This is for other Ghostbusters Props that don't fit into the categories above.
http://www.gbfans.com/equipment/other/p ... camcorder/

"This type of camera did not actually record the image, and had to be connected via cable to a separate portable VCR, which was slung off the opposite shoulder in a carrying case. The operating instructions for a PK-750 list a PV-3000 as one possible compatible unit. "- Alex Newborn

So I after a great deal of searching I finally found the correct Portable VCR used in both the Library scene and the "we're ready to believe you" commercial. The model used was :
Quasar Portable VCR Model Number VP5410TE

This was a tremendous challenge as almost everyone who might own this is not likely to take the time to list such and old, weird VCR on eBay. Narrowing the search was near impossible because even the description on gbfans equipment page was unsure of what was used. If someone did list the vcr, it is not likely to be under "portable" because I don't think many people know that was even a thing, furthermore all vcr's are "vintage" now and without knowing the manufacturer of the VCR it meant searching through every possible vcr listing online (and there are a lot) and re-searching every few days through new postings for a longer than I care to think about until I got lucky.

It appears for the movie they may have blacked out the Quasar logo in the lower right hand corner (sponsorship conflict?) This unit is even heavier than it looks weighing in at 17 pounds without the hefty 12 volt battery and probably closer to 25 pounds with it (to give you a frame of reference a cinder-block weighs 28 pounds). I would hope for filming the scenes that much of the internals were removed to make this thing less punishing on ones shoulder.

The one I found is obviously in rough shape, been beaten up, had tape labels on it, seen spills, scratches, and unknown abuse for 30 + years and is sadly missing it's strap. I am already working on remaking the strap, please let me know if you know where to find that style of strap hook up as I will likely have to machine it from scratch.

So now the question is: do I leave the rare item as is, or do I restore the outer shell and scoop out all the unnecessary internals and take it to cons?

I would love to hear your thoughts.
Alex Newborn, KoCo, barison82 and 1 others liked this
I've had a similar one for years, it's way too heavy for a casual costume and the general public doesn't know it has anything to do with the movie. It's one of those things that's technically rare but only because no one cares. It comes down to "do what makes you happy".
So two votes for restoration sounds like a plan. Thank you for the input.
jackdoud wrote: It's one of those things that's technically rare but only because no one cares. ".
Ok, I get what you're saying, most people don't care about Ghostbusters that much outside of proton packs and flight suits. I get that it's just an old VCR, but there are equipment pages for every other piece of equipment in the "We're ready to believe you" commercial and I have found that to be a tremendous resource. Many, like myself and probably you too, have searched for years to get a collection of those more obscure items from the films so I was excited to break new ground and help others like myself who might care in their search. I mean this is GBfans who else am I suppose to tell this to?
Alex Newborn liked this
Great find! And another search term goes into my eBay followed searches.

I vote for gutting the thing. Sitting on a shelf intact isn't going to be nearly as satisfying as wearing it for cosplay, and I know from my Panasonic unit how punishing these things can be when worn for events. I bruised a shoulder once with the strap!

Alex
delta88 wrote:Was able to score a Quasar VH5300SE portable VCR. Only difference seems to be the camera remote button. Can't wait to gut it.

That is awesome!! congrats on snagging a very hard to find item. I would love to see pictures of yours.
CPU64 wrote:I'm the kind of person who likes to restore and get things working again, hearing about gutting vintage equipment is not for me :)

ah ok, that makes more sense then, if it makes you feel any better mine is still in working condition (except the battery of course)
CPU64 liked this
If it's possible, would you be willing to get all the measurements, and possibly scan labels?
This way, prop builders could build accurate replicas, and we could print more labels and such. Cause eventually these things will all be in the garbage, and what will we do then?
EctoPrimer wrote:If it's possible, would you be willing to get all the measurements, and possibly scan labels?
This way, prop builders could build accurate replicas, and we could print more labels and such. Cause eventually these things will all be in the garbage, and what will we do then?
Yes of course I am willing to do that. As an obscure prop hunter and builder the lack of these details on movie props has always made things 10 times harder than they needs to be, I am happy to share. As I have done with The sniffer, the trs-80 cassette interface, and other items.

However what you are asking is a few hours (probably 4 or 5) of work to fully document and I have a lot going on right now build wise. So I may hold off on that arduous (probably thankless) task until someone specifically states they are fully intent to replicate this beast at that level of loving detail. When they do I will be happily to work with them to bring it to life. and post everything here.
CPU64 wrote:I'm the kind of person who likes to restore and get things working again, hearing about gutting vintage equipment is not for me :)
Sorry CPU64, normally I would leave it alone. But it's so heavy. Even with the battery out. Tech has come a long way from the 80's. It even broke the first shoulder strap I tried on it. Did I mention its also really heavy.

Ryan I'll have to remind my self on how to post pictures here.
Well it took from March 2016 until November 2017, but finally one of the Quasars listed earlier in this thread popped up on eBay. I made 'followed searches' on both model numbers, but only the VH5300SE appeared so far. I made an offer and the seller accepted it.

Alas, it's missing the strap, but maybe I'll get lucky and find something that will work.

It's always oddly satisfying to connect an item you've owned for a few years to another vintage piece.

Btw, if you listen carefully in the film, when Murray is talking to Jennifer about being a legitimate phenomenon, the loose end of the camera's plug is apparently trailing the ground as Aykroyd bustles about getting together his equipment to take to the library. It makes a very recognizable ringing/rolling sound.

While going through a folder of my GB1 reference pics on Facebook, I saw where I had asked if anyone ever positively ID'ed the shoulder-slung VCR seen in the "you've earned it" shot.

I posted that question in 2012. No one ever replied, but I happily answered it myself just now.

Any ideas on a strap replacement?

Alex
Last edited by Alex Newborn on December 9th, 2017, 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alex Newborn wrote:Image

Alas, it's missing the strap, but maybe I'll get lucky and find something that will work.

So it's been a little over a month since I said that. Apparently the universe was just waiting for a little birthday luck to help me out.

On the morning of my 48th birthday, ANOTHER Quasar VH5300SE comes up for auction.

I got an email alert, clicked on the link, skimmed the pics... whoa, it has a strap!

Can't really make out much detail from the pics, but the attachments seem to be correct.

What the heck, I figure. I'll gamble on it and put in a lowball bid.

Seller accepts. Yesterday, a very heavy parcel arrived, containing a second Quasar VCR, a second tuner, a non-movie-accurate Quasar videocamera from the era, and...

... one gorgeously accurate-looking Stantz Strap!

Plus, the second VCR came with the battery.

First one's a pristine beaut, second is a real beater, so I may keep one as the 'hero' and gut the other as a lighter 'cosplay' piece.

Anyway, thank so much to OP "Ryan the Ghostbuster" and "delta88" for IDing the possible Quasar VCRs in this thread, because without that info, I certainly never could have found this perfect strap.

I think its accuracy proves almost certainly that the Quasar is the movie-correct brand.

Alex
It's a real vintage Gloverall from the UK. I have the green one in two sizes.

I talked about them at the start of this video...

In the revised photo, my son is wearing the slightly smaller one. We tried it with the larger one first, but I wasn't happy with the outcome. So yesterday was a snow day, and we got a little stir crazy and took some more pics.

Alex
    Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

It could have been more accurate (barrel and[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]