By Alex Newborn
Zack wrote:I thought I got emotional and smiled just when I called the number but putting the visuals with it really tugs at my heart strings...
We had the heart-tugging Annie audio playing live to get the timing down, though I re-synched it slightly in the edit with a less tinny version.

We'd aborted several takes that were flawed for technical reasons, but on the take you see in the finished video, I actually got choked up looking through the lens at Harold and Annie when she speaks about him so sweetly at the very end.
Zack wrote:Also I'd be pissed too if I had been reading the same People magazine for 30 years :D
From the moment I envisioned this video until my 'montage'-style Janine phone was completed was the span of about two weeks. During that time I sketched storyboards like this one several times during down moments at work.

As you can see, my original idea was to put the old People under some more current magazines, but I never did go buy any.

When I was actually dressing the set (which is my son's bedroom desk turned around backwards and some black fabric to hide the window), this idea morphed into tucking the 2014 Pippin Playbill under the older magazines. The corner that is obscured is autographed by Annie Potts.

I forgot to consult this storyboard on the day, so I am slightly mad at myself for leaving out the spindle and the White-Out. Oh well.

I also couldn't find a real nail file, but didn't want to run to the store to buy any. So the nail file is actually two pieces of sandpaper taped together with double-sided tape.

The bottle of nail polish on the desk was a last-minute addition. I had to go buy some for the 'costume', as my wife never wears it. Since it was purchased solely for the shoot, I got extra mileage from that $2 investment by making it a set prop as well.

By the way, my wife is actually six years younger than Annie Potts, so she had the perfect hands for this. I was amazed I finally got her to participate in one of my cosplay projects.

Alex
By Alex Newborn
I'm humbled to report that the Facebook version of this same video has had more than 2000 views today. I might should have only uploaded it to YouTube so I could keep an accurate count of how many viewings it receives.

By the way, I know it's not very clear in the video, but the item she touches when she says 'be a humanitarian' was this...

Alex
Grimmy GB liked this
By gamera1968
That was very nicely done. Loved the details on her desk, too. :)
I almost choked up with the last show of Annie Potts and Harold Ramis n the picture frame.
Alex Newborn liked this
By Mrs. Spengler
This just got me right in the feels. I've been living in a state of denial ever since I heard about Harold's passing. He was my hero in many ways. As a child, he was my favorite Ghostbuster and as an adult when I went to college for my Communications degree because I wanted to write just like him. This just brought it home to me that he's really gone and it's absolutely heartbreaking. RIP Harold :cry:
Alex Newborn liked this
By Alex Newborn
Yep, I was fortunate to have this photo made with Annie on July 8th, 2014 outside the stage door.

Less than two weeks later, she had completed her run with the show, so it was pure serendipity that my trip to NYC fell when it did.

That Pippin playbill is autographed by Annie, on the corner hidden under the magazines. I also had her sign the ticket for that night.

Alex

P.S.
The identical version of this video which I uploaded to my Facebook account had a large surge when I re-shared it for Harold's birthday... about a thousand new views a day for several days.

Last time I checked it was over 13,000 views.
By Annie Melnitz
I was able to meet Annie after Pippin, too! I went during her final week:

As you can see, she signed a photo of Janine that I brought, in addition the playbill I'm holding behind it (but I had the rest of the cast sign that, not just her).
Alex Newborn liked this
By Alex Newborn
One year ago we lost Harold Ramis.

Thought I'd share this again.

Alex
Grimmy GB liked this
By redfive1973
Very cool.
Alex Newborn liked this
By Alex Newborn
One of the things about this video that I was never happy with was the telephone ring. It was hard to get a clean 'ring' from the movie, due to dialogue and soundtrack and ambient noises. I had to slice off part of the only good ring and then loop it.

In hindsight, I wish I had lifted a phone ring from another source... did anyone here ever watch the Rockford Files?

Each episode began with a pan over Rockford's desk-- very similar to what you see in this video-- while you heard Rockford's phone ringing and then a message being left.

And it just so happens that Rockford's phone number was... 555-2368. So it would have been a perfect inside joke.

Alex
By HauntedWallflower
Annie Potts' delivery of the voice message is so powerful, she makes me want to believe that Janine had been crying buckets before recording the message.

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Good morning everyone! I have a local toy collect[…]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]