This is for other Ghostbusters Props that don't fit into the categories above.
This topic will be about the back story on the terror dog head and the process of fixing it up and making a new mold to make castings, but first lets start with where it came from.

Back story on the head

Over a year ago I was on Ebay and noticed an auction for a life sized terror dog head from the movie mold. As you would guess I was amazed, excited, but at the same time I also questioned it authenticity . I messaged the seller and he suggested we talk on the phone. He was and older gentlemen and he did ask that I not use his name so we will call him the Seller . We talked on the phone for about an hour as he told me the story on how he aquired the head . He said that almost 20 years ago when Boss Films went out of business they auctioned everything off and one of those auction lots was bought by a company named Lexington Scenery in Sun Valley CA. He inquired they worked with scenery for theme parks like Universal Studios . In that auction lot Lexington bought what was chemicals of some kind and a bunch of plaster molds. The company had no use for the molds so out to the dumpster they went, but luckily the seller and a friend had went dumpster diving and found the original plaster mold of the terror dog head. As for the horn molds he said that they could not find them as some of the molds were broken and miss matched, he did tell me he did find some batman molds, but this was the big find in his eyes. He made 3 castings from the mold, 2 flex cast heads ( both of which he sold on Ebay ) and the master fiberglass copy that he planed to use to make a new silicon mold to make and sell castings. Sadly that never happened and the head was left outside at his parents house where it sat for almost 20 years until he decide to sell it on Ebay.

Now as amazing as that story is I'm was a little doubtful until I compared it to pictures of the terror dog head seen in the movie. I scrolled and searched the internet for any visible evidence I could find and after stock piling as many pictures as I could I started comparing wrinkles on the beak , chin and brow. At this point I was very much convinced that this was from the original mold . My proof was even further supported after the Ghostcorps office displayed their terror dog head and some friends of mine that had visited there sent me some better up-close pictures that I am happy to share with you!!!

Now on to the restoration of the head. After getting the head in the mail I had a lot of work to do to get it fixed if i planned to make some castings. To start there was a very bad seamline running right down the middle of the face, plus there was a few small cracks more than likely from the demolding process of the plaster molds. On a side note the plaster mold was sadly destroyed when the Seller was demolding the fiberglass head. Here are a few pics of the head before I started the restoration process and a pic of me holding it so that you can get a visualize of its true size.

On another side note this head may have also been used to make the prop head Rick Moranis wears at the end of the movie yelling, "Help, somebody turn on the lights", but don't quote me on that I have yet to check to see if the head matches, but as you can see it goes over my head very easily

I started with that awful seam line on the beak. I drew lines with a pen to follow each valley of each wrinkle on both sides of the beak. After a little filing and sanding to the old dried up filler, the seller had used to start fixing the head, I was ready to start filling . I used Apoxy sculpt as I have lots of time to work with it and it sculpts great and after a few hours it gets nice and hard.

After that was done I sprayed it with some primer.

Ill be posting more on the terror dog head later this week.
Last edited by Kingpin on February 16th, 2016, 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed image coding
Alex Newborn, CaptCyan, Smeghead and 3 others liked this
I saw this post last night, right after seeing some of the pics you put on Facebook, but the pictures were just links at the time, so I wanted to wait about making a reply so you would still have a chance to edit the post.

I find this item very exciting, as Mike already knows. We've been chatting about it on FB (and we also got freaked out to realize he not only shares the name as my brother-in-law, they have the same birthday as well!) and I've been enjoying the progress pics.

This was the first time I realized how large it is, though! Glad you included pics with yourself in the shot for scale.

I can't wait to see how it all turns out.

Alex
This is a super cool project. I picked up the urethane foam head a few years ago. It'll be tempting to have a Vinz to go along with my Zuul, haha!

For the record, the artist that ran the casts from the BOSS molds spoke with the artist that sculpted the originals, former Disney Imagineer Terri Hardin. Terri confirmed it was the real deal. There are some pretty cool shots of Terri sculpting the original clay head floating around. Hardin has had a pretty interesting career... check her out!

From what I've been told, a few full scale heads were mounted a'la hunting trophies as crew gifts. Ivan Reitman got one, as well as Richard Edlund. That MAY have been it.

Does anyone have detail shots showing the plaque on the display? Just curious.

Urethane foam head- 2014

Ivan Reitman's TD head, currently at Ghost Corps

Vintage photo from GB production offices from Peter Mosen

Richard Edlund's TD head in his home, probably 2014-2015

Terri Hardin
    Greetings

http://i.imgur.com/1kB7fOZ.jpg

I love that people are still making these packs. I[…]

For the legacy shell, what aspects are damage that[…]

At the moment my interest would be what sorts fo[…]