Discuss the content of pages on the site, as well as figure out how to properly format pages you are editing.
By AJ Quick
The reference section hasn't been updated for like.. a few years. In that time I have gain access to probably thousands of images. The LA Firehouse, Screenused Packs, and the Ecto-1. This one is definitely going to be all on me.. but I want to make the Reference Section bigger.

This is going to require a complete re-write of the Reference Section.. but I want to get it done because of the reference YOU guys have. So lets start brain storming how you want the reference section setup. What features do you want? And more importantly.. what do you have to contribute?
By 69428scj
One thing I had suggested was adding plans to the reference section, much like plans for the packs and traps. Stuff like the roof rack, sniffer tower, radar dish and arrow, A/C box. Other plans would be placement of the whip antennae, blue hose clamps gray hose clamp, roof rack placement etc... that I have that will be posting soon.
By Fifthrider
I'm not so sure about putting packs and traps in here. It's fine if you guys want to but personally I always thought that sort of thing stayed in GBfans under the appropriate places for prop building. ( I am aware that these references you speak of are your own and maybe this would be the interest in keeping them here. )

Merge the two sections? Nah. The forum is a great place for discussion and comment, the Wiki should be the definitive place changed only when there's a need. For example, the strobe used on the rack is the strobe. There isn't much room for discussion about it, just list the make and model number and add any new discoveries found. However, on a forum I could talk about how it's discontinued and offer my input on how to build your own from existing Whelen parts with minimal fabrication. There's no room for that blather on a wiki but on a forum it's perfect.
By Fifthrider
I did indeed misunderestimate what you said. (LOL)

Looking over the wiki it seems we have two entries for the lightbars and two for the federal siren. Nix one of each.

We need an entry for the Texas Instruments airfield weather box that goes on the rack.

Loren would have more accurate info for the bumper strobes, and as of lately that's putting it lightly ( lucky SOB )

I can probably do one for the half dome to include the only known supplier of said domes.

We need measurements on each and every rack item ( the rack, the weather antenna rod and dome, the half-dome blase plate with arrow, the guns, the a/c fan box, etc. )

I think I can dig up the supplier of those heat sinks on the front of the rack.

There is no known part make/model for the plumbers tube so it has to be made. We need a section for scratch making those.

Ricky's the resident oxy tank expert.

Sean's got a mold for the oxy tanks as well as the weather dome for on top of the antenna arm but I'm not sure if it's in usable condition for making more copies.

Guns are scratch built so any wiki would pretty much just be a how-to on scratch building. Thiago is probably the most knowledgeable about that.

I could post plenty about the pack racks having made one for myself and one for Sean to pretty much match the studio's appearance. Actual measurements off of the real Ecto would be good and I think Thiago did that one as well.

I never could ID the computer in the backseat but I found a very similar model at work and donated it to Sean's car. It's in there right now.
By 69428scj
Here are some sketches from a dear friend of ours, perhaps these can be CADed?

http://www.ajquick.com/props/ecto-roof-rack.pdf is AJ's roof rack, but I want to caveat that it's slightly off. The overall length is 74" and 55" in between the bases

For the Ladder:

1" square steel tubing

5ft tall

11" space between the steps, so 1ft top-to-top

Bars at the top that connect to the roof rack side are 11 1/2" long, with a triangular piece of steel welding the ladder to these railings 4 1/4" long at the bottom of the triangle.

The ladder attaches to the roof rack via the 11 1/2" long square tubes. These tubes have a 1" wide by about 1 3/4" long plate welded to each end with a bolt that goes through it and the roof rack to attach it.

The bottom of the ladder has a "U" shaped flat bar, bent to fit the inside of the outer tubing. It's welded onto the ladder 2 1/2" below the 2nd to last step and goes in 1" or so to the body of the car and attaches via two bolts through the sheet metal of the car itself.

I also have a pdf of the fan box, but it doesn't look like I can attach it :( I hope this will be enough to get the "plans" section off the ground!
By gb4ever
I have the 1959 manual in a series of JPEG files, but I can compile them into a PDF file if wanted. The 1960 supplemental I have a hard copy that I was going to scan much like I did with my 1959. It is somewhere around my apartment here, just haven't quite found out where yet.
By gb4ever
69428scj wrote:
For the Ladder:

1" square steel tubing

5ft tall

11" space between the steps, so 1ft top-to-top

Bars at the top that connect to the roof rack side are 11 1/2" long, with a triangular piece of steel welding the ladder to these railings 4 1/4" long at the bottom of the triangle.

The ladder attaches to the roof rack via the 11 1/2" long square tubes. These tubes have a 1" wide by about 1 3/4" long plate welded to each end with a bolt that goes through it and the roof rack to attach it.

The bottom of the ladder has a "U" shaped flat bar, bent to fit the inside of the outer tubing. It's welded onto the ladder 2 1/2" below the 2nd to last step and goes in 1" or so to the body of the car and attaches via two bolts through the sheet metal of the car itself.
What is the overall width of the Ladder? It looks like 1ft, but I would rather be safe than sorry..
By gb4ever
Fan Box:

L x W x H
19" x 16 1/2" x 9 5/8"

Hole is 12" in Diameter

Fan blades are 4.5" long by 3.25" wide and 1/16" thick

Misc. measurements:

The "leg" bars bent to hold the fan in place:

3/8" OD rod

Front legs are 3 3/4" from front side, and 1 1/4" from left/right sides

First bend, going inwards towards fan, occurs 2 3/4" up from the box

Length of bar before upwards bend to hold fan is 7" exactly

Fan:

The piece itself is a spinner motor, or "blower motor", or whatever else it goes by. They're the same motor used for windshield wipers in cars, etc.

This one specifically on the Ecto-1 is 4" tall by 3" wide

The "clamp" the bars are welded to and hold the fan in place is 1 1/2" wide
By 69428scj
I wish I did. It was one of those measurements I took for granted as being there already. So, is anyone gonna start putting these into CAD or are we going to let this area languish because not a lot of activity is going on here? This needs to be a team effort in establishing this section. MOAR CONTRIBUTION!
By gb4ever
Does anyone have the measurements of the placement of the roof Rack and the Lightbars....

The Deck Lights are as follows...

Front
From the side of the roof gutter measure towards the center 10.5"
From the front of the windshield seam measure back 8.25"

Rear
From the side rain gutters of the roof = measure 13.75" towards the center
From the rear rain gutter lip = measure 7.25" towards the front of the car
By gb4ever
Measurement on the original plan was taken inside of the legs. So you add the extra 2 inches for the beam than extends into the legs and you get an overall measurement 74"... So the 55 is measures from outside end to outside end of main base correct instead of the 55 from inside to inside?
By gb4ever
I do have one question about the ladder... it is 5 feet overall, made with 1" Square Tubing... Each step has 11" in between. However after you add everything up you get 5ft 1in (61").... instead of 60. Is one of the sections smaller than the others?

Do we have a measurement for where the Ladder attaches to the roof rack? And measurements of where everything is positioned on the roof.

I will work on measurement sheets for the rest of the components. Do my part to help get the Reference Section up.

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]