Discuss the content of pages on the site, as well as figure out how to properly format pages you are editing.
For clarification (I know things can get muddled in text) I am not trying to flame the OP, only trying to get us all on the same level regarding the issues popping up in this thread.
RoboTrap wrote:
  • Highly selective discussion of other members points.
... If you hadn't been around here for so long, I'd assume you were trolling
Cyland Props wrote:Actually I've been around for far longer than you think, starting out on Ghostbusters Homepage web board back in 1995-96ish....
Exactly what I'm talking about. Of all the things in my post you chose to respond to, it was a single comment remarking that you've been here long enough to make me doubt that you're trolling. One of the primary reasons why this thread has gone the route it has.
Cyland Props wrote:To be honest I'm not sure who came up with the term Tripod Traps but it started way back on that Ghostbusters Homepage web board, it might have been me who knows? So if I did I'm changing it. End of story.
Congrats? Changing the name you personally refer to the devices with is no cause for your reactions.

The Cinefex article for RoboCop 2 referred to the titular creature as "RoboCop 2", "The Monster" and the "The Cain Monster". If we were as slavish to the Cinefex descrip as you are, we'd be calling RoboCop 2 the Cain Monster.

Do you know what we in the RC fandom call it? RoboCain. Why? It's not official. It doesn't even work within the context of the universe. But it'd be damn confusing to start talking about the character RoboCop 2, and have people thinking you're talking about the movie RoboCop 2, and vice versa. It works because it's a descriptive name, and there's absolutely no doubt what you're talking about. Anybody who starts calling RoboCain the "Cain Monster" is going to get a lot of strange looks.

What you've been attempting to do is introduce new terminology where none is needed, on the basis that it is somehow a more "official" description when there's much more evidence in support of other alternate names. If you cannot see the problems people are having with both the basis of what you are doing and the way you're going about it, I simply don't know what to say beyond this.
I guess it's just something I'm used to, I've been told that I have a high IQ and have a hard time communicating with people of lesser IQ . I also get a bit irked when people don't understand and I have to dumb things down.

I know back when I posted what the booster frame was made from years ago I pretty much got shouted down and now it's pretty much common knowlege. Or back when I posted what the Psycho Kinetic Energy meter, a very long name abbreviated to PKE, was built from, again I got people telling me that there was no way that that's what the prop was built from because they just didn't see it. Again it's now pretty common knowlege. How about the Ecto Goggles? Again people looked at the prop and said no way. That pretty much happened with every single prop I've outted. Most recent would have been the square Clippard fitting on the Ion arm. Pretty much the same old dismiss, then all of a sudden, hey that's what they used?!?

I treat these props as my babies, one of the reasons why I actually hunted down the PKE meter and documented it. I also went and photographed the tripods and hunted down the parts. Why? So I could build them. I feel as though I own them because I spent so much time with them.

I'm just looking to make this site a little more professional, other than slapping caution tape everything and declairing it a trap. That would be like calling every white car an Ectomoblie
I completely understand what you mean. I've been trying for a very long time, to no avail, to get people to stop referring to a part of the RoboSuit as the "diaper". Every time I've mentioned the part, I've called them briefs, yet people still call it the diaper. It's been pretty frustrating, as the same people will also interchangeably refer to both parts of the lower arm as either the "lower arm" or the "arm cuff", neglecting the fact that they're referring to two separate pieces as though they're one in the same. And then the endless claims of Bruce Hansing's suit's pedigree. I've spent years trying to tell people the issues, and it wasn't until just a few months ago that it finally began to click in most people's heads that the man is a con artist who should never touch a rattle can or pint of resin ever again.

In the last decade, I've only ever met three people online I can have a proper conversation with regarding the RoboCop suit: the original Bottin shop painter, a RoboCop 2/3 RoboTeam member responsible for suit maintenance, and the man who's spent the last couple of years cleaning up unused Bottin casts for replica suits/statues. Beyond that, it's like trying to carry on a conversation about evolution with a Young-Earth Creationist.

So yes, I empathize. And I'm sorry if I had any part in making you feel like you had to jump on the offensive. My intention was anything but.
Cyland Props wrote:I guess it's just something I'm used to, I've been told that I have a high IQ and have a hard time communicating with people of lesser IQ . I also get a bit irked when people don't understand and I have to dumb things down.
So you are telling me you suffer from Asperger's Syndrome? You have developed language skills but have absolutely no social skills? Your issue has nothing to do with levels of "IQ". Your problem is that you THINK it has to do with you being at a different level then everyone else. I feel you might be correct but not in the direction you are toting yourself.

I too have been around since the ASAP days and you act like you made all these great discoveries. There are only 2 things I remember you doing: you rented the PKE meter and you bought a Redman Scrubber 'N' Buffer. That's it. And you were not forth coming with that information. In fact you withhold a ton of information, wait for someone else to make the discovery then play the "I already knew that" card. Every discovery I've seen in this community has been just that, a community effort. Laying claim to so many things you might have been a part of just reinforces your "problem" as earlier stated in this post.
Cyland Props wrote:I've been told that I have a high IQ and have a hard time communicating with people of lesser IQ .
Brent, just do yourself a massive favour and stop digging the hole any deeper than it's already been dug.

You've presented your case but it's not compelling enough to make people swing away from calling them "Tripod Traps".
Cyland Props wrote:I've been told that I have a high IQ and have a hard time communicating with people of lesser IQ .
Kingpin wrote:Brent, just do yourself a massive favour and stop digging the hole any deeper than it's already been dug.

You've presented your case but it's not compelling enough to make people swing away from calling them "Tripod Traps".
I agree with Kingpin, you are done proving the point when you say things like that. Calling everyone a "lesser IQ" sets up either a flame war, or a repeated trashing and belittling event, which is not healthy. Pull hands away from keyboard and take a walk/drive somewhere.
Brent, despite what you may think I do appreciate what you have done for the community. There have been many times I and others I've seen have wanted to have a conversation with you both publicly and privately about a prop as you do have some of the best information. Pretty much every public attempt I've seen has failed so either everyone else has a problem, or it's you. It's safe to say that if you didn't have such good information many people here wouldn't want to have anything do to with you. I think you need to re-evaluate your self importance.
Guys. You are forgetting something very important here.

Cyland Props found almost all of the found parts used on the Ghostbusters Props first. Seriously. He found the Iona, Redman, Resistors, Fittings, Wires, Clippards, etc... FIRST!

Of course... he didn't tell anyone until someone else also discovered them... then swooped in to take credit....
mburkit wrote:
Cyland Props wrote:I guess it's just something I'm used to, I've been told that I have a high IQ and have a hard time communicating with people of lesser IQ . I also get a bit irked when people don't understand and I have to dumb things down.
So you are telling me you suffer from Asperger's Syndrome? You have developed language skills but have absolutely no social skills? Your issue has nothing to do with levels of "IQ". Your problem is that you THINK it has to do with you being at a different level then everyone else. I feel you might be correct but not in the direction you are toting yourself.
Would you kindly get the hell out of my head?

But yeah, pretty much what everyone here is saying. I respect you for your props, you spend a lot of time and effort. But the idea that you can't communicate with us because of a higher IQ? The notion is perposterous, and wildly arrogant. Both are not characteristics of a higher IQ, especially when the topic of discussion is a fictional universe.
Calm down, Wally Wick.

And if we're going to pull the IQ card, maybe I should throw my hat into the ring. (And then retrieve it before your organ grinder monkey steals it.)

I'm just surprised you didn't claim to know what the correct GB2 toaster was when I finally figured it out.
AJ Quick wrote:Guys. You are forgetting something very important here.

Cyland Props found almost all of the found parts used on the Ghostbusters Props first. Seriously. He found the Iona, Redman, Resistors, Fittings, Wires, Clippards, etc... FIRST!

Of course... he didn't tell anyone until someone else also discovered them... then swooped in to take credit....

OOOh.... see what the master baiter did there he now calls into question that I actually found that stuff and disclosed it to the community without actually denigning that I did, that way it really does make everyone think that I didn't find it. To be honest I don't expect AJ to know who found this stuff because he was pretty much a new comer to Ghostbusters on the internet and all this stuff had already been found.
ChapterMasterTu'Shan wrote:I'm just surprised you didn't claim to know what the correct GB2 toaster was when I finally figured it out.

Why would I , it's a toaster.
My two cents;

Brent, you've been nothing but courteous to me when we've discussed some of the more esoteric props (GB2 belts, Monitor 4, etc.). I, along with many others, know that you have good information in certain areas and respect you for that. However, you can come off as a bit rude at times.

Whether you actually "withhold insider information" , I really can't say. The point is that the information belongs to the community as a whole. It really doesn't matter who discovered what first. We just need to respect each other and appreciate what we all contribute to the GB fandom.

We mustn't take ourselves too seriously - in the end, we're just a bunch of geeks obsessing over a comedy from the 80s...

As for the whole "Psychic Disturbance Neutralizer" thing, just let it go; it really doesn't matter what we call it. The term "Tripod Trap" is here to stay. Why not use that energy to do a really nice write-up of the props in the Equipment section (since you have good photos and have had some hands-on time with the props)?
Cyland Props wrote:
AJ Quick wrote:Guys. You are forgetting something very important here.

OOOh.... see what the master baiter did there he now calls into question that I actually found that stuff and disclosed it to the community without actually denigning that I did, that way it really does make everyone think that I didn't find it. To be honest I don't expect AJ to know who found this stuff because he was pretty much a new comer to Ghostbusters on the internet and all this stuff had already been found.
Which is interesting... because by your own admission of how long you've been around for, is the same amount of time I have been around. Its kind of like you think I'm the only one who feels this way, even though its been mentioned by other people in this thread already.

I seem to recall a really good example from recent history.

The Redman Scrubber Buffer. Someone found it and posted pictures, but couldn't figure out what it was or who made it. Meanwhile you told everyone that it WAS NOT based off that item and was completely scratch built. Meanwhile you spent your time hunting for it, because you knew it was the real item. You figured out what it was, but declared you would not tell anyone what it was until you had one in your possession. Later someone else found it and told everyone... then you came out and told everyone what it was.

You don't want anyone to know anything about anything. Unless its something that you can hold over others..
Wow. I missed this first line when I responded.
Empathy revoked, dude. You really think the reason nobody was joining your team was because your arguments were too high-brow? Well, how about parading your high IQ about when you misspell "article" 15 times on the previous page? Or your complete inability to respond to a direct and valid criticism to the "evidence" you produced?

Don't spout lines about being more intelligent than the rest of us when this thread is a monument to the complete opposite.
AJ Quick wrote:I seem to recall a really good example from recent history.

The Redman Scrubber Buffer. Someone found it and posted pictures, but couldn't figure out what it was or who made it. Meanwhile you told everyone that it WAS NOT based off that item and was completely scratch built. Meanwhile you spent your time hunting for it, because you knew it was the real item. You figured out what it was, but declared you would not tell anyone what it was until you had one in your possession. Later someone else found it and told everyone... then you came out and told everyone what it was.

And there you go again, it was proven that with in hours of that post in which the person posted a scrubber manufactured by Southbury MFG, that I congratulated the person on finding the base. I was told by the one of the two people who built the original prop that he believed that the thing was completely scratch built, he did the electronics not the body. I came across the Redman Scrub And Buffer and told at least one other person. At the time I was working on props for what would have been GB3 and need a second scrubber to build a second Gigameter as back up . The movie eventually got dropped so I never needed the second Gigameter. As for the person finding the Redman on e-bay, he never posted what it was, because he was withholding information and after I won the auction, I posted what it was.

Get the story correct.

The thread can be found here, before AJ deletes it:

http://www.proptopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=294

Pitch forks all around.
Cyland Props wrote:The thread can be found here, before AJ deletes it:

http://www.proptopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=294

Pitch forks all around.
Poor whiddle Brent.

I found it amusing that people were taking jabs at you, yet you seem think think I'm the only one who has ever felt the way I do about you withholding information. The link you posted is no different. You withheld the information until the last possible second. Usually you post it right after someone else has done it, but in this case you knew the information was imminent... so you posted. Congrats.
AJ Quick wrote:Poor whiddle Brent.

I found it amusing that people were taking jabs at you, yet you seem think think I'm the only one who has ever felt the way I do about you withholding information. The link you posted is no different. You withheld the information until the last possible second. Usually you post it right after someone else has done it, but in this case you knew the information was imminent... so you posted. Congrats.

See, bitter to the end. Just going after the head and perhaps the body will die.

I posted the reason, you know the reason but you still distort the truth to feed your lie. Poor whiddle sad boy indeed. And if you lie about that incident what is there left for people to believe you about the others?
I kinda see the "twisting information"....sorta.... but what's this lie AJ's supposedly spreading? Far as I can see what he's saying is true. It's a shame the original ASAP thread doesn't exist anymore so we could see that side of it. I recall when the buffer was found back in the day but not specifics.
Ron Daniels wrote:Again, I refer you back to my point; Dan Aykroyd calls the cyclotron and surrounding parts a "Psychotron Accelerator." Are you insisting that we adopt that name as well?
I really don't think that's fair, as it's pretty clear Dan misspoke or was misquoted.

As for the devices at hand, "Psychic Disturbance Neutralizer" is a far more accurate description, or even "PKE disruptor" as the tripods seem to be predecessors to the devices that appeared in GB:TVG. Of course, all of that assumes that we completely discount tradition, ego, and butthurted-ness, which at this point seems to be where the focus of this thread has shifted.

At any rate, "Tripod trap" isn't a great name, as this device has nothing to do with a trap, but that's what people have been calling them forever so it will probably stick.
Ron Daniels wrote: I'll buy the misquoting and misstating in one instance, but not two.

So tell me again why it is not a "fair" question.
Because it is diverting away from the question at hand, it adds nothing to the debate, and it only seeks to derail.

The discussion at hand has to do with the misnamed "tripod traps" and whether or not a new name would be better, and that's all. But it seems to have devolved now anyway.
kevinj319 wrote:The discussion at hand has to do with the misnamed "tripod traps" and whether or not a new name would be better, and that's all. But it seems to have devolved now anyway.
Because we've already answered that question and others have popped up.

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]