Talk about the your favorite Ghostbusters Collectibles from Mattel, Kenner, and more.
By Kingpin

Often seen at parties and in the odd appearance at a convention, the Rubies Ghostbusters costume had enjoyed a degree of popularity due to being relatively inexpensive and durable, thanks to a plastic inflatable Proton Pack.

However, with the exception of one risqué version of the Ghostbusters costume, the Rubies effort has often been felt by some to be rather lacking... that is, until now.

Scooped by Ghostbusters News, Rubies appears to be developing a new Deluxe version of the costume, featuring a plastic Proton Pack and gun which greatly resemble the equipment we're familiar with.

Despite appearing a little on the small size for an adult it would appear to be perfect for a child, which will certainly get a lot of minds churning at the possibilities. Price and whether it'll be available in other sizes are yet to be announced.
Ecto-1 fan, Vincenzo330 liked this
Looks great, even if it is a little small for an adult. I had the inflatable Proton Pack myself for a time, until I found the backpack with the screen printed graphics that is for sale up every wear on line nowadays. Cannot wait to hear more about it.
I'm looking forward to these myself. My ex gf often dresses up as a ghostbuster with me, and while we were able to make a uniform fit her size (She is a very VERY petite girl) the only pack that her 95lbs of person could support is the kenner kids pack that I had when I was a kid. Surprisingly it is just about the perfect size for her lol.

I doubt she could strap on a 35-40lb replica pack, and I know she couldn't wear my scratch-built slime blower. Thing weighs a ton...

This thing would probably look a little big on her but if it's light enough, and with a few simple modifications, I bet it would be one good replica pack for her.
This will be especially great for women and children due to the size, and the fact that it probably won't cost too much. You'll probably see a lot of guys with prop packs bringing along their girlfriends/wives/kids with these. Hopefully the quality is decent. A lot of this stuff is made from really thin flimsy plastic.
Kingpin wrote:Taking a closer look at the Gun Mount, it would appear that the Proton Gun is held on with Velcro.
Seriously? That's what ya complaining bout? It actually looks like it can be easily taken off.
My gut feeling is that this thing is solid inside, so no lights and it will be difficult to retrofit and add some... look at the solid black tip instead of clear.

Even so, my eleven-year-old has already asked me to combine these packs with Matty 'Neutrino Wands' for him and his brother. Barring that, he says he will paint the tip of the Rubies wand silver so it looks more like clear.

The velcro detail made me smile... my first pack in the 80's was made of styrofoam and had many parts attach via velcro.

Has there been any indication of price on these yet?

Alex
mcbridetech84 liked this
By Kingpin
Rodimus wrote:Seriously? That's what ya complaining bout? It actually looks like it can be easily taken off.
That was an observation, not a complaint.
Alex Newborn wrote:My gut feeling is that this thing is solid inside, so no lights and it will be difficult to retrofit and add some... look at the solid black tip instead of clear.
A solid end to the tip of the gun doesn't rule out a hollow Proton Gun or Pack, it just means they've been injection moulded like the tops of costume tridents, costume swords or even the original Kenner Proton Pack.

No price mentioned thus far.
Fifthrider liked this
Kingpin wrote:
Rodimus wrote:Seriously? That's what ya complaining bout? It actually looks like it can be easily taken off.
That was an observation, not a complaint.
My bad. To me, it looks really easy to take off.
Alex Newborn wrote:My gut feeling is that this thing is solid inside, so no lights and it will be difficult to retrofit and add some... look at the solid black tip instead of clear.

Has there been any indication of price on these yet?

Alex
If they followed Gary's suggestion then it will be made from the same rigid foam that they make their tombstones decorations from.

That should also mean a modest price tag.
Fifthrider liked this
Mowskwoz wrote:Depending on the price, I may pick one of these up for my kids instead of scratch building them one. That way can focus on building my pack.
Same here, I will probably get two for my girls and sock them away for when they ask for packs. If they sell well maybe Rubies will make a full sized pack?
Vincenzo330 wrote: If they followed Gary's suggestion then it will be made from the same rigid foam that they make their tombstones decorations from.
Man...I hate that foam crap. Either it's that styrofoam cup style junk or it's that "just rigid enough" strange foam, both are what rubies use. Im hoping they make it out of plastic because modifying either of those will take as much time as building one the regular ways and even less of a mess. I wonder how it would hold a Dixie hook.

still, that doesn't hinder me from getting one. whoever id lend it to can live with out lights.
I was just made aware of the thread.

When I got my Creature grave walker around halloween, (pic attached) I sent a message to rubies thanking them for such an amazing piece for such a great price (close to original size, chest, arms and head full 3d for under $100 shipped.)

I mentioned to them that Mattel was just releasing the trap, and that since they already had the license for costumes, they could easily do a rigid foam trap or pack and sell it for the same price.

They liked the idea, and asked for some links with reference materials.. so I of course mentioned GBfans.

I contacted Vince since he had IMHO the best shell around, incase they wanted to contact him for reference, but never really heard back from them again. (this was in Nov I think, around the holidays)

The foam in question is very rigid, kind of like great stuff once it settled. The painted it in what looks like a cross between regular apple barrel paints and house paint, and in another email, told me the paint was weather and uv resistant.

The grave walkers are now uber buck$ on ebay, and I've seen the creech sell for as high as $600.

I'm actually going to email that contact again, and see if I can find the pricepoint, see if it has any lights, if they are considering doing an adult sized version, and also a trap.

if I hear anything back from them, I'll pass it on!

Looks like these will also be in regular stores.. so I'm guessing $69 or so.. and even more important, AFTER HALLOWEEN CLEARANCE SALES!

We'll get a pack so Marci has a smaller pack option, or if kids want to wear one at events, they can wear something that didn't cost $$$ to build.

EDIT: I located the emails, and they were sent last July. I replied back to the guy in charge of product development, and his assistant as well, asking for some specific details:

Price
lights and or sound
build material
possibility of the ghost trap as well
possibility of a full sized adult pack

and I asked if there was any way to get a review version... :mrgreen:

If I hear anything back from them, I'll pass it on. (unless its a hit the road and stop bugging us reply) ;)

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]