Discuss the Ghostbusters Comic from IDW, as well as the now defunct Ghostbusters: Legion series.
i was given volume 1 of the idw series for Christmas the one with the blues brothers cameo and while i loved it i felt i was missing plot points

so i want to ask is there any tpb i should pick up that came before this. i've looked at wiki both normal and gb but i think the multiple series, publishers and art styles are confusing me

any help will be appreciated
I picked up the omnibus which had a few stories and holiday collections. I'm waiting for "total containment" in March which has the first 16 issues of the ongoing series in a nice collection, I think it may also be hardback if I remember correctly. Amazon has it for around $40
I think you might want to pick up Ghostbusters Infestation 1 & 2. I believe that is the big event that is in the same continuity of The Ongoing comic so far. Some of the PCOC files make references to the events in Displaced Agression, but nothing has been brought up in the story to cause confusion. I hope this Helps. : ) :):)
Sounds like you're starting at the right point to me. Most of the Ongoing series that are coming out in TPB are self-contained and don't throw back or hinge too much to the other stories from previous years. If you were interested in looking at some of the pre-ongoing series stuff just for fun: Everything but "The Other Side".
Pretty much what Nonagon said. The comic references the two movies and sprinkles of the video game with little nods here and there to previous one shots and mini-series. They aren't vital to the on going, however, but I would recommend picking them up at some point...

Except, as Nonagon stated, "The Other Side". That was just... a bad story to put it mildly.
My own two cents on the most "important" pre-ongoing stuff:

"Haunted Holidays" as mentioned. "What the Samhain Just Happened?" and the Thanksgiving story were illustrated by Dan Schoening, the regular artist of the ongoing. "Tainted Love", the Valentine special, is by a completely different creative team but is notable as the first appearance of Tiyah Clarke, Winston's now-fiance

And "Ghostbusters: Infestation", which is by the ongoing series' writer Erik Burnham. It's by a different artist, but is a pretty good lead-in to the ongoing series in ways.

But as others have said, everything is good (with "The Other Side" being...the least good) but none of it is "necessary".
Thanks for asking this question and all the input; I am in the same boat and really want to start reading the IDW Ongoing Series. Everything I have seen on the GB Wiki regarding all the uniquely detailed cameos and continuity leads me to believe THIS is the comic we've been waiting for since the 88MPH series flopped.
JA Slow wrote:Thanks for asking this question and all the input; I am in the same boat and really want to start reading the IDW Ongoing Series. Everything I have seen on the GB Wiki regarding all the uniquely detailed cameos and continuity leads me to believe THIS is the comic we've been waiting for since the 88MPH series flopped.
I agree with AJ, the Ghostbusters: Total Containment hardcover coming March 5th sounds like an ideal purchase for you. It contains all of Volume One of IDW's ongoing series (#1-16). Price wise, MSRP is $50 but on Amazon (where it does release 2 weeks later) is around $35 right now.

Also, sorry I can’t answer the question, but[…]

There's some fun dialogue TV-edits, a replacement[…]

Thanks The_Y33TER ! Confirmation there's no elect[…]

A little sneak preview of one of the bedrock parts[…]