I like to think I have an open mind, but when it comes to Bob he should not be allowed within a mile of that car if you want the job done right. There are plenty of people in this community who could do the job a thousand times better than he could. I would rather see it left to rot than to let Bob get his hands on it. Also the very notion of doing the restoration for free is laughable at best. The car needs thousands of dollars in work to make it safe to drive let a lone look just like it did in 1989. Hopefully this petition will do the trick and get Sony to leave the car in safe hands.
travisccook, Kingpin, Boomerjinks and 2 others liked this
Solodarprince-

Please don't take my post as a stab at you -it's not.

I'm one of the people VBob has recast (sadly, he's not the only one who seems to like my work :(). Before it happened to me I had a pretty morally ambiguous attitude towards those that recast.

Since then, for obvious reasons, I've reevaluated my attitude. To be willing to recast someone else's work, a person has to be willing to jump over a fairly obvious ethical line. As an example, if you walked past an empty table at a restaurant that had a tip on it from the prior diners, would you pocket the money if no one was looking? I think a person who recasts falls in the group of people who would; after all, it's not that much money and the victim will never know they took it. It's practically a victimless crime, right? Or, in any case, they shouldn't have left it on the table where it might be taken -see where I'm going with this?

Aside from the ethical considerations, a recaster is lazy. Most pieces are not that difficult to fabricate -they just take time (and practice). If you've watched the Pawn Stars episode where VBob brings his BTTF Delorean to the pawn shop you'll note that the owner comments while driving the car it stinks of gas and exhaust. To me this means VBob made no attempt to clean up the car mechanically, just did the minimum effort required to make it look good. What might be hiding under the paint job of the Ecto he made? Do you think a lazy person treated for rust or other structural defects?

People who have bought VBob's shell complain of a poor gel coating, thin spots and brittleness. I believe at least one purchaser of a VBob Delorean complained that the car had issues both mechanically and with the added props. Bob's response was that you own it now, it's your problem.

Now, if you take that attitude and think about what might happen if VBob got his hands on the Ecto-1A it becomes a frightening prospect. What pieces would he mold/cast/resell while they were in his possession? What original pieces might he keep and replace with "replacements". In an effort to keep costs down while doing his "free" restoration what short cuts would he take?

A number of the board members have taken cars that were in far worse shape that the Ecto-1A and turned them into beautiful replicas. So, while none of us like to see the Ecto-1A in its current state, it's not a ticking time bomb. Personally, I'd rather see the car sit for another few years before seeing that iconic prop fall into VBob's hands.

Just my opinion, your milage may vary ;)
Kingpin, Ecto-1 fan, Glenn Frederick and 2 others liked this
By Kingpin
solodarkprince wrote:Yawn your boring.
Now that's a lovely attitude.
solodarkprince wrote:People may have issues with Bob, bit let's be honest he does have the knowledge and it would be better than leaving it to die. I'm just saying. If he gets it at least we know it will get rebuilt. Cause Sony won't.
We would have to be in dire straights if we had to resort to bringing Videobob on board to help get the Ecto-1A restored.

He neither has the skill nor the knowledge... and if the rumours are to be believed, he stole parts from one of the original filming DeLoreans from Back to the Future.
Lol actually the Yawn your boring was for a text I got while I was about to respond. Using my multi Window on my phone. The capitalized part was for here though. I'm not s big fan of him either I read the stories. Just want it away from Sony. And if he got it since he is clearly about money someone would be able to get it easier off of him than off of Sony. If they don't mention this site of course cause you know how that will turn out.
Can Slob Moseley even afford to do it for free? He seems to have trouble unloading that so-called Ecto-1 with the airbag suspension on Ebay.
Peter Venkman Jr. liked this
I think we should probably direct the conversation back to the actual topic at hand rather than spiraling into another spewfest towards Video Bob.

I want to applaud the work of AJ for being supremely dedicated to the franchise and, in particular, this exact piece of franchise history. It's a real shame that such an iconic vehicle is sitting in disarray somewhere when there are more than a few handfuls of ready, willing and able passionate fans who could restore it to glory. Here's to hoping this works, I know I'd love to someday be able to see and touch the Ecto-1A in person. Kudos again, AJ!
Matt Campbell, bpontheair, AJ Quick and 5 others liked this
Cory Levy wrote:I want to applaud the work of AJ for being supremely dedicated to the franchise and, in particular, this exact piece of franchise history. It's a real shame that such an iconic vehicle is sitting in disarray somewhere when there are more than a few handfuls of ready, willing and able passionate fans who could restore it to glory. Here's to hoping this works, I know I'd love to someday be able to see and touch the Ecto-1A in person. Kudos again, AJ!
I'll second that!
According to one of AJ's updates on the petition they have due to people trying to buy, look, and/or steal it.
Sony has fortunately chosen to protect the car and as of today it is stored inside away from people who would rather see more harm caused to it than be helpful.
Happy Halloween! Just finished watching GB 2 with my wife and oldest son after trick or treating and thought I'd check to see where the signatures sat and am glad to see we've exceeded the 10,000 AJ was aiming for, hopefully only good things can come from here.
this kinda reminds me of a story I had heard back when I was in High School about the surviving General Lee chargers. (Dukes of Hazzard)

the Founder of the Dodge Charger registry was contacted by WB some time in 1989, after he inquired about the Chargers used on the show, TDC (The Dodge Charger Registry) Was advised to start a non profit organization, and each of the 17 people (19 Chargers were left over, 17 were sold) who Bought a share of the NPO got a car once the NPO dissolved.

this way WB was free and clear from any lawsuits that could come up if someone decided to jump a house, and got hurt in the process.

the downside is, those 17 people.. waited 2 years to claim these cars while the lawyers sorted it all out..
AJ Quick wrote:I have been very busy recently.. but I hope to have an organized 'pitch' to provide them in the next week or so.
I am sure that we will hear something hopefully soon. I would not give up hope just yet.
So...what was the response? I realize it's been a while, but there was never any update of any kind. Obviously GBFans doesn't own the car, but where is the Ecto-1A now? My assumption is some Sony warehouse though I'd love to know more.
deadderek wrote: My assumption is some Sony warehouse though I'd love to know more.
I'm sure we all would like to know as well.

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]