yourself) you are talking more like $200. If you have the time and skill to make a good pair yourself, it's probably the better option, but if you are going to buy some goggles for your ghostbusters costume, I think these will do the job nicely.
Last edited by Kingpin on August 26th, 2013, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Youtube code
portugueseGB liked this
I figured by now there would have been a video review which I suppose is something I could start doing. I enjoy writing and at times being creative with it. I spent a lot of time writing a review (without having the Ecto Goggles in front of me) today for my site, Ectocontainment.

Here's the link if you're interested. Blog entry/review: http://ectocontainment.com/index_files/ ... oggles.htm

Admin/Mods: This will be the last time I promote my review.
got my goggles from BBTS today... cant believe how small they are! I havent tested the ghost animations yet, I need to get some batteries. definitely NOT a prop replica as they advertised, just another expensive plastic toy from Matty! but Im pretty sure my nephew will love them when he opens the box on Christmas morning!

edit: I opened it up, but the batteries in, turned the knob, and.... nothing. the batteries werent fresh out of a package, they came from my 'junk drawer' where I keep stuff like batteries, tape, matches etc - this has been an issue with Matty toys before, so Im hoping some fresh AAAs right out of the package will make it work. otherwise I have to send the goggles back to Big Bad Toy Store.
@Ejgunth87 I live in Maine and mine arrived today.

I tried them out, I felt just like a kid again watching the animations inside the goggles. While this is a fun toy, I would defiantly not use it for cosplaying since they do not stay on top of your head very well and as others have said the straps are not very sturdy either. Plus with the inside not being lined with a soft material I doubt you would want to wear them for long anyway.
joeghostbuster wrote:got my goggles from BBTS today... cant believe how small they are! I havent tested the ghost animations yet, I need to get some batteries. definitely NOT a prop replica as they advertised, just another expensive plastic toy from Matty! but Im pretty sure my nephew will love them when he opens the box on Christmas morning!

edit: I opened it up, but the batteries in, turned the knob, and.... nothing. the batteries werent fresh out of a package, they came from my 'junk drawer' where I keep stuff like batteries, tape, matches etc - this has been an issue with Matty toys before, so Im hoping some fresh AAAs right out of the package will make it work. otherwise I have to send the goggles back to Big Bad Toy Store.
I had the same problem too... putting in new batteries, nothing, checking the voltage of the new batteries, putting them back in, nothing, twisting the knob, slowly twisting the knob, then I got the images. Very poor switch design I think.

I too think it looks too much of a toy. My wife even says it doesn't look like the one in the movie, and it looks cartoonish, like a toy. It is a toy, not a prop.
joeghostbuster liked this
I think my goggles have been to more states than me!
To think, I received my order confirmation within 15 minutes of it being on sale... They never moved until the 22nd...
The box should be somewhere between Florida & Puerto Rico being pulled by a carrier pigeon...
portugueseGB liked this
elsoldao7 wrote:I think my goggles have been to more states than me!
To think, I received my order confirmation within 15 minutes of it being on sale... They never moved until the 22nd...
The box should be somewhere between Florida & Puerto Rico being pulled by a carrier pigeon...
Mine were the same until yesterday when it arrived to the guaynabo post office and then to me. They arrived at jacksonville on the 27 so maybe you can estimate the arrival date.

On a side note it was a miracle that I got them since matty collector put the address wrong ( ship it to Guaynabo, Illinois instead of Puerto Rico and put no zip code on the box)

Honestly, I don’t think there is damage from[…]

Greetings

http://i.imgur.com/1kB7fOZ.jpg

I love that people are still making these packs. I[…]

At the moment my interest would be what sorts fo[…]