Discuss storylines and progress on fan fiction and other works in progress and post links to your Fan Fiction here on Ghostbusters Fans.
“It is bad when one thing becomes two”-Hagakure. That being said I dislike the idea of the split timline in the Ghostbusters universe. So I'm going to try and find a way to reconcile things so that the “New Timeline” could actually be made to fit within the “Classic” one. I'll focus primarily on Ghostbusters the Video Game, but I'll also briefly look at all the IDW comics, and a few other things, but mostly just to point out that there are no crazy continuity busting errors in any of them. Also I'd like apologize in advance for any grammatical mistakes, I'm not a good writer.

I think the classic Ghostbusters time line can actually incorporate GBTVG very nicely it would also easily tie in to Extreme Ghostbusters! Shocked yet? Ok, lets get down to business. (Spoiler warnings about the game if you haven't played, but then again if you haven played, quit reading my ramblings and go do it :P )

Peter and Dana- Well with a bit of a history of an on again off again relationship, Dana, in a fit dumped Pete...again. Leaving to go on a trip somewhere (or something) with Oscar, she doesn't make an appearance in the game and the guys don't mention it because she just dumped Pete and it is a bit a sore spot. On the rebound he sees Ilyssa coming out of an elevator and goes in for the kill. We see their "romance" unfold in the game, what we don't see is that right after the game ends, Dana calls Peter and apologizes. He swiftly kicks the new girl to the curb and life goes on for the happy couple. This is where I'll get on a soap box for a minute if you don't mind (If you do jump down to the next point). I hate that they couldn't have gotten Weaver back as a voice for the game, but I think they should have just gotten someone else to do a Dana like voice so they could have that character in the game. Now hear me out, they explained that the first two movies events were linked via Shandor, and that was why they had the problem at the museum, which Dana coincidentally worked at( great idea for a trilogy, 3rd movie ties the first two together, and to it, wonderfully). I do believed they dropped the ball on this one though by not taking it far enough, by making Dana be the damsel yet again. I know it bugged a lot of people that she was the gal who strangely enough had two end of the world disasters happen to her, if you made her be the unknowing the descendant of Shandor it would make sense for her to be in the game, and for her to be drawn to the museum which is why she got a job there in the second movie. Solving that big coincidence and keeping one of the main characters, plus keeping Pete and Dana together would have been awesome. Also if she comes back for the third movie it would have made more sense for her to have been in the game and therefore with the guys the whole time :). Gets down off soap box.

Equipment-I've read this contradicts the “extreme” equipment by being more advanced, I say nay! Here's my reasoning... With all the new research and building/modifying Egon and Ray do during GBTVG, the equipment got much more powerful and much heavier and harder to use so after the events of the game realizing that although very useful its impractical to employ that much tech on their packs on a regular basis. They were stripped down to their more manageable forms. When Extreme Ghostbusters comes along, the equipment has been in disuse and poor repair ever since the last time the team disbanded (since it seemed very permanent at the time). When encountering the new more powerful ghosts of the "extreme era" Egon decided to incorporate many of the design changes and upgrades into the build of the new packs, thus allowing for more power but keeping roughly the same weight. During the course of the show he upgraded and retooled the old packs back into working order, perhaps not as strong as the new packs but still functional. Also in GBTVG we see what looks like the EGB trap sitting on the work table in the basement, perhaps it is a prototype for a new more powerful trap. This will become the basis for the EGB traps once he is redoing the equipment. The bar graph on the PKE meter in GBTVG is similar to the bar graph on the EGB PKE, and in back in the saddle we see that the graph is really a display mode that can be switched to the one shown in RGB (also the timeline states the differences in the equipment between the movie style and the animated style is interpretative.) The EGBs using the bar graph because its easier to read and understand without as much training.

Ecto-1- Ok, I don't have much on this one other than Ray talking about not having a winch on the car in the game, but low and behold there is one on the Ecto in EGB perhaps one of a few changes made to it after the events of the game (like the addition of the roll bar things) of course its also missing rear side windows as well so one could assume its yet another car making I believe the 4th Ecto-1 (1, 1A, 1B, EGB E-1)

Franchising- At the end of the game, Peter offers you the chance to start a franchise. I mean the Ghostbusters have talked of franchising since day one, literally! "The franchise rights alone will make us rich beyond our wildest dreams", and we have seen at least one attempt at it (if you want to count the RPG as their first attempt to franchise, but was sadly cut short due to the impending lawsuits and what not after the events of GB1. The RPG material we have, like Tobin's spirit guide, invoice sheets and contracts, although made, were never used or given out since they couldn't start franchises.) They even talk about it at the beginning of TVG in their commercial. Well here's how it works, the rookie accepts (perhaps even getting to take the ECTO-1B as a company car, hence them getting the new one that would become the extreme ecto) but the franchise doesn't last long and causes a big mess for the team to clean up, monetarily speaking of course (which would be one of the things that help to break up the team) and throws what seems to be the last shovel of dirt onto the grave of any GB franchising, although after the success of the EGBs perhaps there could be franchise hopes after the world of 1997.

The Rookie- How come the rookie isn't mentioned in EGB?...They weren't friends with the rookie just employers, and he was with them only a short time before going off with his own franchise which in and of itself didn't last long so maybe they didn't keep in touch after he wasn't working with them anymore. This could explain why he isn't mentioned anywhere in EGB, he is at best a footnote in the history of the team. While not ignored or shunned they probably just don't talk about him often. Also Peter makes note about not wanting to know the rookies name because what happened to "the last one" I think this was just a joke on his part and there were no rookies before him (unless he was taking about becoming such good friends and business partners with Winston :P).

The game is the third movie- Egon asks Peter if he has sold the idea of another movie about them, not a 3rd movie about them so we don't know how many GB movies are in the animated universe, and even if there were only 2 and we accept that GB1 and GB2 are movie accounts of what happened to the real team one might could consider the game to also be this way. Events really happened maybe not perfectly like in the game but close enough. Peter sold it as a game instead of a movie because it was easier than the 3rd movie, while all along still trying to get another movie off the ground. Or you could assume what we play isn't a game in the GB universe at all but it really is a 3rd movie and Egon was referring to Pete's desire to have a fourth movie about them (although I like the idea that its a game better, although we'll have to pretend that the graphics are a lot worse in their reality :P )

Dr. Winston- Although in EGB Winston is not referred to as doctor he could still be one, after all they frequently call each other by their first names not by formal titles. Although having a Doctorate, after no longer being a Ghostbuster he may have returned to more normal jobs to support himself or his family, such as piloting, this makes sense to because he is an honest worker and not hung up on titles. So even though he is a doctor he wouldn't flaunt it around or be above getting a "lesser" job.

I think this sums up all the problems with the game,(Although I'd love to hear any that I missed) but this is the unified time line theory so we got to put all the IDW comics in there as well, and a few other quirks that I've noticed. The Classic Timeline seems to fit Legion and The Return in as best it can so I'll leave those alone for now. Lets see where other things might fit in. Warning: May contain spoilers for all the IDW comics and the manga. Here they are in no real particular order.

Tainted Love- In reading this comic I see that other than it taking place around Valentines day, there’s not a distinct time given, it could be any year. Also I think it takes place over Valintine's week, thus giving time for Egon to make those packs, which means if the was another Ghostbuster story that takes place on V-day itself it could still happen the same time as this. It feels like to it would happen closer to the first movie due to Winston still smoking, and with Peter and Dana being on again, off again (to make room for the ladies of RGB) it would put it as a good time for for him to try and pick up that reporter chick at the end of the story. Time placement with this one isn't that big of an issue though because with the exception of the creation of the mini packs nothing of significance takes place. Which, by the way, if you encased the bicep part of the mini packs in a yellow box, and put it on the back of a belt, then made the hand part into a gun it would essentially be Kylie's set up. After Egon shelved the mini packs and time passed, he upgraded the normal packs for TVG, then in 97 when making the new equipment he realized that with the bigger trap, carrying a pack with it was very unfeasible. With the new upgrades, and the miniaturization of tech over the last few years, he made a working mini pack(still lower in power to the other EGB packs, but defiantly capable of holding its own in a fight).

Ghost busted- Its a multi-part ghostbusting story, where its primary arc deals with Jack Hardemeyer trying to get revenge on the Ghostbusters. So its obviously sometime after the second movie. As far as I could tell nothing happens that would mess with anything else in the timeline either so it fits in pretty nicely

Past, Present, and Future- I'm inclined to put this one in the winter of 1990, (which is also conveniently enough where it sits on the New Timeline). This way there is as much distance as possible from the first time they met up with the spirits of Christmas. After the events of which the guys feel bad about how they were gonna short Winston that money. They realize how valuable, and important he is to them, as well as being their friend, and soon to have a doctorate himself, so they decide to make him a full partner in the company.(this brings it into line with the setup of TVG). I also want to point out that I believe Winston's doctorate was given to him in spring 91, its total conjecture, the reason being most graduations happen then, and this would make it both closest to the events of TVG, as well as giving the longest time span from when he joined the team to get his Ph.D. (it does take time after all)

The Other Side- No strict time table on this one either, it just takes place sometime or another although the lack of snow or coats on people put it in the late spring/summer, or even early fall. It should placed (as it already is in the New Timeline) before Displaced aggression because the ghost warlord didn't trust death to stop the Ghostbusters, hence flinging them through time. The events of DA clearly explain why. Although it does say they are dead for about a week, so there's gotta be time for that.

Displaced Aggression- A lot of time travel, and even some updated packs in this one, of course all done through magic though. They also show that Egon has already taught some paranormal classes, helping to set the precedent for EGB. The events of the book take place after the second movie since Vigo is mentioned in it as a time reference, but before both TVG and after The Other Side. Although interesting to note, it does deal with Gozer's family, and even his father being angered with the Ghostbusters defeating him. Kinda seems interesting considering that TVG is another attempt to bring the big G back to destroy the world. Although I dislike the idea of Gozer being a predominate bad guy though the entire series I do find it interesting that if this took place in 1991 then that would mean that they had the Christmas vision of Goz in PP&F, deal with his family here, then finally finish him off in TVG. Add that to the fact TVG links the events of GBII with the whole Gozer thing, plus the events of the first flim are quite obviously him as well. I think the subtle tie ins with him through out make him out to be a big deal without making him like a cartoon villain, that's there every week. Plus with so much in some way or another being centered on him it makes even more sense that after his final defeat ghost activity would plummet leading to the end of the GBs .

Con-voluted- Just a GB vacation gone wrong story, no horrible continuity altering problems. Although there is the use of camera phones and digital cameras, I'll just assume its interpretive much like the cell phones and pop culture references in Legion.

What in Samhain is going on- Yet again nothing time line shattering so it could really go anywhere, but I'd probably put it in Oct. 91. It already talks about business being slow which would help agree with the after TVG slowdown leading to the break up.

**** Sanctum of Slime- Don't know where this would fit in yet. The two biggest theories are that its set in the here and now, which would mean that the franchising finally took hold after the events of EGB. The second is that its the Rookies team taking on ghosts, which would also be fine, it would be considered one of their few adventures before disbandment.

**** Infestation- Zombies ...that's all I know

**** Marvel UK and Slimer comics aren't present in the current timeline either so I'll try and tackle them at some point in the future, when I have access to them.

The End of the Ghostbusters(complete speculation)- Its late 1991 TVG just ended and the Rookie leaves with the Ecto-1B to start up his franchise. Egon buys a new Ecto, and he strips the packs down to more manageable forms, putting the parts in storage in case of future need. Shortly there after the level of paranormal activity drops to an all time low (this is partially due to the events of TVG). The Rookie's franchise is going horribly and there is even a major accident, no one dies but all the equipment including the E-1B is more or less destroyed, and the Ghostbusters are left holding the bill. After getting everything settled from that they are barely managing, Pete realizes this and is the first to leave, going to L.A. To seek fame fortune and Dana (he keeps his shares of the business, knowing he can make some money with them). The other three continue on for a short while, but Winston leaves to find more stable work. In need of money till he gets on his feet, sells his shares of the company back to the other 3 at a reasonable price. With just Ray and Egon, ghostbusting is harder than ever, and with very few cases coming in Ray goes to do an investigation out of state. He gets more than he bargained for. In what should have been a routine investigation, four class 4 entities with high intelligence(for ghosts :P) and poltergeist like powers. They quickly over power him and even manage to break his partial thrower, realizing he has no hope he runs out and abandons the case (Casper the movie). Disheartened by this defeat and the realization that they could not continue to conduct business in this way, Egon disbands Ghostbusters (sometime in 1992, probably closer to the beginning of the year). Ray moves on to do research, while Janine is forced to find work elsewhere, and Egon stays at the firehouse to maintain the ECU. He then takes a job with the university teaching a paranormal class, although his classes have only a few students he fills a niche at the college, and is thus secure in his position. Although the job pays little, he can supplement it with grants and other types of education funds to keep the containment unit running. During this time Ray has a lab accident, after which he is left with a ton of debt, as well as being virtually blacklisted in the research field. Ray goes to Egon for help, offering to sell the only thing of value he has, his share of Ghostbusters, Egon reluctantly agrees as a way to help out his friend. With himself out of debt Ray finds a job at a car dealership, and supplements that by occasionally attending paranormal conferences and the like. Perhaps after the disbandment is also when Peter, sells the idea of TVG, making a quick profit for himself and keeping hope alive for yet another film. Things stay, more or less, this way for everyone until 97.

So there you have it, IDW, GBTVG, even Casper, all with the ability to be placed within the framework of the Classic Timeline, with little to no disruption. I know that not everything may be agreed with, and I'd be happy to fix any mistakes I've made, but I think this timeline works well and adds new depth to the overall story, especially the evolution of their technology from the first movie all the way to EGB.

I'd like to tip my hat to Fritz and everyone else who works on the timelines, without you I could not have done this, thank you. For anyone who has read all this I'm greatly appreciative, thanks for your time.

**** marks something I haven't read or been able to review yet.

Thoughts, Ideas, Comments, Questions?
Crazy1van liked this
Lots of well thought out ideas there. Of course you know there's gonna be people saying "Why even try? Only the stuff that Aykroyd and Ramis touched counts! You're wasting your time!"

I think one of the big problems that eventually led to me splitting the Timeline wasn't just being concerned how GBVG made it harder to justify the Ghostbusters going out of business again in 1991/1992 (per EGB), it was the fact that some elements of IDW's work seemed repetitive in a universe where RGB more or less happened.

Consider: "The Other Side" features the ghost of Al Capone. So did "Ghostbusters Live From Al Capone's Tomb". Which one is "right"?

Or: "Past, Present, Future". A lot of similar things to "X-Mas Marks the Spot".

"What The Samhain Just Happened?" isn't as big a "problem", as the Sam Hain that appeared in that one wasn't the "real" Samhain from the RGB episodes.

Still, I think a lot of your ideas have merit, and are definitely food for thought. I didn't really enjoy dividing up the Omnibus Timeline, but at the time I felt it was for the best for reasons spelled out on those pages. I've been trying to be a little more flexible in the GBI/Ectozone Fan Fic Timeline, with explicit references to the Video Game events and Frank Bancroft (from "Con-Volution") But on the whole, I start to understand how some of the Star Wars Expanded Universe fans felt after the Prequels and the Clone Wars cgi cartoon :lol:
Crazy1van liked this
Trolls will troll, haters will hate. I've heard a little of your own run ins with people that think this is all a huge waste, and I'm thankful for the heads up. I myself had had to put up with a fair amount of this as well, so that will not detour me. Besides I really enjoy trying to sort this all out :D. I hope you don't think that I'm trying to mess with anything you have made, just merely stating my opinions on the subject. I by no means expect you to run off and re-edit the time lines to suit my whims :P.

The ghosts of Christmas: If you noticed the IDW comic was specifically placed as far from X-mas marks the spot as I could get for the reason of allowing the events to not be as fresh with the guys, so it takes them a minute to recognize these ghosts. The fact that Christmas Present was temped to taking on a human host shows that they are not infallible, and they just may not remember the ghostbusters (the people that is, I'm sure they remember getting their butts kicked :P). Since they remember a team of Ghostbusters capturing them, thats why Christmas present was so confident to hire them on. Egon recognizes the Ghost of Christmas past. While discussing the best course of action Ray was drawn in to its power (he seems kinda susceptible to these kinds of things huh? :P ). So then the only course was to trap it, and sort things out later.

I know that in the comic they probably weren't "recognizing" the ghost because they had seen them before, but because of the Dickens' story. Also their trepidation with trapping them isn't because of their past encounter, but because they are the spirit of Christmas themselves. Knowing this but wanting it all to make sense I can read it as if they had encountered them before(suspension of disbelief is a powerful thing :P ). Yes, I know i'm reading to much into things for the explanation, but I don't think its that its a far stretch considering we just accept the fact that the packs in the movies and the cartoons are suppose to be the same, and other similar errors (its all in how you look at it :P).

Al Capone: After looking back at that episode all I can say is you're right, it is a huge error on my part with no obvious explanation. My only statement on that is didn't Samhain get put into containment, but then with no explanation was out again for another appearance and the team didn't even bat an eye about it nor explain how it happened (Please correct me if I'm wrong on that). Does that make it right no, I'm merely pointing out that there are already inconsistencies with already given material, and one mistake shouldn't necessarily split the timelines.

I just prefer if at all possible to keep everything in one timeline, as a RPGer and occasional GM and comic nerd I care a lot for continuity. If properly cataloged it can be a huge help planing things, give proper back stories, and see the flow of the world. If I did have to split the timelines I think I would do it a bit differently than you have, shuffling the comics around a bit mostly, but thats just my own opinion.

I hope you haven't taken offence to any of this, I have a nothing but respect for you, and what you have done. Im also very pleased you even took the time to read my stuff and post. Also I was wondering what your thoughts were regarding the way I handled the evolution of the boys tech in its various components. As well as what you thought of my idea of placing Dana in TVG instead of Ilyssa, and the inclusion of that embarrassing scene from Casper :P.

Geez I gotta stop typing so much. :P
Crazy1van liked this
My only statement on that is didn't Samhain get put into containment, but then with no explanation was out again for another appearance and the team didn't even bat an eye about it nor explain how it happened (Please correct me if I'm wrong on that). Does that make it right no, I'm merely pointing out that there are already inconsistencies with already given material, and one mistake shouldn't necessarily split the timelines
Oh yeah, you are quite right about the Samhain issue.

He broke out in Now's RGB#17, which would be his third appearance, but was contained again at the end. Then in the 3-D Annual, he shows up without a word of explaination. I honestly just sort of pencilled it as being out-of-continuity until I helped Bo Holbrook rewrite All Hell Breaks Loose, when it helped explain how Sam could pop up without blowing up the GBNY ECU again.
I hope you haven't taken offence to any of this,
Not in the slightest. In fact, it's kind of flattering, in a wierd way, that you're one of the few people who thinks I now don't go far enough in putting everything in one continuity. Most of the complaints I've ever gotten, as I noted in the previous post, went in the opposite direction ("Why do you still care about all that cartoon stuff?")
I have a nothing but respect for you, and what you have done. Im also very pleased you even took the time to read my stuff and post. Also I was wondering what your thoughts were regarding the way I handled the evolution of the boys tech in its various components.
TheRazorsEdge, Mick Nielson, and some others have suggested the idea of "All that stuff was experimental anyway, so it's easy to say it doesn't work out". And then of course since the group would be dormant for six years, a combination of even newer tech and the fact that Egon and Roland had to put that stuff together quick could easily explain why none of the GBVG advancements are reflected in the EGB packs. (It becomes a little stickier in fanon, though, explaining why nothing there was followed up on after Ray rejoins GBI and the Mark 4 Proton Pack is introduced; but again, that's all fan continuity anyway)
As well as what you thought of my idea of placing Dana in TVG instead of Ilyssa,
I admit, the more I found out about Ilyssa, the more it seemed obvious she evolved out of a part originally inteded for Dana Barrett. Having Dana be stalked by Shandor would have actually made a lot of sense in light of Dana's posession by Zuul in GB1; good grief, the press .pdf even mentioned Ilyssa playing cello.
and the inclusion of that embarrassing scene from Casper
I still have a lot of trouble "justifying" that one. I have a tough time picturing the "real" Ray running in fear from a three goofy Class 4s like that, even taking into account possible rustiness at the job and malfunctioning equpment, rubs me the wrong way. But I don't go out of my way to say it *didn't* happen, either. (Fun fact: I saw the comic adaptation of Casper a couple years ago. Ray appears for like two panels, and they have him red hair like the animated likeness. I thought about buying it, but then I remembered it was a Casper comic...:lol:)
TheRazorsEdge, Mick Nielson, and some others have suggested the idea of "All that stuff was experimental anyway, so it's easy to say it doesn't work out". And then of course since the group would be dormant for six years, a combination of even newer tech and the fact that Egon and Roland had to put that stuff together quick could easily explain why none of the GBVG advancements are reflected in the EGB packs. (It becomes a little stickier in fanon, though, explaining why nothing there was followed up on after Ray rejoins GBI and the Mark 4 Proton Pack is introduced; but again, that's all fan continuity anyway)
To be honest I kinda look at it like the pack upgrades were reflected somewhat in the EGBs equipment. The more power was a modification of the beam updates such as the boson darts, and what not, but in a more continuous type stream. The new beams drain the packs power quicker than before, hence the use of proton canisters. Also instead of the slime blower, and tank from the old packs, its a built in feature on the gun itself, shown by them sucking up various goo and shooting it at the ghosts(they don't carry slime with them but they can pick it up, maybe they keep some in the Ecto-1 for emergency sliming :P). Certain upgrades may not have been carried over due to the hastiness of their build or they were, and we just never saw them used. The reason the new packs look so different is because both the quickness of the build, and TVG mods were built into them instead of just attached as an after thought or added as an upgrade. Their form followed their function, because Egon doesn't care if its pretty just that it works well. After the team gets up and running Egon is able to focus more on the old packs, perhaps wanting them as back ups, and since the team isn't using them all the time, or at all for that matter, he fixed them up. He was able to basically tear them down and rebuild them from the ground up, but in a proper way, not just additions or hastily built like TVG and EGB packs were. By the time back in the saddle happens he has them upgraded fully, maybe not a strong as the EGB packs but they are more than capable of handling the ghosts. These upgrades also explain why the RGB pack beams look like the EGBs after their initial use. This also gives rise to your idea of the team switching back to the old packs, versatility. Strength of fire power, plus each person can carry a trap too, and of course the old packs don't get drained like the EGB ones do :). I truly can see a way all the equipment evolves over time in a very liner fashion, but thats just my two cents :P.

Oh, and I need to keep my eyes pealed for that casper comic it sounds like it would be something fun just to have around :P. Of course talking about casper, if I were to take this event seriously I would say to look at it from a characters point of view, not the all knowing viewer. The ghostly trio upon first appearing could be frightening, You're alone, P.K.E. Meter picking up 4 class fours, and then they show up , shape shifting, moving objects, and a host of other supernatural powers, on top of that they are smart enough not only to know who you are, but execute a "planned" attack that breaks the the particle thrower(seriously his gun is broke when Ray runs out). Now admittedly one of these class 4s is friendly but you don't know that. Also the film takes place in Maine, and Ray is the only one we see, and he has a mustache, this leads me to believe that It takes place after all of the stuff we've seen yet. Since, if it is in my timeline, it would take place after the game it would have to be closer to when the team broke up. Plus as we hear Egon explain in EGB you should never go ghostbusting alone, so the team must be in some pretty dire straights to send only one ghostbuster way outta state. Thats why I put up there in my "end of the ghostbusters" section that it was the final nail in the coffin. Needing money, Ray takes what should just be an investigation out of state, and gets much more than what he bargained for, and has his butt handed to him. Then again it could be Peter, in order to make a quick buck, allowed the use of the ghostbusters in the Casper movie, and they got Dan Aykroyd to play Ray once again. Taking the embarrassing situation out of the ghostbusters real lives, but keeping it in continuity as movie part. Although I don't like the idea of doing that (feels like a cop out to avoid the ghostbusters from seeming silly,) its has its merits too (Dan Aykroyd played Ray in the movies and he is playing him here as well). Maybe Ray asked him to grow the mustache for the part to make it seem less like him :P. Yet again just my two cents, actually with as long as my messages seem to be running I think it might be safer to say its my ten cents :P.
Sorry of this is a necromantic resurrection of a dead topic, but since the comic book continuity has continued to grow, I feel the topic of a 'unified' timeline is worth revisiting.

What I personally use is a timeline that keeps the stories from RGB more or less intact, but drastically modifies the EGB series to allow for the IDW version of Kylie. The Ghostbusters got their start in 1983, the first movie came out in 1984, and everything in the Classic Timeline happens (though with some of the details changed) up through "Late 1991 or Early 1992"

1991 sees the events of the videogame and the first attempt at an independent franchise, with the Rookie taking is act to Chicago. In 1992 he keeps going even though the buys in New York shut down their operations. Again. The comics identified in the new timeline as taking place before the videogame still happen before the videogame.

Egon accepts a teaching position at New York City Community College and in the Spring he works briefly with Dr. Edward Kirillian. His first semester of Parapsychology 101 is in Summer 92, which only has 2 students (I have my fan fiction choices for who those students were, but that's not important right now). Fall '92 has him teaching Kylie Griffin, Garrett Miller, Roland Jackson, and Eduardo Rivera, which leads to the creation of the Extreme Ghostbusters, who remain active throughout the semester, as students, and stay on in the Spring as interns of the newly reactivated company GBI. Afterwards the EGB go their separate ways except for Kylie, who gets a job at Ray's Occult Book Store. Maybe Miller, Jackson, and Rivera left the area to start up new franchises, maybe their schooling required full-time commitment to their studies, whatever works to remove them from the story; I'd rather not commit to anything about them, but sadly the EctoZone fan fic isn't an option for this timeline.

Almost none of the EGB episodes are taken as accurate; their order has to be juggled, ages and dates have to be ignored, and the existence of the new Mayor is considered a fabrication... but all 40 episodes' stories happened in some form.. Further, Ray, Winston, and Peter stuck around after the reunion in November 1992, but didn't participate in any cases until the intern team broke up.

Summer 1993 is when INFESTATION happens, and the rest of the comics follow along as listed in the New Timeline, but one year later..

I really loved EGB, and I hate doing such a disservice to the series, but this is the only way I see to keep any of it in a timeline with the IDW comics, since Kylie's work with the Ghostbusters doesn't seem to allow for her to become an extreme Ghostbuster years later.
I like your idea of trying to create one continuous timeline.
With all the new research and building/modifying Egon and Ray do during GBTVG, the equipment got much more powerful and much heavier and harder to use so after the events of the game realizing that although very useful its impractical to employ that much tech on their packs on a regular basis.
This actually get's covered in the IDW comics. They state the pack ended up shorting at some point.

What I have to wonder is how do you plan to reconcile the introduction of Kylie as a Ghostbuster in the IDW comics? :kylie:

At the moment my interest would be what sorts fo[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

I know very little about Five Nights at Freddy's […]

Doug Keithley/sponge face/Ghostlab42 made a excell[…]

Did it come out today? Ugh the art is so bad tho[…]