Talk about the your favorite Ghostbusters Collectibles from Mattel, Kenner, and more.
By spiff
Yeah, Joe's and Capt's version totally kicks Matty's arse on this, new goggles or not ;)
By CaptCyan
craptacular wrote:Cool seeing them side by side but im not going to say which looks better until I see the finished painted Mattel Rookie.
Hey Tac!

Yes, you should wait untill matty is done with their paint applications before casting judgement, but I think you can see which way the ruling might go.
:wink:

By CaptCyan
joeghostbuster wrote:I still say in a pinch that marcus' head works. though you could always do a headswap when the Rookie comes out Capt. your goggles are a hundred times better too. but at least they improved theirs since MM ray
Hey Buddy,

As they stand now, the Marcus head is a better resemblance than the Matty head. :wink:
By mburkit
CaptCyan wrote:. . . Funk Punk Twang (behind the figures) took some stills that I hope are a bit sharper. . .
Here's Jon's photo's from that little photo shoot.

And my favorite. . . the true inspection!

It looks like Jon's camera didn't know which figure to focus on so in every shot, one of them is slightly out of focus.
By CaptCyan
mburkit wrote:And my favorite. . . the true inspection!
Hah! Looks like Egon needs a shave. :wink:

Thanks for uploading the pics!

Here's the Video.

By CaptCyan
A bit. There were 2 or 3 Matty girls that came over to take a look. Funk did most of the talking with the Matty rep. and I have some video of that. I'm editing it down and will post it on the Hello Kitty thread as it was part of th HK Figure unveiling.
By CaptCyan
It's nice to see that they put the gloves back on the Matty Rookie figure. Don't mind the Goggles, they look better when you put them on right side up.

With the announcement that the Rookie will be the Matty figure for April., I'm going to start on an upgrade kit which I will try to complete around the time the Rookie goes on sale. Most likely after as the way things go. :wink:

All pieces will be a new build. As it will be in kit form, I 'll try to make them as easy as possible to add on to the figure. Joeghostbuster and Mereel will be adding suggestions / comments to the thread and I invite everyone else to do the same.

Please look over the Rookie build and give me an idea of what could be improved or was missed and could be added ( within reason ), and if anyone can figure out how to put the Cage over that Red Light next to the Crank Knob in that scale, please LMK.
By Kingpin
Those goggles are a marked improvement over the ones released with "marshmallow Ray", I may just have to pick up a set for my Ray figure.
By Mereel
It's great to see the Rookie with paint applied. Still amazed how close the headsculpt you used for your custom fit the rookie though!

I think an upgrade kit is a great idea, if Mattel can't come through with an updated pack and accessories, I know you can!

Straight away, I'd think the strap mounted walkie-talkie and flashlight is a must. Also maybe the modified Lifegard on the belt as well.

The various pack add-ons will be a challenge to make as easy to upgrade as possible. It should be neat though to see it all come together!

This is definitely gonna be loads of fun though!
By danbuster365
i know i cant wait and now i might have to buy 7 of the rookie one to open one to keep normal in package four for the other guys in the game and one to make the rookie like the game if capt is doing an add on set keep it updated good luck
By CaptCyan
Thanks for the vote of confidence DB!

Hey Mereel!

It's great to see the Rookie with paint applied. Still amazed how close the headsculpt you used for your custom fit the rookie though!

That was joeghostbuster's pick. He has a good eye for that kind of stuff (even if he doesn't think so) which is why I'm gald he'll be following along.

Straight away, I'd think the strap mounted walkie-talkie and flashlight is a must. Also maybe the modified Lifegard on the belt as well.

Those are first on the agenda, Flashlight and Talkie will be about the same, but the Lifegard will come with the belt holder this time.

The various pack add-ons will be a challenge to make as easy to upgrade as possible. It should be neat though to see it all come together!

I'm thinking I might have to build them in clusters that will be easy to cast up and I'm not sure how to handle the wireing yet. :shock:

This is definitely gonna be loads of fun though!

Yes it will, and I'm glad you're along for the ride. I hope others will join in, too.
By Makuta
a upgrade pack would be awesome.
all i really want is a slime blower upgrade.
and a way to all the walkie-talkie and flashlight to the pack straps, without the walkie and flashlight on the straps it just dosen't look right.

I greatly look forward to a thread/updates on the upgrade pack, i followed they creation of the rookie figure you made, checking the thread daily.
By CaptCyan
I had every good intention to make this a March madness build, but I was thwarted on Leap Year Day.

Fortunately, the damage is cosmetic rather than mechanical. I did injure my right hand and had temporary hearing loss when the air bag went off, other than that, I'm all right. (depending on who you ask) :wink: Anyway, my hand has gotten back to normal and I can get this thread started again.

While I couldn't work for long periods of time, I was able to slice up some styrene parts for the Slime Tank and the Flashlight.

I assembled those, added a few more bits and started on the LifeGard.

Started the Radio, finished the body of the LifeGard and started it's Circut Board.

I also started the Tubes for the Pack and Thrower. And thanks to my good friend Mereel, I have an extended Ion Arm and Thrower Handles to use.

Not too bad for a late start. :-D]
By Derrico13
Geeze Cap, glad you're ok. This is going to be a cool project, I'm sure it's going to end awesomely as usual. This add-on will probably increase sales for Matty's site!
By CaptCyan
Thanks guys!

Hopefully nothing but totally awesome posts from here on and yeah, if only it would increase their sales, they might continue and make a few figures I really want. :wink:

A small update. The Circut board for the LifeGard.

I cut the "Board" out of styrene and was thinking of how to make the electronics on it. Well, nothing looks like miniature electronics more than miniature electronics. I happen to have an old SD card that fried...so I took it apart to see what was inside. The white piece is the styrene " Game Board".

I nipped up the SD Board and glued parts onto the "Game Board". While not an exact match, it does come closer than plain styrene and while the Blue & White printing won't show up in the mold, the raised metal parts should. The blank space in the middle is where the Holster Strap will go.

I'm not going to attempt the Red and Green wiring or the Hold Down Cords as they will not duplicate well when cast. Think I should add that slice that's taken out of the right side of the LifeGard?
By c05ta
I dont know why it took me so long to find this thread but i can say that the custom rookie is SOO much better than matty's
I was the person holding the matty rook in the NYCC pics, so ive seen them both close up (i know a few others have also seen them but i wanted to give my opinion).

And above all else im glad that the Captain is alright after that fender bender.

Sent from my DROIDX using Ghostbusters Fans on Android
By Mereel
First of all, glad you're ok! I've thankfully never had to go through an airbag going off but I hear it isn't fun at all.

And second, what an update! The radio and flashlight looks like you've got a great start on, but the lifegard looks amazing! Using the actual circuit board is VERY clever! I might have to borrow that idea for my GBII daughterboards! You really did an amazing job though, you got the look of the lifegard down perfectly, really well done!

As for the notch - if you could add it, it would give the wiring somewhere to go once you add that to the finished piece.

Great job, I know I'll be picking up a couple of these kits!
By CaptCyan
Thanks everybody for the "well wishes".
c05ta wrote:I dont know why it took me so long to find this thread but i can say that the custom rookie is SOO much better than matty's
I was the person holding the matty rook in the NYCC pics, so ive seen them both close up (i know a few others have also seen them but i wanted to give my opinion).
Hey c05ta!

Glad you found the thread and keep the opinions coming. :-D

Mereel wrote:As for the notch - if you could add it, it would give the wiring somewhere to go once you add that to the finished piece.
The notch could be added, as well as other holes for the rest of the wires. The question is, will everybody want to take the time to add the wires to their figure?

My goal is to make these parts as detailed as I can and easy to add on the figure. I also have to make them easy to mold and cast, so that makes any wiring or tubing a separate item. I'm guessing a wiring diagram will be in my future.
By henz
I registered just to comment here. This is amazing work, I've greatly enjoyed tracking the progression thoughout this thread.

I liked the game, but honestly I never considered Rookie a toy worth buying until now. Playing the game now I keep noticing how cool the almost comically over-loaded proton pack looks. The extra gadgets look fantastic on this custom, damn shame Matty didn't bother with the official release.

Cyan, you're making a custom upgrade pack of sorts? Can I ask how many you're making? Cause I'd be very interested if it isn't too much trouble.
By CaptCyan
Hey Kickin'!

Glad you found it.

henz wrote:Cyan, you're making a custom upgrade pack of sorts? Can I ask how many you're making? Cause I'd be very interested if it isn't too much trouble.
Hey henz!

Welcome to GBFans!

I'm making parts to upgrade the soon to be released Rookie Figure so he'll look like he does at the end of the game. I'll be making molds and castings of those parts, so as long as they are sucessful, there should be plenty for everyone.

Speaking of the Rookie, I've done up my base figure to work on.

Now I have to get from here to there.

By CaptCyan
joeghostbuster wrote:very nice start! and I hope to get the original Rookie back in my possession soon, just have to check my piggy bank ;)
Hey Joeghostbuster!

He's gonna have more miles on him than my car does. :lol:

Here's my stand in version, I borrowed the Goggles from the origional Joeghostbuster Rookie. I found a new source for the Slime Hose, that's a sample next to the Base. It's nice and pliable, unlike the PVC tubing I used for the origional.

And here's the Matty Rookie again, just to compair.

The Flashlight, Radio and LifeGard are almost done. This close-up shows the details a little better

The white parts I make up will be the mold masters. Once I've got them done, I'll make castings and paint them up to use on the figure. That way you can see how the actual cast pieces look when finished.
Spengler/84 wand Gun Track

So...I had more than a little problem with dis[…]

Preview for #2 on DH's page. https://www.darkhors[…]

The_Y33TER , since the majority of the maker sc[…]

PKE Meter build project!

DO you have this files on sale?