This is for other Ghostbusters Props that don't fit into the categories above.
By jason407
I recently got a 3D printer and have been testing/playing with it.
I looked around for a 3D model of a Lifegard since I don't yet have one of those...but couldn't find one anywhere.
So, I spent the time and mocked one up myself in 3D, based on photos and basic measurements I found in the forums.

Then the long, slow printing process begins. Took about 3hrs I think.

It turned out pretty good in my opinion! I am still learning all the settings and this one I had them a little off, but it is easily salvageable with a little love.

I may have gone a little heavy on the weathering, but I'm ok with that as it helps sell that it's authentic. ;)

I just created a belt clip in the design. I know it's not accurate.

Overall, it was a successful test...and I love my new printer! :)
alphabeta001 liked this
By Borzou
Willing to share the file?
By Alex Newborn
The design of your clip is going to make it ride very low on your belt compared to a real one. The real clip cinches the belt down at the bottom of the Lifegard, making it sit with its base at the lower edge of the belt and the top much higher than the belt.

You may want to check out this thread for some good images of how the original clip works and how to make a fake one from coat hanger wire...

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =7&t=39079

Aside from the placement of the clip, yours is an extremely convincing recreation.

Alex
By jason407
Alex Newborn wrote:The design of your clip is going to make it ride very low on your belt compared to a real one. The real clip cinches the belt down at the bottom of the Lifegard, making it sit with its base at the lower edge of the belt and the top much higher than the belt.

You may want to check out this thread for some good images of how the original clip works and how to make a fake one from coat hanger wire...

Aside from the placement of the clip, yours is an extremely convincing recreation.

Alex
Funny, I saw some of those threads after I had designed/printed it and considered redoing it...I think I will survive for now. In reality, there isn't even room on my belt for it right now.

But yes, whenever I get around to doing a 2.0 version, I will probably attempt to recreate the back and mounting more accurately.

Thanks Alex!
Alex Newborn liked this
By jason407
Borzou wrote:Willing to share the file?
Here is the file...for anyone with a 3d printer.
Link:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:943444
LandoSystem, Borzou liked this
By LandoSystem
I have a Folger 2020 i3 kit on the way. Looks pretty intimidating but I cant wait to start printing.
By jason407
LandoSystem wrote:I have a Folger 2020 i3 kit on the way. Looks pretty intimidating but I cant wait to start printing.
Yeah, I debated going with a kit, but like you said...they look intimidating.
I can say that there is a lot of tweaking, leveling, and stuff involved. I am still learning what all the millions of settings and things do. I am sure your kit will be great...just don't expect to be up and running right away. ;) That looks like a great deal though!
By ieatmousetraps
Okay- I've always wanted a 3D printer. But now I want one even more. >.<
By dronein7g
jason407 wrote:
Alex Newborn wrote:The design of your clip is going to make it ride very low on your belt compared to a real one. The real clip cinches the belt down at the bottom of the Lifegard, making it sit with its base at the lower edge of the belt and the top much higher than the belt.

Alex
Funny, I saw some of those threads after I had designed/printed it and considered redoing it...I think I will survive for now. In reality, there isn't even room on my belt for it right now.

But yes, whenever I get around to doing a 2.0 version, I will probably attempt to recreate the back and mounting more accurately.

Thanks Alex!
I want to buy one of these.... unpainted of course. How much would you sell one for?
ieatmousetraps liked this

Sugarland Express.Very early Spielberg movie,it's […]

Also probably different release dates. USA[…]

I like the camo tint. This is the one tint I would[…]

Ghostbusters Day 2024

Even if Frozen Empire somehow made a billion dolla[…]