Talk about the your favorite Ghostbusters Collectibles from Mattel, Kenner, and more.
Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you talented people could make me some proton packs for my Kenner RGB figures :whatever::cool::blush::sigh::eyeroll::vinzclortho: . I'd basically like just a casting of the actual packs that came with the figures but with a custom, more true to the cartoon, thrower. I have packs to work from if need be.

Any takers?

PM me with a concept or maybe even a slightly different idea and we can talk turkey :)

-Vinny
Last edited by Vincenzo330 on August 12th, 2010, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
By CaptCyan
I've been in contact with Vinny and offered to give it a go. I have already done part of the work. For those of you who don't know, it started with a rack full of packs I made to go inside a Kenner Ecto-1.

They are solid resin, including the "hose" to the thrower, so I have to deconstruct the work on the origional and start over with a newv design idea.

Vinny had told me there were clips on the backs of the packs. The packs I got off ebay had none, so he sent me one as an example. You can see the stress marks at the bottom of the clips. If I were to duplicate these, they would end up snapping off like the origionals.

What I came up with were a "leather" lace to use for the hose and Neodymium magnets to hold the packs to the figures.

Off comes the putty "hose" and styrene handle. I inserted a brad into one of the holes in the side where the "hose" was attached. I redrilled and fitted a bit of 4 penny nail into the back to attach the new handle to.

A new piece of styrene tube that is just large enough for a figure to hold goes on the back.

I file the grips into it and fit the lace into the rear of the handle.

I cut a short piece of styrene tube with a diameter a bit smaller that the hole in the back of the figures. Flare one end and glue one of the magnets into it.

The flared end keeps it from falling inside of the figures.

To test out the holding power, I taped a magnet to a pack.

And stuck the pack on the back of a figure. Now that I know it will hold with no problem, I can imbed a magnet in each one I cast so it will be flush with the back of the pack..

Neodymium magnets are very strong for their size, so the pack will not fall off by itself.

This is as far as the project has gotten. Progress pics will be added as they happen. Please add comments or questions.
alphabeta001 liked this
By Vincenzo330
Everything is looking AWESOME so far!!!! Feel free to operate on the pink pack I sent you, these will be replacing it :lol:

I was thinking maybe after you make the cutout for the magnet to sit in you could fill in all the gaps on the back of the pack so that it's all one smooth surface.

Also do you think there's a way to have the hose enter the pack on the bottom rather than in the middle of the cyclotron? I don't really know a good way to keep it in the pack without the knot that usually gets tied in the middle of the pack.

My one final suggestion would be to dremel off those clips that jut out the side of the pack, they were only there to hold on the old thrower.

This is already shaping up to be a great build. I think a lot of people will want these once they are finished. It's a stellar upgrade to those old RGB figures. You Sir, are a trend setter :cool:
By CaptCyan
Vincenzo330 wrote:Everything is looking AWESOME so far!!!! Feel free to operate on the pink pack I sent you, these will be replacing it :lol:

I was thinking maybe after you make the cutout for the magnet to sit in you could fill in all the gaps on the back of the pack so that it's all one smooth surface.

Also do you think there's a way to have the hose enter the pack on the bottom rather than in the middle of the cyclotron? I don't really know a good way to keep it in the pack without the knot that usually gets tied in the middle of the pack.

My one final suggestion would be to dremel off those clips that jut out the side of the pack, they were only there to hold on the old thrower.

:cool:
No need to touch the pink pack, I have about 3 of them. The trouble was that none had the clips on the back And I needed to know they origionaly went on the figures.

The backs of the packs are already smooth. When I cast the new ones, I will embed the magnet right in the resin so the backs will sit flush against the figures.

Hose in the bottom should be no trouble, do you want it to come out where the bump is or off to the right? I plan to embed the hose in the pack and the thrower when I cast them. As for the clips, they serve no purpose as the new thrower hasn't and clips on it. I could try to make a peg and hole like the Matty packs, just in case your figures get tried of holding the throwers.:lol:

Does anyone have a good screengrab of the cartoon busters packs and throwers? If so, could you please post it here? I would like it for a painting reference. Thanks!

And for those of you who think I might have been fudging the power of the magnets by using Louis as a test, here's another one.

By Vincenzo330
CaptCyan wrote:
And for those of you who think I might have been fudging the power of the magnets by using Louis as a test, here's another one.
Hey waittaminute! Are you calling Ray fat? :-D

A peg to hang the wand would be awesome. As for the hose, in the cartoon they came out of that little bump on the bottom but if that's hard to do just off to the side would be fine.

It looks like this thread is getting more and more popular. You may have a wait list for these before you finish :crunch:
By CaptCyan
slimeguy wrote:
JasonCash wrote:Hey Capt...that rack of packs you made for the Kenner Ecto looks amazing.....you really should start selling those...I'd be up for a set..
As would I.
Have you guys seen these threads? If not, take a look 'cause this is how it started.

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 13&t=19007

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =7&t=18989

Those who would like a set , please let me know in this thread. Either "Ecto set" for the ones on the rack or "Cartoon set" for the ones I'm doing here. When I'm done with this build I will start making them and let you know when they are available.
By CaptCyan
joeghostbuster wrote:Capt, here are some screencaps from the series and some production art that you might find useful when painting the packs...

also the packs of the RGB figures are actually based on the promo pilot, so Ive included some screens from that as well
Nice caps. I should have asked for these first. Many thanks! Think I'll stick with the promo pilot refs.
By CaptCyan
[/quote]

A peg to hang the wand would be awesome. As for the hose, in the cartoon they came out of that little bump on the bottom but if that's hard to do just off to the side would be fine.

It looks like this thread is getting more and more popular. You may have a wait list for these before you finish :crunch:[/quote]

Not really, just full figured. :lol:
The peg is a "try" because I'm not sure if it will work. Hose out the bottom, no problem. Thanks to joeghostbuster's screen caps, I made a slight alteration to the pack's cyclotron bottom so it is even with the upper protion. a little filler and it should look like it grew there.

I'm going to try and scratch a better thrower, if it doesn't work out I still have the orange one to fall back on. I'll have to get some brown "hose" too. this is going to be fun!

Thanks for the "crunch" in advance!
By Ectofiend666
If these are afordable, and I can scrounge up the dough, these are as good as ordered [most likely a set of 4-8] :-)...

Epecially if you do a run of both the ORGB [promo] and regular series packs :cool: ...
By SeikoVoiceNote29
Vincenzo330 wrote:
CaptCyan wrote:

It looks like this thread is getting more and more popular. You may have a wait list for these before you finish :crunch:

Hahahah! I love my fat RG Rays! :) Great packs btw! :blush:
By CaptCyan
Smoothed down pieces on the pack and did a quick paint color test before I make the first mold. You can see I found brown hose for the packs. Ray still likes the old thrower.

I cut out a pocket in the pack and glued in a magnet to show how flush they will sit.

Here's the "real" packs thanks to Joeghostbuster.

And here's the paint up.

I started to fabricate the new "cartoon" thrower. I have to take some liberties with the design to make it easier to cast in one piece.

Comments, please.
By GhstbstrLMLIII
Looking great. Good job on the quick paint, just to get the idea out there. Liking the start to the cartoon thrower as well. These are really going to put the original toys in dust.
By mikegb1984x
Capt I would also be intrested in a set of these packs. A set I guessing would be 4? Id even take them un painted i would like to make them look like the movie. Awsome stuff.
By CaptCyan
I did up the new thrower and put on a quick coat of cartoon paint to see how it looks. I made it flat on the bottom to make it easier to mold and so I can cast it without getting too many bubbles in the resin.

Ray seems to think the balance is pretty good.

And now Ray will bench test it on Slimer.

Looks like it works!

For more on the Proton Beam see this thread:

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 90&t=18195

So, Vinny, what do you think?
By Omega165
:cool: Amazing job. I would be interested in a set of each (4 movie and 4 cartoon) :cool:
Matty PKE Question...URGENT

Good morning everyone! I have a local toy colle[…]

Positron Props GB1 Pack Build

Awesome!! Good luck on your build! Tom's shell i[…]

Trailer posted for release for the Frozen Empire u[…]

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]