SuperDuperCK wrote:I am reading mixed reviews, if you all had to buy this again or go for something else, would you all buy the Proton Pack again?
I'm buying these for my three kids. I'm sure they'll wear them out and eventually break them so we'll see how well they hold up after they're received.
TK5759, I am getting one for costume parties events. I am sure I will find a way to break it by knocking it over by accident or something. Till, then, I just hope it looks and acts some what like they do in the movies. Otherwise, I will just keep it as a conversation piece. The Adult Ghostbusters Suit at Spirit Halloween in Men's XL size fits me well and I'm ~ 5" 5' ~205 lb, the only down side is that it is very winkled. If I get the suit too, I am thinking I will get it carefully steamed.
Anyone going to tear their Pack apart and willing to post tear down pictures?
I have not gotten any shipping notices and expect to be waiting until mid October before mine arrive. I am interested in seeing if there is a way to hack into the electronics so the the cyclotron lights could be going all the time and also see if the powercell lights could get some motion to them.
There is a review on Youtube that removes the back and takes a look.
I think the board is in the Thrower, which he didn't take apart.
https://youtu.be/D6nhnDyMZNI?t=354

I don't know much about reworking chips but it would likely be much easier to just throw in a separate board.
A quick look around the internet says you can get a LED CHASER KIT that would work for a constant cycling cyclotron for less than $10.
Not sure on the bargraph, maybe just a blinking/pulsing LED so again not much, maybe $15 total for the pair.
Wouldn't be hard to tie them into the main power line, could probably even just use electrical tape if you can't solder.
TKTC Ralph wrote:There's a youtube video of one guy opening up the pack and you can see a good view of the interior.
GK45 wrote:There is a review on Youtube that removes the back and takes a look.
I think the board is in the Thrower, which he didn't take apart.
https://youtu.be/D6nhnDyMZNI?t=354

I don't know much about reworking chips but it would likely be much easier to just throw in a separate board.
A quick look around the internet says you can get a LED CHASER KIT that would work for a constant cycling cyclotron for less than $10.
Not sure on the bargraph, maybe just a blinking/pulsing LED so again not much, maybe $15 total for the pair.
Wouldn't be hard to tie them into the main power line, could probably even just use electrical tape if you can't solder.
Thanks for the pointer. I saw multiple unboxing and eval videos, but missed the "take a part" portion. I have got to use more generic search terms!

Without examining the boards it is tough to tell, but I would guess the one next to the speaker may contain the controller and the wand may just be the switch and an LED.

I was hoping to see it could easily be updated, but it looks like the cyclotron lights are wired together so even that will probably need to be replaced instead of just tapping into the wires. Probably at least 3 boards; 2 to replace the cyclotron boards (mounting using the existing screws) and a powercell board to replace the hot glued single LED - will have to play around and see what a reasonable way to mount a board up there.

To bad the wand was not opened up so we could see how much room is in there. Would really like to add a fire button rather than just the on/off...
I plan on putting this configuration minus the bar graph into the pack as I bought enough components for my sons custom build to do it again.

Once I have the spirit pack in hand I'll be 3d printing a new wand for it. The 83% wand for my son's pack came out really well. My son is a lefty so his custom pack is mirrored for him.

CountDeMonet wrote:I plan on putting this configuration minus the bar graph into the pack as I bought enough components for my sons custom build to do it again.

Once I have the spirit pack in hand I'll be 3d printing a new wand for it. The 83% wand for my son's pack came out really well. My son is a lefty so his custom pack is mirrored for him.
I would love to do that but I can't find anywhere to get the thing printed for less then around $100.
Spongeface wrote: Thanks for the pointer. I saw multiple unboxing and eval videos, but missed the "take a part" portion. I have got to use more generic search terms!

Without examining the boards it is tough to tell, but I would guess the one next to the speaker may contain the controller and the wand may just be the switch and an LED.

I was hoping to see it could easily be updated, but it looks like the cyclotron lights are wired together so even that will probably need to be replaced instead of just tapping into the wires. Probably at least 3 boards; 2 to replace the cyclotron boards (mounting using the existing screws) and a powercell board to replace the hot glued single LED - will have to play around and see what a reasonable way to mount a board up there.

To bad the wand was not opened up so we could see how much room is in there. Would really like to add a fire button rather than just the on/off...
I'm sure the wand is almost entirely hollow but I'm not sure how much room it would have being so small.
Definitely needs to have the grills drilled out for a light and a properly placed activation.
Honestly, for me, the wand just needs to be replaced entirely. Problem is doing it for a reasonable price.

As far as electronics, not sure I would entirely throw out the original board but I also don't have any experience.
The sounds aren't great so disconnect the speaker and replace it with the $10 sound chip in the shop? Not sure how the chip works though, would have to look into it.
The activated lights are fine so keep the lights attached to the activation button but add a switch to activate a Chaser board and whatever option you chose for the power cell.

You can just hotglue the cycling LEDs to the currently attached board without much trouble.

EDIT: I should mention that I am looking at this from the view of putting as little money into it as possible.
I'm thinking $150 max, if I end up spending $200 on the thing then I might as well start putting together a proper pack at that point.
CountDeMonet wrote:It cost me about $10 in filament to print it but I have 2 printers available to me. There is an upfront cost to the printers but I love mine.
Really? Wow, 3dprinting services have it good.
I've thought about getting a printer a few times but I really just don't have the money or space for a good one.
Was looking at the Monoprice Mini at the time, little small but good enough, that was a year ago though.

What I really need is to buddy up to someone with a printer, best of both worlds.
The monoprice mini is a great first printer. Small build platform though. My main printer is the monoprice maker select. Requires a few upgrades to print well but a great printer for the price. I think I paid $270 for it and have about $50 in upgrades
Last edited by CountDeMonet on September 10th, 2017, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CountDeMonet wrote:The monoprice mini is a great first printer. Small build platform though. My main printer is the monoprice maker select. Requires a few upgrades to print well but a great printer for the price. I think I paid $270 for it and have about $50 in upgrades
I have the Select Mini. I love it. So much that I'm on my third from using it so much. I wish the build deck was just a little bit bigger but for the price it's a great printer. I ordered one of these packs over the weekend. I plan on making some accurate fittings and ribbon cable and calling it a day since it'll be for events. If I wanted to drop a few hundred on modding it I'd just buy a studio creations shell and build a full size one
I don't think it's possible to increase the build platform size on that machine without changing out a lot of parts. If you want more build space the maker select is a better option. Just be ready for a few upgrades. If you are handy with glue there are lots of software programs that allow you to split models for smaller beds.

For your first prints I'd do simple things :) there is a learning curve.
I just ordered two of them. Not any rush for them since I am going as Jason from Friday The 13th Part 3 this year but I want something to carry and figure my wife will get the second pack since they weigh very little. Gotta read up on the customizing them though.
I'm having so much trouble ordering this damn thing. First of all, the shipping address section doesn't seem to understand Canadian Addresses. Everytime I type in the name of my Provence and click next I get an error asking me for the name of my Provence. Then I try the ship with Paypal option and I get this error:

"According to the U.S. Postal Service, we could not find a match to your address as entered. To prevent delayed or undeliverable shipment, please confirm that your address is correct as entered.
Use address as entered or edit:
Note: Your shipment may be delayed or undeliverable if you choose to use your address as entered."

Tried the Guest survives and all I get is an apology and a suggestion that I call the company. I don't want to call the company, I want to pay for my pack and have it shipped where it needs to go.

Before anyone suggests I buy one from the GB store, it's not an option. The last time I bought from here a $12 Running press proton pack replica turned into a $40 purchase. I don't want to know how much a $99 dollar Spirithalloween pack is going to cost me.
GBfan77 wrote:I don't want to call the company,
Well that's the whole point of customer service phone numbers. It could be a glitch they're not even aware of. Just make the call it's not really that big of a deal.
GBfan77 wrote:I'm having so much trouble ordering this damn thing. First of all, the shipping address section doesn't seem to understand Canadian Addresses. Everytime I type in the name of my Provence and click next I get an error asking me for the name of my Provence. Then I try the ship with Paypal option and I get this error:

"According to the U.S. Postal Service, we could not find a match to your address as entered. To prevent delayed or undeliverable shipment, please confirm that your address is correct as entered.
Use address as entered or edit:
Note: Your shipment may be delayed or undeliverable if you choose to use your address as entered."

Tried the Guest survives and all I get is an apology and a suggestion that I call the company. I don't want to call the company, I want to pay for my pack and have it shipped where it needs to go.

Before anyone suggests I buy one from the GB store, it's not an option. The last time I bought from here a $12 Running press proton pack replica turned into a $40 purchase. I don't want to know how much a $99 dollar Spirithalloween pack is going to cost me.
Well, I mean, first off, if you call the number they're gonna be able to help you. I get not wanting to be on the phone, but this will accomplish what you're trying to do, so you're kinda giving yourself a hard time about it when you don't need to.

That said, I know I had issues with the site before with shipping details. Usually it stemmed from an autofill feature. Try typing in your address each line, never using an autofill from past info, and type in the Zip/Postal Code. After that, it autofills the city and state based on their info. That worked for me.
deadderek liked this
Hey guys. New to the group. I pre-ordered my Spirit Halloween pack and received it at the end of August. I live in Canada so I was quite happy. I love the size and weight. I think it's perfect. I modded my pack with things I had around the house but I did invest in new lighting and ribbon. I also attached the Matty Neutrino Wand using aluminum I found in the garage for the hook. I used the top of an apple cider vinegar container to attach the hose to the wand handle so I can detach any time I want. You can actually put a screw in the audio jack without damaging it. The ion rod is actually brass door hing pin. Just for kicks, I attached a headphone jack to the speaker inside so that I can hook it up to my phone or mp3 player and either play the theme song or proton pack sounds. I will weather it a bit but still debating on painting it since it will mostly be used in the dark. I am now waiting for the ALICE pack which should arrive in a week or so. Anyways, I attached some pics. Feel free to ask any questions.

Houlygan
Last edited by houlygan on September 25th, 2017, 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
redfive1973, zeta otaku, TK5759 and 5 others liked this
houlygan wrote:Hey guys. New to the group. I pre-ordered my Spirit Halloween pack and received it at the end of August. I live in Canada so I was quite happy. I love the size and weight. I think it's perfect. I modded my pack with things I had around the house but I did invest in new lighting and ribbon. I also attached the Matty Neutrino Wand using aluminum I found in the garage for the hook. I used the top of an apple cider vinegar container to attach the hose to the wand handle so I can detach any time I want. You can actually put a screw in the audio jack without damaging it. The ion rod is actually brass door hing pin. Just for kicks, I attached a headphone jack to the speaker inside so that I can hook it up to my phone or mp3 player and either play the theme song or proton pack sounds. I will weather it a bit but still debating on painting it since it will mostly be used in the dark. I am now waiting for the ALICE pack which should arrive in a week or so. Anyways, I attached some pics. Feel free to ask any questions.

Houlygan
Welcome, and that is one hell of an introduction! :cool:

Using rip-stop cotton and custom dye for each char[…]

The journey from commonplace to Ecto-75.

Whole car is great but the pack trolly...how?

Proton Props???

If anyone here is still pondering ordering from th[…]

I haven't done the new update to the Spirits Unlea[…]