Entertainment Weekly has broken an exclusive, detailing that Jason Reitman (the son of Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II director Ivan Reithman - and a memorable brief actor in the 1989 sequel) has been recruited to direct a new Ghostbusters movie.

Revealing further details, the new film will be a continuation of the 1984/1989 franchise, and is scheduled to begin filming in early 2019, with a projected release date of the summer of 2020.
The script for the new sequel has been written by Jason Reitman, along with director Gil Kenan (Monster House, City of Ember and Poltergeist [2015]), and the film will be produced by Ivan Reitman, making this a father/son project.

This story is in the early stages. As always, Ghostbusters Fans will bring you developments as they unfold.
NotSabbat, Sav C, Alphagaia and 1 others liked this
This is crazy news! I can't help but wonder what the story will be. Also, I wonder if they will keep the video game as canon (I hope so).

Personally, I want to see a prospering GB corporation with franchises in each state. I would want each character in the following role:

Winston: Heads up the NYC branch, being the flagship of the company, working as a hands one manager and trainer. NYC is where all potential franchise owners train before being allowed to run their own show.

Peter: He no longer gets involved in actual busting. He focuses on advertising, merch, and acquiring new buyers for more locations. When the others are worried about an increase in hauntings, Peter is worried about t-shirt sales. But he gets called in for a consult now and then.

Ray: Head of R&D. He creates and inspects all the equipment, roles out new gear along side Winston at the NYC branch, and ensures that all ectomobiles meet company standards.

Egon: He has passed away, but he was able to upload his mind into a computer. No voice doubles or CGI recreations, just a database that Ray can tap into when he needs advice. This way, he is still with us without recasting him which would be terrible.

Janine: In charge of administrative operations and HR. She runs training classes for all receptionists and in in charge of general accounting as well.

Dana and Oscar: not in this movie. I'd like the game to be canon and Dana's relationship to Peter was dealt with and over. We don't need Oscar either.

Peck, Gozer, Vigo, Stay Puft: None of them should be in this movie. At most, I'd like to see Sta Puft merch being sold by the GB's, but that's it.

Slimer: Yes, I'd want Slimer in it. I want him used as a test subject by Ray and as a training ghost when Winston brings in a team franchise team. In fact the first scene can be Winston busting Slimer just to get it out of the way. But I don't want him to be called Slimer like they gave him a name. They can call him the slimer, as in the one that loves to slime people. It's still canon that his slime was used to help create the upgraded slime blower/tether. They don't treat him like a pet like in RGB and they have no problem using him for testing.

Luis Tully: If Rick Moranis came back, he does the accounting for just the NYC branch. Janine is his boss.
Thank you God!!!!

Jason, buddy, please read this and keep this stuff in mind.

The comedy should ONLY come from dialogue or the surreal. Not every character needs to be spouting improv quips like GB'16.

Make it scary. And don't over do the Ghostbusting action. For a movie called "Ghostbusters" the first two movies have relatively little Ghostbusting going on. That's a good thing. Keep it to the characters and their investigation.

Use Dan Aykroyd for any and all exposition. Dan is an exposition delivery master. He's good at writing and delivering it. Please use him.

Do not update the equipment or Ecto 1.

Music: please do not update the Ghostbusters theme. Also Please hire a competent composer. Might I suggest fellow Canadian Howard Shore? Or Michael Giachino.

Watch "Extreme Ghostbusters". Use that show as inspiration.

And finally? Make a good film and good luck. You have the right aesthetic for this. Your comedies are dry, witty and grounded. Perfect for Ghostbusters.

We are in good hands.

And don't worry about Bill Murray. I'd rather have no Murray than the one that showed in up Gb'16. Use Hudson and Danny.

Thank you
Sav C, deadderek liked this
RichardLess wrote: January 15th, 2019, 11:04 pm Make it scary. And don't over do the Ghostbusting action. For a movie called "Ghostbusters" the first two movies have relatively little Ghostbusting going on.
I particularly agree with this point! Don't make it too flashy, stick to the fundamentals! We are in good hands.

Saverio
I think we could have a little more ghost busting than in GB1 and GB2. If we start in a world where they are still established then we can give a little more time to the job. However, no extreme action with flips and crap.

I think the equipment needs to be updated a little, but still kept in the same weird style. The originals were prototypes. After 30 years it stands to reason it would be upgraded a little. Of course if they go the route where the GBs have been out of business and a new team uses their old equipment then I can see it not changing, but if it's a story where they stayed in business then something has got to change. This can't be Star Wars where nothing is allowed to change.
Sav C, Alphagaia liked this
RichardLess wrote: January 16th, 2019, 2:57 am Hey mods, is it possible to merge all the GB3 threads under one thread? I wana talk about this thing but there seem to be 3 or 4 threads about this new development.
The news thread will remain separate from all other threads about Jason's film, but we'll take a look at any others posted outside of the news sub-forum.
petesapie wrote: January 16th, 2019, 10:40 am Gave me goosebumps watching the teaser, however, shouldn't it be the ecto 1a under the sheet that looks to be rusted out?
Maybe, assuming they didn't swap back to Ecto-1 at some point between 1989 and 2019.

However, it'd be harder to achieve because Ecto-1A was in a sorry, unrestored state as of the last sighting of the car.
Posting here because its about Jason Reitman specifically; I first rolled my eyes at Ivan's son directing the next movie and Im trying really hard not to just jump on a hype train, but the guy has 19 director credits of some really solid films. Lots of humorous yet serious drama and it really seems to fit perfectly for a modern Ghostbusters movie. This thing has a good chance of being a really good movie.
Watching his trailers; If the feel of any one of them was Ghostbusters themed I would be all in.
Kingpin wrote: January 16th, 2019, 10:58 am Maybe, assuming they didn't swap back to Ecto-1 at some point between 1989 and 2019.

However, it'd be harder to achieve because Ecto-1A was in a sorry, unrestored state as of the last sighting of the car.
I could be mistaken, but I believe there's a scene from the Ghostbusters II novel that explains the Ecto-1A being a new purchase to replace the old car -- in case anyone was of the mind the Ecto-1A was just the Ecto-1 modified for a new look. Not sure if that's what was being weighed, so please forgive my pedantry if I'm off base.

Is the car used in teaser... real? My first impression was that it's a 3D model. My second impression is if it wasn't a 3D model, they must have digitally beat up the real screen-used car in something like After Effects. Point is, if they really wanted to use the Ecto-1A, they could have achieved that digitally. It's just not as iconic and immediately gratifying as seeing that classic movie car. :)
groschopf wrote: January 17th, 2019, 7:20 amI could be mistaken, but I believe there's a scene from the Ghostbusters II novel that explains the Ecto-1A being a new purchase to replace the old car -- in case anyone was of the mind the Ecto-1A was just the Ecto-1 modified for a new look. Not sure if that's what was being weighed, so please forgive my pedantry if I'm off base.
There may well be a scene that nature - the tricky thing with novel tie-ins is that sometimes they feature content/scenes/lines that end up being cut or changed before the final product, and sometimes the author embellishes something to fill in details not included.
groschopf wrote: January 17th, 2019, 7:20 amIs the car used in teaser... real? My first impression was that it's a 3D model. My second impression is if it wasn't a 3D model, they must have digitally beat up the real screen-used car in something like After Effects.
I'm certain it's the real deal rather than a stand-in, with some cosmetic (or digital) rust and weathering. The imperfections in the logo (mis-alignment of the red prohibition symbol and the black outline of the ghost) seem too much effort for a digital recreation.
UntouchableGen wrote: January 17th, 2019, 10:05 pm Dan aykroyd owns the ecto and refurbishes it just for tours and cons.... I feel it could have been legit.
Unfortunately that isn't quite the case. Sony Pictures has retained ownership of Ecto-1 and Ecto-1A since production wrapped on Ghostbusters II in 1988/1989. Dan has tried to purchase them on occasion, but the efforts have never resulted in anything. The Ecto-1 was refurbished (Ecto-1A was also due to be fixed up, but the project was cancelled) by Sony, and has been used for promotion events and tours by Sony's arrangement.
deadderek liked this
    Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he do[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]