The latest updates to the Ghostbusters Fans site.
When I first launched Ghostbusters Fans back in February it was unfinished as far as how I wanted it. I kind of lost the drive to work on it more after it was launched. But now I am noticing a few loose ends, and other things that just aren't exactly how I wanted them. So here is some information on some features that I will be working on in the next few days...

Commenting
I would like to add back in the commenting system that was on the old GBProps. You will be able to comment on friends props, fan art, blogs, videos.. and more. Hopefully this will give back in more interactivity and promote good conversation among the community. Making friends and other things..

Blogging
While I introduced Blogging about a month ago, it is still not as deeply integrated into the site as I would like it to be. Soon when you write a blog entry about a prop or piece of fan art... it will appear on your prop page. This will kinda be like a way to keep people up to date on progress of a prop or fan art. Similarly you can write about anything going on in your life so you can keep your friends informed.

Recent Activity
Currently the recent activity on your Control Panel only shows a few bits of detail you should know about... Private Messaging, News Updates & Comments to your Profile. I would like to expand this to show you what your friends are doing.. when they add new props or fan art.. or when they comment on any of your things.

RSS Capabilities
RSS seems like one of the cooler things the internet has given us in the last few years and I would like to incorporate it into the site more. You will be able to have your news and recent activity piped into any feed reader to get GBFans updates where ever you visit online.

Props/Fan Art Expansion
I would like to make the prop & fan art sections larger by adding the blog system into the pages. And then also allow you to write captions on your photos.. and have users comment on them as well. (I know this has been a feature people have been requesting for years! So why not add it!?)

Work on Main Pages - THIS IS SOMETHING YOU CAN HELP OUT ON
One of the biggest thing the site needs is more content about Ghostbusters. All the pages in the system are editable by you guys. I am planning on working on a lot of the pages and have already started to work on the Games section. If you know something about a particular subject.. why not tackle it by writing about it!?
I actually do like that alot better. Good work.
I just overhauled the prop pages and fan art pages a bit.

Now there is more information about who owns the props or art.. and now the images open up on the page.. rather than in a popup. This is to get ready to add captions to the images.

Soon I will add in the blog entries and make commenting possible.
I added the 5 latest blog entries for a specific prop to your prop pages.

See my page as an example:

http://www.gbfans.com/fans/props/ghost-traps/1118/

Keep in mind it is not finished.. I still need to add in commenting and then spice everything up a bit more.
I completely forgot about two new features in the works.

Franchises
Soon those who have Franchises will be able to post their group, and setup their members.. and also recruit new members. Hopefully this will be used by those who have a fairly concise group like the AZ Ghostbusters... and others. This should be a good way to bring members together. Those in Franchises that deal in more fictional means will be able to post their Fan Fiction.. and have them linked in their group's profile.

Ghostbusters RPG
I will be working on a GB RPG text based game that will take place here on the site. The rules will be the same as the Ghostbusters RPG by West End Games and will allow players to take turns playing against others. The game play will be similar to playing a game of chess against someone somewhere else.. where you write down your move and then wait for the next players move. (Though.. I would love to see some kind of real time gameplay develop.. in a chat room or somewhere else.)
By Spengs
Other then fan fiction (case oriented files) how will the franchise section(s) here be different then Ghostbusters International®?
The organization of how they're listed can always be improved. They're all listed in our List area. Which is accessible from the navigation menu throughout the majority of the site.
AJ Quick wrote:I completely forgot about two new features in the works.

Franchises
Soon those who have Franchises will be able to post their group, and setup their members.. and also recruit new members. Hopefully this will be used by those who have a fairly concise group like the AZ Ghostbusters... and others. This should be a good way to bring members together. Those in Franchises that deal in more fictional means will be able to post their Fan Fiction.. and have them linked in their group's profile.
Wow! Looks like I have my work cut out for me. : ) That's one of the best ideas yet!
Spengs wrote:The organization of how they're listed can always be improved. They're all listed in our List area. Which is accessible from the navigation menu throughout the majority of the site.
Oh I see now.

The Franchises section at GBFans won't just be a list of members with a link to their websites. It will totally give franchises a presence on the site in an integrated system that networks all members together... and will allow all franchises.. whether fictional or real (less fictional?) a way to post blogs, news, pictures stories.. and more.
It is now possible to add captions to prop pictures... Delete individual pictures.. and set the thumbnail easier.

In order to use this new feature.. just go to your control panel, and you will see the option to edit pictures under Props.

http://www.gbfans.com/control-panel/props/
Marsupial wrote:how will one "register" his franchise to this site?
There will be a simple form that needs to be filled out.

It will probably be moderated just so everyone doesn't start their own group.

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]

And, lastly, for now, the video that prompted me t[…]

At some point, probably just better off opening up[…]