Post pics of work in progress or to your fan art here on Ghostbusters Fans.
After seeing what another fan did here:

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 90&t=26555

I decided I need to follow in his footsteps. A 12" scale Sam had been on my backburner for almost a year now, but the dementor made such a great base, that I decided to do a 6" one first.

Plans are to do his cowl in sculpey flex, possbly wired to make it pose how I want it. I'll be adding some small yellow LEDS, to light the eyes and mouth, and also some added polyfill "smoke" arund his neck, like I did with our traps.

I grabbed a bunch of images of the web from various sources:

And came up with a quick sketch combining things I liked from the various sources:

Since I wanted the head hollow for lights, I figured I'd first use two halves of a plastic easter egg for a inner "frame". That proved to be too large, so I fell back to the tried and true aluminum foil ball sculpting trick.

Supersculpey and a few hours later, here's what I've got:

The top is just on for scale, and will be completely redone. Once I complete sculpting, I'll cure it in the oven, and then make a bottom to go on it, after removing [hopefully] the aluminum foil.

The lights will just be one of those cheap halloween yellow led necklaces I picked up last Halloween season, 3 in the head, and 5 around the base of the neck, nestled in polyfoam to create the "smoke"effect.
Couldn't have done him without your inspiration! ;)

I already see issuesI dislike that don't match the sketch though.. I might have to bake the teeth sperately, and then put them in... they need to be lots smaller, and the mouth extends too far down.
I hope to finish him today. Someone suuggested molding him and makin him available, but my mold making skills are pretty sad now, since I havent done one in about 14 years. Plus he would have to be hollow, and I've never done anything like that before.

If he comes out well, I can always sculpt another one if someone is interested in molding it up. I do plan on a 1:6 scale Sam head as well for the 12" figures.
Thanks, KC. I'm doing the final sculpting today, and then its time for baking, painting and adding the leds!

EDIT: I think I'm closer to the final look of the face.... closer to my original sketch.

Quick lunch, and then back to the grindstone.
Somethin's in the oven.. and it smells Spooky!

Here's a progression pic from early sculpt to finish.

Thanks for the praise. I've drawn, painted, and sculpted on and off since the 70's. I've done custom action figures and such in the past. (Like what you see capt. Cyan doing.) You can see some of my painting skills in the Bayonetta resin statue I posted about here about a month ago. (I did sculpt some minor broken bits that came off that as well, BTW.)

Of late, I've been doing a lot of cgi work.

I didn't really have to sculpt anything for building our Gb props, which was a whole new experience to me, and I love learning new skills.

Also, whenever I posted anything in the past year, I was being harassed, so I shared less here. I was encouraged to participate more here again recently, and was assured that the powers that be were trying to change the attitudes here. Thankfully, that has proved to be the case, so I'm sharing my projects again.

Here's a quick lighting test. Sorry for the blurriness, but my cell camera couldn't focus on the bright lights. (The actual lights being used will be much dimmer.

I'm reconsidring the light source now. I could use a bunch of leds from one of those holiday ribbons that are lit by leds (I picked up a ton for those Ghostbuster wreaths I did a while back.) Downside of those, is I'd have to replace the wall current power supply with a battery pack, or make it someting that plugs into the wall.

I'd loose the flashing capability, but I could have him lit on display 24/7, which I kind of like.

I'm taking a break since all the really hard work is done on him. I might still sculpt up his sculpey flex cowl today. In the mean time, I decided to play with him some!

Poor Ray! First it was Stay Puft, Then Vigo posessed him, and now Sam Hain has channeled into him as well! ;)
Gareee, Creative as ever, That is really cool!Cant wait to see the finished product!
After a few inquirees, I'm considering seeing if I can get these molded up and cast by someone. I doubt my ancient molding and casting skills. (Its been about 14 years since I've done anything like that, and even then, I was just tinkering around with it.)

And worse, I have a ton of dragoncon preparation, and of course right after that is Halloween.

It sounds like slush casting these might do the trick, and there are plenty of youtube videos to learn by, but I don't know that I want to add another project on on to do list. I figured this would be an easy project that would just take a few days. (I could easily complete him in about 2 hours now, bu if I consider making reproductions, I can't paint him up.

I'll mull it over for a few days, and thanks for the kudos!
wow, that is awesome. Gareee.

it's old pumpkin head :)
If you google "gareee", you'll pull up my old fortunecity website. I posted my custom Janine I did here somewhere ages ago, and did start a thread I thinkj of misc artwork I'd done in the past. Its scattered all over.

Also if you check my facebook page, there are a few folders of various art type things.
As much as I appreciate the inquirees about getting casts of this, for now I'll have to say no.

I have too many projects on my plate right now for Dragoncon and Halloween t relarn casting and molding, and to order the materials and experiment.

HOWEVER, I'm going to paint it up, and affix it to the body in a removable fashion, so once things slow down here, I can revisit the idea, or see if someone else who does casting can tackle the job properly.

If I can, I'll revisit the idea in september after Dragoncon, and might have them by October.

(Of course, if my paint ops suck, you might no longer be interested.. LOL!)
CaptCyan wrote:Hey Gareee!

And all this time I thought you had given up on doing custom figure work. Nice to see something new from you ( and a real pisser it is, too :-D ). Welcome back!

Almost forgot...
:crunch:
Hey Cap. Yeah I really missed doing sculpting again. I'll pop up a thread here wth whatever stuff I still can easily find.. a TON of our stuff is still packed up after 7 years here. 8( We just have FAR more than we have room for, and if I find that base figure you were looking for (I haven't forgotten!) I'll pm ya.
Yesterday I sculped his cowl in sculpey flex. (That way it won't be brittle, and can hold up to handling. Sculpey flex once cures is bendable.)

It was a pain to try to pose it on aluminum foil, so it would hold that shape once cured. (I was concerned about the materials the HP dementor is made from being in the oven, since some parts of it are flexible.)

I did some lighting tests, and he'll have the lightup eyes and mouth, but also lit polyfill "smoke" around th inside of his collar, and also at the bottom, so it looks like he is trailing a bit of smoke. I also settled on a plug in mini led string.. it means he'l have a trailing wire, BUT it also means he can be lit for permanant display, something I really like.

Today it paint day, and possibly final assembly.. depends on how things go.

And his initial paint job:

(I always end up finding isues and changign this until a project is completed.)

Yep, and nightmare on elm street dream warriors.

You can see our Paranormal Boots in action here: […]

Ghostheads

Ghostheads is SO bad. So cringe. Not even in a g[…]

The opening post contain a lot information. Quick […]