Discuss the Ghostbusters Comic from IDW, as well as the now defunct Ghostbusters: Legion series.
By Erik Burnham
It wasn't a talking dog in the sense of the cartoon. It would have been a normal dog, possessed by the ghost and speaking once before escaping (issue cliffhanger) and returning to hide and possess Venkman.

It would have leaned toward the creepy side of creepy/comedic. (:
By mrmichaelt
I think it could have worked. But only if they let Erik put in a marijuana joke or two also. Even if it's only Venkman going "What are those losers smoking, anyway?" :lol:
Perhaps. I think a similar homage was done on The Venture Bros. but I can't recall what season. It's been years since I watched any of the series.
It wasn't a talking dog in the sense of the cartoon. It would have been a normal dog, possessed by the ghost and speaking once before escaping (issue cliffhanger) and returning to hide and possess Venkman.

It would have leaned toward the creepy side of creepy/comedic. (:
I found possessed Scotty creepier than the idea of a possessed dog. It's not that I doubt your writing abilities, but I was just never a big fan of Scooby-Doo.
By Fritz
Fritz Babbles About Ghostbusters #8
We start off with what seems like a routine bust at a nursing home. It's the kind of case that ABC wouldn't let the Ghostbusters take--they shied away from any mention of ghosts that were dead people, and with an exception or two (ie Al Capone in "Partners In Slime") they were all monstrous and extradimensional. Class 5 and 7 entities, if you will.

Well, not this time--it's actually a somewhat sympathetic old lady who goes off the deep end when Egon and Winston say they're not her son--she's not on the Other Side because he never came to visit her. Then things get a bit scary--remember how Slimer was hard to catch way back in #1-2? Yeah. It happens again with the old lady. Egon can't take his hands off the thrower to set the trap--fortunately, Ray and Venkman show up just in time for Ray to finish the job.

Winston is a little sad ("If her son had shown up, she'd a been at peace."), Venkman continues criticizing the decor, and Egon is brooding: with Idulnas gone, this PKE surge shouldn't be happening.

But it is. Ray asks why. And then Egon Spengler says the one thing you don't want Egon Spengler saying: "I don't know"

Intent on finding out, Egon works himself raw with little sleep over the next three days (fortunately, his "polyphasic schedule" is helping). Winston and Venkman are concerned--and, in one of Dan Schoening's many call-backs to the cartoons, they do so while wearing pajamas seen in the show. Finally admitting he's at a dead end, Egon goes to the gym at Delgado's Gym (You'll recall it's next to the Casey J's, who's bouncer you really really don't want to mess with), and he steps out just in time for most of the entire Melnitz family to come strolling by. Mom, Dad, sister Doris, Brother (in law?), Grandma, and Janine herself, of course. Everybody but her nephew Victor, it looks like.

Oh, yeah. And Roger.

Way back in #1, we found out Janine was dating some guy named "Roger" off-camera. A few odd theories went around--a popular one was that "Roger" was just Egon using an assumed name to keep what they were doing secret from Venkman and the others because Venkman would tease them--but this issue we finally meet the guy.

I really hate to sound like I'm gloating, but Ghostdiva and I almost called it:

http://www.ectozone.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... 4199#p4199
(I even thought they might make him look more like RGB Egon for kicks.)
Since you said it, yeah, that's the theory I had that's still seems possible..
Well, okay, it was Extreme Ghostbusters Egon instead of Real Ghostbusters Egon, which does sort of match the assumed time frame (sometime post-1992 to as late as ~1994/1995; he even wears a "New York University" sweater, which is one of the names given to the place Egon worked between RGB and EGB), but I still did a little fist pump. Roger's automatically far more Janine's type than Louis Tully ever was. What's up with his name, though? Why did Erik Burnham name him after former Washington Redskins quarterback Sammy Baugh? Is he an athlete or something?*

Er...anyway...

Egon's so stressed and raw from the whole paranormal situation I like to think him blurting out "I don't have time for this" has multiple meanings. After he's been "snippy" and written a book that seems to have made Janine "aggressive" he ducks out of the potential conflict--I just hear LaMarche saying that "I don't have time for this" line in the same tone of voice he used to say "And what's that? Your jalopy?" in "Robo Buster". (Actually, Maurice LaMarche, in my head, voices two of the three characters in that scene) Janine's basically dating his fetch. I mean, that's gotta creep him out.

And then it hits him: it was at this corner he saw that mysterious somebody three issues ago. It was a friend of his named Eugene Visitor, who died when he was hit by a car nearly twenty years ago--then literally vanished. Egon muses that it was one of the incidents that awakened his interest in the paranormal (I still like to think one of the other "several incidents" he alludes to was a giant headed corporeal Class 7 living in his closet and scaring the crap out of him when he was a kid.)

Egon scans again. He seems to find something, and I doubt it has anything to do with Ray Cougar (who's standing at the crosswalk with a few other in-jokes Mrmichealt will point out on GBFans) and goes back to GBCentral, declaring "I need to get to New Jersey!" Venkman continues a long tradition in the cartoon of not missing the opportunity to make fun of the Garden State ("I don't think anyone really needs to get to Jersey") Before explaining any further, Egon hops in the ECTO-1 and drives to Belleville, New Jersey. Alone.

Egon finds Eugene's father there, and sure enough, there's Eugene. This is our month for cutesy nicknames, isn't it? Roger calls Janine "Twinkle" while Eugene calls Egon "Eeg". Which has got to be less demeaning than "Spookums", but Eugene isn't Egon's mother, either.

Eugene is not a lot like Egon--he looks more like a football player than a guy who hanged around with a physics prodigy, but then again, the cartoon at least suggested Venkman was also a football player in his college days. (If I had to voice cast Eugene, I'd probably pick Rob Paulsen, Maurice LaMarche's co-star from "Pinky and the Brain" :lol: ) Eugene explains what happened: when he got hit by the car, he saw a vision of Death itself. Remembering an old Russian folk tale, he orders the spirit of Death to get into his bag; he's had Death in his bag every since, but it's disjointed him in time.

Egon's horrified by the implications of this. While it hasn't stopped people from dying (if nobody died anywhere between c-1973-1992, I think we'd notice) Egon realizes it's probably a spirit that syphons abnormal levels of PKE from the Earth plane's ectosphere. Without that syphoning, PKE builds up. Which is bad.

Egon tries to grab the sack and open it, but it doesn't work--Eugene is the only one can open it. Eugene doesn't care what Egon thinks--because if he lets "Death" out he's, well, dead; besides, he thinks Egon aught to thank him because it has to be good for the Ghostbusting business, right? "Yeah, except for that whole 'The proton guns stop working on them they're so overcharged' thing, sure."

Having had a long day full of setbacks of both personal and professional natures, Egon slinks off in defeat. It's a problem he can't solve. Yet.

Tristan Jones expands on the legend Eugene mentions in his backup story, which also features the first in-story appearance of John Horace Tobin. Other than the somewhat gratuitous Vigo name drop, it's a fascinating tale. It's not a complete swipe of the Tobin created by the GBI Tobin's Spirit Guide module (JH looks a little skinnier and hardier than in the GBI artwork, and there's no mention of Tobin's longtime partner Shrewsbury Smith) but it's still neat to see JH make it into a story at last, and t-rex's moody artwork complements the story perfectly.

*--Well, duh, of course I know where he really got that name. I get a huge kick out of the vast irony of it: name Egon's new rival after one of Egon's biggest fans. :) I eagarly await seeing other characters named after Ghostheads. Maybe the new "Ghost Busters' team that Ron "Jake Kong" Alexander is former will be similarly named. Let's go Ghost Busters! Larry Benjamin!!! Curly Quick!!! Shemp Stewart!!! Moe Holbrook!!! :lol:
This Post Contains Spoilers
See you next month for the road trip!
By mrmichaelt
Egon's so stressed and raw from the whole paranormal situation I like to think him blurting out "I don't have time for this" has multiple meanings. After he's been "snippy" and written a book that seems to have made Janine "aggressive" he ducks out of the potential conflict--
It's possible Burnham's messing with us and maybe when Egon's back his body clock is back to normal and the world isn't doomed from a catastrophic build up of psychokinetic energy, he might lead this subplot in another direction.
Eugene is not a lot like Egon--he looks more like a football player than a guy who hanged around with a physics prodigy, but then again, the cartoon at least suggested Venkman was also a football player in his college days.
Ha ha, yeah, that one reminds of Ray's line in "The Hole in the Wall Gang."
Egon realizes it's probably a spirit that syphons abnormal levels of PKE from the Earth plane's ectosphere. Without that syphoning, PKE builds up. Which is bad.
Makes you wonder if the spirit is released and goes back to its M.O., would the Ghostbusters run out of business? Or would Idulnas make another run at them? Or are there other entities that have picked up the slack since the 70s but have suddenly ...given up the ghost?

Also, the occasional Vigo cameos are starting to make me a little nervous considering Burnham did say he drops in some foreshadowing of future arcs ever so often (i.e. a Fantastic Land advert in Issue #3).
I eagarly await seeing other characters named after Ghostheads.
Hmm, you could be on to something there, Fritz.
By mrmichaelt
One I didn't catch myself, and not on mrmichealt's Easter Egg list: Cliff Roswell posted this on the SPT board:
Flashback Egon is Russel Ziskey from "Stripes" (giant 'fro and all),
Neat, that get up and look sorta seemed like it was from something. Have to re-watch Stripes. I noticed Mr. Schoening is getting tougher with his easter eggs, in this case doing more clothes cameos.

joezlo on the IDW forums pointed out on page 20, I think, there's a portrait in Mr. Visitor's house of the three Ghost Actors from "Lights, Camera, Haunting!" (so they got two cameos in the issue) and Mr. Visitor looks to be visually based on Mr. Tummell from "You Can't Take It With You."
By mrmichaelt
Tristan Jones posted a teaser of his Issue #12 cover with more than a couple familiar faces. Can't wait until he posts it to DA.
Kylie
Ray's Occult badge
S-Grundel
E-Ecto-Clones from part 1 of the season finale?
A=Crainiac of the Vathek
T-Piper?
L-Luko
Bermuda Triangle swallowing Seattle
Eduardo, Roland, and Garrett in the newspaper clipping?!
This Post Contains Spoilers
Wonder what the title of the arc starting with #13 will be called... "Slightly Less Haunted America"? :walterpeck:
By Scottb
It's probably been said but I just realized the other day, one of the Variants for issue 6(I think) has the guys standing against a wall in black and white. That's totally the cover of the Ramones first album. That is pretty awesome in my opinion. Need to get a copy of that.
By Scottb
Well, it is awesome. I was re-reading the series up to date a few days ago and just kept staring at it. I couldn't put my finger on it. I was working on a customer at work and just blurted out "the Ramones!". People thought I was crazy, and the explanation didn't help my cause either.
By Kingpin
Couple of extra references:

Page 11 - Ned Ryerson from Groundhog Day is stood at the crosswalk.
Page 11 - MJN Studios from Lights, Cameras, Haunting! features on the billboard atop the taxi.
Page 12 - There's a yellow monster of some sort on the can beneath the Killer Watt product.
Page 16 - Blue moose-like ghost on the kitchen counter, probably the "puppet" one mentioned above.
By mrmichaelt
There are a lot of music references, as well. The newspaper article may or may not be one of my favourite bands.
Stone Temple Pilots?
Page 11 - Ned Ryerson from Groundhog Day is stood at the crosswalk.
Yeah, real cool to see Tobolowsky, he really is in everything!
Page 11 - MJN Studios from Lights, Cameras, Haunting! features on the billboard atop the taxi.
Nice! Guess there will always be something on those taxi ads.
Page 12 - There's a yellow monster of some sort on the can beneath the Killer Watt product.
I recognize it but can't remember the name. It is incredibly annoying when this happens. The Messanger of Kahlil from EGB's "Casting the Rune"?
Page 16 - Blue moose-like ghost on the kitchen counter, probably the "puppet" one mentioned above.
Yeah, I was trying to I.D. that one for weeks. It's one of the ghosts from "The Hole in the Wall Gang" episode, in particular, it was on Egon's head.
By Kingpin
The Messanger of Kahlil from EGB's "Casting the Rune"?
Not likely, as the messenger was red instead of yellow.
By mrmichaelt
As usually Tristan Jones dropped tantalizing info on his Twitter account
1) His cover for #13 is based on part from the Extreme Ghostbusters intro, and he has posted a work in progress: TRexJones #1

2) His cover for #14 is based on the second intro for The Real Ghostbusters: TRexJones #2

3) His cover for #15 is based on the pan up from the original intro for The Real Ghostbusters: TRexJones #3

Please just take all my money away. :)
By Kingpin
Don't suppose you could repost them here? I'm not a Twitter follower, so the second two links homaging The Real Ghostbusters are locked out to me due to not having an account.
By mrmichaelt
You seem to have missed that that was FIL BARLOW I was talking to there as well! Great guy and a huge inspiration.
...Mother puss bucket! I totally missed that. Your awesome WIP for #13 totally blinded me. I'm totally digging his DA account and assorted stories about EGB.
Don't suppose you could repost them here? I'm not a Twitter follower, so the second two links homaging The Real Ghostbusters are locked out to me due to not having an account.
Neither do I but here you go
Ghostbusters #13 cover WIP http://instagr.am/p/KomWABiftc/
(filbarlow)Looks like you're going to redraw the entire XGB series starting from the intro
Yeah, issues 13, 14, and 15 are all going to be redo's of the cartoon intros. #14 will be from the second RGB intro, and #15
(and #15) will be the pan up from the original RGB opening
By Josh Foote
I just read Issue #8 last week, and must say I loved it!

I can't wait to see the new variants for the new comics. I have loved all of the covers thus far. (And the series too!)
By GhstbstrLMLIII
I was wondering about that because it wasn't listed on Bedrock City Comics or Graham Cracker comics lists for next week. So far they haven't missed the month of release, so I'm ok with it. I just hope that Houston isn't delayed with its shipments by a week like it was for #8. (Not a single shop down here got number 8 on time.)
By Erik Burnham
Like I said, it sounds like it was a truck accident that delayed those #8s.

In other news, I don't know if there are any Midwesterners on here planning on hitting the Minnesota Spring Con this weekend, but it's my local show, so I don't miss it. If anyone from here shows up, please, drop by my table and say hello! (Or my panel on Saturday!)

Okay, back to writing...
By mrmichaelt
Tristan Jones' unlettered covers for Issue #12 and #13 were posted today. Caution: total badassery.

1) Issue #12 cover

Ah, so that's the band Jones was talking about. A little surprised it got cleared for the cover.

2) Issue #13 cover

Luis Delgado really moves raising the bar with each issue. The colors are freakin' AMAZING.
By Kingpin
Tristan Jones' unlettered covers for Issue #12 and #13 were posted today. Caution: total badassery.
ditto on that, they're some of Tristan's best work yet.
By mrmichaelt
Tristan Jones started a Tumblr page to act as a gallery for all 250 sketch covers for Issue #9. The first five have been posted so far (All Star Comics and four for Graham Cracker Comics). Swift idea and they're looking great. So far cameos of shop worker/owners, Captain Jack Higgins and his crew, Slimer, and a certain band...

Ghostbusters #9 Tumblr

And the fourth arc (starting with Issue #13) will have only A and B covers, according to Mr. Delgado.
GBFans Shop Feedback

Love the EXTREMELY fast shipping. Quality is alwa[…]

I've been frustrated with this, it's been getting […]

Issue with Power Cell lights

The sound board is what "connects" the w[…]

Ghostbusters in Tri-Cities ,WA

Thanks I appreciate that.