This is for other Ghostbusters Props that don't fit into the categories above.
So thanks to ramcuda's excellent project where he's re-creating an Aykroyd-style hard hat (http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =7&t=32096) and most importantly, thanks to ramcuda himself pointing out the auction to me, I recently nabbed this Egon-style hard hat.

I won it for the opening bid of $1.99 and had to pay about $6 in shipping. When it arrived, the seller had actually paid $8 to send it to me, so the poor guy didn't make a dime off listing it. In fact, with the seller's fees, he went in the hole.

Anyway, as you can see it's pretty close to the correct shape and style.

But now I want to identify the stickers on it. Anyone had any luck figuring out what they say? I haven't seen the HD version of GB2 yet.

There's a big black sticker in the front with silver-y text, and then two smaller stickers on either side.

Alex
Nice grab on that ... not that anyone ever gets anything good off ebay ...LOL

I would love to know what the stickers are to ......

it may com down to making up what ever wording you want as long as it looks the same in layout .
Alex I'm gonna keep looking but going frame by frame from a version on TV that's recorded...

I get something out of the top lines
PREVENT ELECTRIC SHOCK
REMOVE DISPLAY PERMISSION

now obviously that's not right because it makes no sense but its tough to try and figure out what letters I'm actually seeing and trying to fit words that make sense...

dunno if a few words that are recognizable will give someone a jumping off point. I tried looking up hard hat labels...no clue on the red one!
I would say that just like all the warning labels on the pack, they found a decal that fit that front square area and looked "sciencey". If you could read it I would bet it would make no sense being on a hard hat.
Zack, Alex Newborn liked this
At first look, I think the first two lines say:

RUNWAY VISUAL RANGE
REMOTE DISPLAY PROGRAMMER

Here are the caps I made so you guys can see what you think.
This Post Contains Spoilers
Alex Newborn liked this
Hey, that's some great deciphering you've done there!

I did a search for the six words you think it says, and sure enough, those are real terms in aviation equipment. In a nutshell, here's what I found:

"Runway visual range (RVR), in aviation meteorology, is the distance over which a pilot of an aircraft can see the surface markings delineating the runway or identifying its centre line. RVR is normally expressed in feet or meters."

Elsewhere:

"A full RVR system consists of:
1. Transmissometer projector and related items.
2. Transmissometer receiver (detector) and related items.
3. Analogue recorder.
4. Signal data converter and related items.
5. Remote digital or remote display programmer."

So now we just need to find the sticker off one of these pieces of equipment!

Excellent detective work!

Alex
kevinj319 liked this
Also, the model number is in the middle but I can't make it out in the slightest. I think the last two lines are

(something) SYSTEMS
DIVISION OF (something) CORP.

Helpful, I know.
Alex Newborn liked this
Oh, man, that actually was helpful.

Might it say "Tasker Systems, a division of Whittaker Corporation" ? ;)

Because I just got a hit on that in a fuzzy logic search on Google!

Which means the three tiny words below Whittaker Corporation probably say "Los Angeles California".

Alex
From a PDF: "6.10 TASKER SYSTEMS
Tasker Systems, a division of Whittaker Corporation of Los Angeles,
California, produces RVR instrumentation. Recently Tasker Systems design[ed] a new
system, the RVR 500 which supersedes previous systems. They also have designed
modification kits for the FAA/NBS transmissometers.
6.10.1 RVR SYSTEM MODEL 400
Although the FAA has many RVR 400 systems currently deployed, and they
are still available from Tasker on a special order basis, current and future procurements
are for the RVR 500 systems.
The RVR 400 System provides functions similar to those of the RVR 500
System detailed in the next section. The basis differences are that the RVR 400 is
limited in table selection by having only three day tables and three night tables,
there is no continuous failure monitoring in the 400 systems, and update cycle is
fixed at 48 sec. These units consist of the following:
RVR 400/1 Signal Data Converter
RVR 400/2 Power Supply and Control Unit
RVR400/4P Remote Display Programmer
RVR 400/5 Runway Light Setting Unit
RVR 400/10 Transmissometer System
RVR 400/12T Tower for Transmissometer System.
6-26 6.10.2 RVR SYSTEM MODEL 500
The RVR Series (References 39 and 40) provides improved reliability,
has reduced size and weight, uses integrated circuits (IC), and at the same time
performs more functions that the older RVR 400 equipment.
The new series consists of the following:
RVR 500/1 Computer Main Frame
RVR 500/2 Signal Data Converter Module
RVR 500/3 Ambient Light Sensor
RVR 500/4P Remote Display Programmer
RVR 500/5 Runway Light Setting Unit
RVR 500/10 Transmissometer Systems
RVR 500/12TM Support Tower Assembly, Modified.
For price information, see Subsection 8.2.4.
Some of the new units are detailed below. "

Alex
kevinj319 liked this
Oh, and Kevin... does your HD version of the movie reveal any added detail of the other two stickers that are on the sides?

If not, I thought it might be fun to use Zack's earlier guess for the big sticker of 'prevent electric shock'... although his 'remove display permission' was actually amazingly close to the 'remote display programmer' solution.

Alex
Amazing work being done here! Means either time to get my prescription checked again or next time I'll attempt to look at a better transfer of the movie myself! :D

As Venkman says "Close...but definitely wrong" I can read it clear as day on there from the screenshots you took. Dunno if that's because I know what it actually says now or if I couldn't get it paused that clear frame my frame on the recorded TV version I had on my cable box! :D at one point I thought it might've said something about absorbing shock i.e. the impact of a blow to the head(maybe as a result of not knowing where the phone lines are!) as opposed to an electrical shock.

EDIT: Does it look to anyone else like it's a foil or metallic type label similar to the pack stuff?
Alex Newborn wrote:Oh, and Kevin... does your HD version of the movie reveal any added detail of the other two stickers that are on the sides?
Not a thing. The copy of the movie I am using is 720p. I don't know if there is a higher quality version floating around or not. But on mine, all you see are red rectangles. You can tell there is text on the labels, but it is very low contrast against the red label and there is no way to make anything out.
The hard hat was and is ez... and now i have found a safety vest with to little mods will be dead on ....

So if you run up the sticker I would like one too ....
Hi all! Ramcuda was nice enough to send me an orange vest as a birthday present, and I finally got off my lazy duff and took some pics wearing it with the Egon hardhat, for which I still have not made a sticker yet.

~~~

I also got myself a white Tuf-E hardhat, similar to the ones worn by Ray and Egon at various times in the movie. It will need to be painted yellow, of course, just as the movie prop(s) were.

To fully appreciate this, you should really go and read Ramcuda's thread...

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =7&t=32096

... which is where I got all the info I needed on the various hard hats. As well as...

... the JustRite head lantern.

I was fortunate enough to swing a deal whereby I got the white Tuf-E hardhat from eBay and the JustRite lantern from Etsy, for a grand outlay of about $15.

But, it's always true: you get what you pay for.

Or in this case, be wary of any auction/advertisement that only shows an item from one side.

Because when I opened the box, I discovered that the red plastic battery pack was NOT in mint condition.

One side of it had been spray-painted by a previous owner. (And initials were scraped into it as well.)

I know why this was done, of course. I've seen my Dad slap his name all over his own tools and heard him complain too many times about worksites where his own personal tools had wandered off or just been plain stolen.

But it still didn't make me happy that the seller had played me like that. So be careful. Ask for extra photos if you can. Sigh.

I'm gonna try some solvent on it, so I'll let you know how it goes.

~~~

Thanks to advice from Brock Parker at AlabamaGB.com, I found a really good yellow slicker and some red/orange gloves at my local Home Depot.

You can see where all this is going...

While I was there at Home Depot, I also found some storage containers on clearance. I always need storage containers, but these caught my imagination due to their coloring.

Gee, what does that remind me of? Hmmmm....

So of course, I bought several.

I had a large roll of black duct tape left over from a past project, so I measured the angle of the stripes on the Mattel Ghost Trap (45 degrees) and did a quick-and-fun mod.

And now I have a cool set of containers for storing/stacking/transporting my Ghostbusters gear.

Stay tuned for more progress on my hardhat-with-lantern, and thanks again to Ramcuda and Brock for the great info!

Alex
drjameshouse, Kingpin, Ecto-Fire and 2 others liked this
Good news, the spray-paint came right off with some Goof Off!

By the way, I already had the four D-cell batteries that this requires; they were included with the 2-for-$2 flashlights from Wal-Mart which I cannibalized for reflectors for my cyclotron.

Alex
I took the liner out of the white Tuf-E hard hat and cleaned the hardhat itself.

Hit it with some yellow Krylon which I matched as best I could to my yellow Egon-style hardhat...

Did the interior first...

And then the top surface just as the sun was going down...

It will need another coat, though.

I've also taken apart the wiring in the battery pack...

... in preparation for drilling some holes in the hardhat and running the wires through it.

Still haven't modified the lamp yet either.

Alex
ProtonCharger liked this
Okay, so this Krylon flakes off of the hardhat at the slightest touch. There's no way I'm going to be able to keep it solid yellow, so I might as well embrace the exposed white material look as seen on Aykroyd's hardhat in the film.

So I took some sandpaper to it in very random movements in the approximate locations of the paint chips seen on the real prop.

Drilled a hole in the front:

And threaded in the detached wires of the headlamp.

Hooked them back up to the battery pack and did a quick test to see if I had everything reconnected correctly.

Still need to modify the headlamp's bracket so I can permanently attach it to the hardhat, and then I'll probably hot-glue the wires to the inside curve of the hardhat.

I thought about just duct-taping them in, but I don't want the adhesive of the tape yanking my hair out when I remove the hardhat.

Also, I need some hints on finding or making this fun little mason-jar-on-a-belt-clip device Ray has in the movie...

Alex
Had some time to work on my hardhat. After stripping the first paint job I re-sprayed it, then waited about a week before handling it.

Modified the bracket of the JustRite headlamp.

Drilled the holes in the hardhat... just like the movie prop makers, I accidentally got one hole in the wrong place, but mine is mostly hidden under the bracket.

I added some acorn nuts (which sounds redundant, no?) to the inside to keep things from being lethal if I bump into a door facing.

I hotglued the cord to the inside of the hardhat...

And reattached the liner.

Then it was just a matter of reconnecting the wires to the battery pack, and it was done!

Alex

Hard to tell if it’s an actual black fligh[…]

Matty PKE Question...URGENT

Good morning everyone! I have a local toy colle[…]

Positron Props GB1 Pack Build

Awesome!! Good luck on your build! Tom's shell i[…]

Trailer posted for release for the Frozen Empire u[…]