This is for other Ghostbusters Props that don't fit into the categories above.
By Lee FW
Currently building my partner a set of ghost/proton grenades and bandolier (until funds permit a pack!)

As both Holtzman and Yates have two vastly different designs we decided we'd opt for our own custom design too, kinda an evolution on the two into something less cobbled together with a little more of an OGB/RGB vibe (partly because the thought of her walking around in public with wires and a timer strapped to her chest terrifies me!)

In the meantime pulled together some reference as a jumping off point as would still like to build some accurate ones at some point down the line also.

YATES GHOST GRENADE

HOLZMANN GHOST GRENADE

Holtzmanns was vastly more difficult to pull up good images for and don't remember ever seeing them that clearly in the movie either although if anyone gets the chance to go to Madame Tussauds it would be the ideal opportunity to get some decent pics as it looks like she has one on her desk.

Here's a few from the concept artist including discarded designs which I thought were pretty cool also

BELT/BANDOLIER

Note : The grey webbing on Yates' belt is possibly black on Holtzmann.

Clearest image of the belt I could find (sorry!)

IDW/RGB PROTON GRENADE

here's a few bonus images from the IDW comic (I think it was originally in an RGB episode though) which we may take some inspiration from also

I'll update with pics as I go and in the meantime hope these pics inspire a few builds also :love:
Last edited by Lee FW on July 26th, 2016, 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glad to see some one else working on these, yes Holtzmans are definitely elusive but she has all the best stuff, I have decent idea of the shape but still can't figure out exactly how it is lighted (like what parts light up and what parts do not). Be careful with Madame Tussauds they do great work but there are definitely liberties taken with the gear. The lights are off in the stay puft scene but it may offer a good view once the blue rays come out. Image
This definitely on my list of gear from the film to make but like you I worry about how it will be received in public with these very bomb looking things I keep thinking of a person I know who was out in full gear with his new proton pack at a Halloween party and was tackled to the ground by police smashing his pack because they thought that it was a bomb, ironically never hassled the guy dressed as rambo with a toy gun painted all black.
Lee FW liked this
By Lee FW
I think the Tussauds kit is production used but some of it is stunt gear by the looks of things. One of the pics from when it was being set up still showed labels on her arm trap gadget listing it as "stunt" and I may be wrong but looked to be cast from P.U rubber. So yup, I'd be wary about details being a little softer in places.

here's a slightly better look...can't wait for some good pics!

From this pic above and the one below it looks to consist of 3 cylinders made up of push fit plastic plumbing pieces and light up tubes of red liquid. There's a central piece running down the middle with a red detonator button on the bottom

Edit: In some pics it looks to be 3 cylinders in some 5

Lee FW wrote:I think the Tussauds kit is production used but some of it is stunt gear by the looks of things. One of the pics from when it was being set up still showed labels on her arm trap gadget listing it as "stunt" and I may be wrong but looked to be cast from P.U rubber.
I had not considered they were production made items re-purposed for the display but that makes since, little sad as those rare items will now have a very rough life being handled by the public but at least they are not locked away where we can not see them. I just knew the packs were confusingly off , like many details look great like they had really done their research but some parts are glaringly wrong so perhaps changes were made to accommodate lighting for the display or something or it a style of stunt pack we had not seen . Where can you find the photo of them setting it up?
Good observations on the grenades thank you for posting your thoughts.
Lee FW liked this
By Lee FW
Ryan The Ghostbuster wrote: Where can you find the photo of them setting it up?
just by chance on getty, can I hell as like find them again, sadly never saved link. Here's the full sized link of the one I did save from elsewhere with the grenade and an assortment of props before they were set up (note stunt label on gadget)

https://fsmedia.imgix.net/bd/e6/7d/1e/c ... hance&q=75

I think the LED countdown timer has been removed from this grenade.
MightyAni liked this
Good morning Lee FW,

In your post, did you say you had made one version of the grenades:

If so, would you be willing to share your parts list and source of materials?

Thanks
Have a good day :^)
propmaster2000

The LED section is separate it's an enclosed box with screw on back with a small channel for the wires to come out of the side then you can just wrap them down around the box then up like the wires on the prop. I just put it up against the model to show. I need to test print it first, the plunger button at the top has small knobs that go into guides to stop it falling out and the safety pin cylinder has twist bottom again with small knobs and guides.

I don't know how sturdy they will be when 3D printed.
Lee FW liked this
By LandoSystem
I could test print one and let you know how it turns out.
I have a low end davinci so if it prints for me it should for just about anyone.
These are all good responses :^)

I am hoping Lee FW will chime in with his build:

by Lee FW » July 25th, 2016, 2:40 pm
Currently building my partner a set of ghost/proton grenades and bandolier (until funds permit a pack!)

As both Holtzman and Yates have two vastly different designs we decided we'd opt for our own custom design too, kinda an evolution on the two into something less cobbled together with a little more of an OGB/RGB vibe (partly because the thought of her walking around in public with wires and a timer strapped to her chest terrifies me!)

In the meantime pulled together some reference as a jumping off point as would still like to build some accurate ones at some point down the line also.

The one above looks like it is fairly accurate to the real prop.

By MightyAni
It is a very, very good point that in our post-9/11 world, whether a prop looks like an explosive device or not should certainly be taken into consideration when putting together a cosplay outfit.

While I would love to make some Ghostbusting Grenades, I think the risk of their being mistaken for real explosives is too high for me.
TheLegendOfMart wrote:Image
The LED section is separate it's an enclosed box with screw on back with a small channel for the wires to come out of the side then you can just wrap them down around the box then up like the wires on the prop. I just put it up against the model to show. I need to test print it first, the plunger button at the top has small knobs that go into guides to stop it falling out and the safety pin cylinder has twist bottom again with small knobs and guides.

I don't know how sturdy they will be when 3D printed.
I am just hoping for a good base form to work from, doesn't need to be sturdy, I can fix all of that I will probably not print a lot of it anyway. I would be using your work (when/if available) as a blue print of sorts So i look forward to it's availability in any form so i can get started.
MightyAni wrote:It is a very, very good point that in our post-9/11 world, whether a prop looks like an explosive device or not should certainly be taken into consideration when putting together a cosplay outfit.

While I would love to make some Ghostbusting Grenades, I think the risk of their being mistaken for real explosives is too high for me.
i agree not a smart cosplay accessory, but for me I really just want this on my shelf in the collection, to show to friends and fans.
By LandoSystem
That was my first thought when I saw them in the movie. "Those things will get you shot."

Same with Rowan's devices. They look so much like IED's they would be hard to transport comfortably.

I like the visual of the glowing bandoliers but I've never liked the idea of a ghost grenade. The Ghostbusters are like janitors or exterminators, not paramilitary combatants. But that's just me.

I'd like to adapt that look to include power cells or something instead of bombs.
Ryan The Ghostbuster wrote: I am just hoping for a good base form to work from, doesn't need to be sturdy, I can fix all of that I will probably not print a lot of it anyway. I would be using your work (when/if available) as a blue print of sorts So i look forward to it's availability in any form so i can get started.
I need to change something on the LCD box and add a few holes to the main body then I can release them here. I'm working on the ghost trap at the minute as I didn't know if the grenade would be popular enough. I'll try and get to it soon.
By Lee FW
propmaster2000 wrote:Good morning Lee FW,

In your post, did you say you had made one version of the grenades:

If so, would you be willing to share your parts list and source of materials?

Thanks
Have a good day :^)
propmaster2000

I haven't yet made a screen accurate version, the risk of them being mistaken for actual grenades is too high (although will eventually have some just for my shelf) In the meantime I am playing around with some pieces to make something in-between the RGB universe and the movies. I'll have some pics up by end of day :)
Thanks Ryan The Ghostbuster ,

I know the accuracy isn't 100%.
It's just that I don't have a lot of build materials available to me,
so I end up "doing the best I can with what I do have" (my motto).
I am doing this the old school way, on my bench in my shop with as much research
materials as I can on the net and using pictures (No drawings or measurements).
Good lighting, skilled hands and patience.:-|
Have a good afternoon.
propmaster2000 wrote:Thanks Ryan The Ghostbuster ,

I know the accuracy isn't 100%.
It's just that I don't have a lot of build materials available to me,
so I end up "doing the best I can with what I do have" (my motto).
I am doing this the old school way, on my bench in my shop with as much research
materials as I can on the net and using pictures (No drawings or measurements).
Good lighting, skilled hands and patience.:-|
Have a good afternoon.
I highly doubt on display anyone would notice any inaccuracies except you, this looks very good and you are one of the first to build it, which is an major accomplishment and a bragging right in and of itself.. you're breaking ground which is much much harder than following suit. I have made many things (nearly all the hard way) and would really freak out over everything that didn't come out perfectly accurate until one day a at a convention friend pointed out "Most people don't care, and have no way of knowing it isn't perfect unless they are carrying around pictures of the real thing in their back pocket..which they are not."
I think there is this perception by some that Ghostbusters builders are super strict anal accuracy nuts.. and hey some are, but that is because they have had 30+ years to build and rebuild the same few props so nitpicking the subtle microscopic details is all they have left after so much has been done. It is a new world now with new props that we are all just trying to figure out, so keep leading the charge, keep posting, and and keep up the good work.
By Lee FW
propmaster2000 wrote:Now comes the fun part.....
Wiring the 3 - 7 seg. displays, adding the timer start button and 12v battery.
Run a few colored wires and a solid coil wire to finish it off.

Thanks for looking :^)
Fantastic work, definitely looks the part, any discrepancies I'm sure nobody will notice.

with all the best intentions I'm so far behind on mine (12 hours a day making a living propping leaves no time for leisurely propping!)

If you ever considered casting I'd be very interested in taking a few.
By propmaster2000
Well, this is it.
Ghostbusters-3 (2016)
Yates Ghostbusters Grenade "close approximation" replica prop

For not having any measured drawings and just blurry images to go by,
I think it turned out OK.
It will be a nice addition to my prop building collection.

Thank you everyone for watching my progress :^)

propmaster2000

Ryan The Ghostbuster, Kingpin, MonaLS and 1 others liked this
By propmaster2000
Thanks MonaLS ,

For me building props the "old school " way takes a bit longer and very time consuming to
find and/or create the parts by hand. It gives me a sense of accomplishment when completed.
Most of the parts of this prop were fabricated or modified in some fashion.
Since this is the case, I most likely won't be doing another.
It was more for the challenge and to sees what I could come up with....
I used to build props for a living (17 years) and now I do it only as a hobby and sometimes
clients.
Many things have changed since I started back in 98......
Have a good day and thanks again :^)

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]