Talk about the your favorite Ghostbusters Collectibles from Mattel, Kenner, and more.
kurisu7885 wrote:No guarantee sure, but look what happened with Minecraft.
Not really a fair comparison. Ghostbusters is a 30+ year old franchise that's currently being kept in the public eye by the fans and some new merchandise, Minecraft is a younger franchise that's still active and with a considerable fanbase across multiple age brackets. Plus the Minecraft sets were modular and smaller, with the Firehouse you could only build the Firehouse.
Kingpin wrote:
kurisu7885 wrote:No guarantee sure, but look what happened with Minecraft.
Not really a fair comparison. Ghostbusters is a 30+ year old franchise that's currently being kept in the public eye by the fans and some new merchandise, Minecraft is a younger franchise that's still active and with a considerable fanbase across multiple age brackets. Plus the Minecraft sets were modular and smaller, with the Firehouse you could only build the Firehouse.
Eh, I guess that's true, might be better to give up on the idea.
Jake LeRoy wrote:Your gonna make me spend my whole paycheck on Legos
You were saying?

I made two "wild walls" that I can move depending on which way the camera needs to get in there for various angles.

The wild walls are now beside the stairs, with shelves added in front of them.

There was an empty area under the stairs, so I threw in a blue box... a little 'Citizen Ghost' reference.

Still awaiting a handful more bricks, like that red tap and some replacement tan plates due to the seller sending ones that were two studs too long. But it's basically finished.

Alex
That would be OrionPax's, who I mentioned in a previous comment. He did some really great stuff. I borrowed his recipes for stair rails, shelves, and tables.

But I felt his basement was just a tad claustrophobic. No doubt because it was just a 'feature' of an overall firehouse design, certain size restrictions were imposed upon it.

For that matter, I think trying to shoehorn all of the LA interior features into the NY exterior is probably too restrictive as well. I've designed mine like miniature movie sets, so I can get my camera in there to duplicate multiple angles from the height of the minifigs.

One thing I stopped myself from doing long ago was what I call the 'God angle' in photographing toys. Nothing makes it look like a toy more than gazing down upon it from on high. I try to put my lens at the toys' eye level as much as possible.

OrionPax's all-in-one firehouse is brilliant, and I wish I could afford a fraction of the bricks he put into it.... but there's so much of it that just can't be seen anymore because the walls prevent a camera from getting in there.

He also used a lot of textured bricks, the ones with masonry lines on them. I find those a really odd choice for Lego to have ever created. 'Hey, you know how there are visible seams between every brick we make? Why don't we add even MORE fake seams on the sides of the bricks? Yeah!'

If it was one giant panel covered in fake mortar lines, I could see it... but phony lines interrupted every two studs by real lines? It's just too much.

So what I did was to make the natural brick-seams the cracks between the cinderblocks.

~~~

It's funny. When I got into this project, I re-watched the Lego movie. I liked the message that it gave about doing your own thing with the bricks instead of just following the instructions, yet everyone sure seems hung up on talking about how the 'death' of the 'official' set proposal is somehow an end to their only hope of ever getting one.

It's only stopping you if you let it.

Think outside the box. If they didn't make the set you wanted, make it yourself. And don't just recreate what's been done. Make changes that please your own aesthetics.

This is a website with TONS of information on how to make your own proton pack, a way to build something with your own hands to fulfill a need that can't be met by walking into Wal-Mart and taking one down off the shelf.

I'm frankly a bit surprised and disappointed that such a can-do Ghostbusters Fans attitude seems to be totally absent when it comes to something as amazingly flexible and universal as Lego bricks!

Alex
PssdffJay, Smeghead, Ecto-1 fan and 2 others liked this
Good question!

Just ballparking it, but it looks like about $60 just on the 500+ bricks, and that includes a $10 baseplate.

Unfortunately, that total does not include all the various prices I spent on shipping from different BrickLink sellers. If I'd made my full design before ordering any bricks, I could have done a much more frugal purchase from fewer sellers.

I'll try to take some pics of my RGB MiniMates in it.

In the meantime, I finally finished editing and uploading this.

Alex
I hope it is ok to add a few of mine to Alex's awesome thread. I think it will be helpful to compare for others who might want to recreate their favorite GB moments in brick form. Mine are all from parts we had around the house, so you'll see more yellow faces and shoehorned parts that aren't quite right, but hey, that's part of the creative fun.

First up is my version of the ECU and Walter Peck. You'll notice I used the masonry bricks Alex was talking about. I like the look, but a whole room of them in a build like Alex's basement might've been a bit much.

Next is Janine's desk. Egon is being very handy, as you can probably tell.

Here's Louis from outside the museum in GB2, the "I'm here with you guys" moment. A dark room, a red transparency, and a flash light helped produce the pink glow.

Finally, I thought it would be fun to recreate myself as a Lego Ghostbuster. This is from my picture that helped me win another PKE meter in the Halloween contest in 2013. The scratch build of Fearsome Flush was a fun challenge.

Hopefully these inspire more of you to build and share.
Smeghead, Alex Newborn, Kingpin and 2 others liked this
Alex Newborn wrote:
Jake LeRoy wrote:How do minimates figures look with this also?

Alex
If I may, maybe a pic of those Minimates or the movie based minimates with the Lego figs looking freaked out. XD

Also looks like it might be better as individual set pieces with what you said, then people can construct a firehouse around them, or Lego could make them stackable.

Hmm, then it could be easier to make the vehicle bay git the existing Ecto-1.
EBay and BrickLink.

The torso stickers come from a seller on eBay. They're nice and professionally printed, but uncut so you must trim them to the right shape. The nametag font is bit small and the gray is a little dark in person, but they photograph pretty well with a flash. The seller also includes waterslide decals of GB2 logos for the arms, but I wasn't confident with my decal skills, so I left them off.

The dark-bluish-gray torsos, d-b-g legs, and Santa hats all came from different BrickLink sellers. At each webstore, I purchased other pieces I needed for other models, so as to maximize the multiple shipping prices.

To get the d-b-g bodies plain was going to be much more expensive, ironically, so I bought ones that had factory paint jobs, and then Brasso'ed off the Lego decos.

The Santa hats arrived today. I was mildly disappointed to discover that they can't be spun around to put the white ball on the other side (to better match reference pics of the GB's). The 'back' side of the hat is level, not scalloped, and would cover the minifigs' eyes.

The 'no-moustache Winston' head came from eBay, as mentioned a few posts back. Not sure what minifig originally had him, maybe Mace Windu? His obverse face is a very determined grimace rather than Winston's scared alternate.

The Egon/Ray/Peter heads are just the same ones that came with the Ecto. I keep having to pop them off to put them on new bodies for each pic. Beginning to worry about the oil on my hands damaging their faces, actually.

Alex
I dunno if this is off topic or not, but I was watching the extended trailer for the upcoming game Lego Dimensions and, well, just take a look.

Now, tell me what you saw that seems relevant to this thread.
Last edited by Kingpin on April 13th, 2015, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added YouTube code
Janine's desk has 2 6 x 1 black tiles on the long side, 2 4 x 1 black tiles on the short side, and 2 2 x 2 black tiles on the front. No reason for using 2 x 2s and 4 x 1s in similar areas, just what I found first when digging around.

The skeleton of the desk is a bit confusing. I'll just post some pics in the next post.

Forgive the dust, she's been on a shelf for a while. I'm not sure what to call all of these elements, but it's a lot of the ones that are two 2 x 1s connected at a 90 degree angle, and they are grounded to the floor by the 1 x 1 bricks with the extra stud on the side. Then a 2 x 1 brick with 2 side studs holds the desktop on.
Smeghead liked this
Thanks for the pics, Michael!

Don't worry about the dust. Practically all the photos I've posted so far have been touched up digitally to remove giant dots of dust or even the occasional eyelash stuck to the bricks.

I ordered a Librarian torso for a GB1 Janine. I'll play around in LDD and see what sort of design I can come up with for the black sides of my existing desk top.

And Kurisu, thanks for the link to the extended version of that trailer. I'd only seen the short version, so I got a big laugh out of what he does when he first thinks the bricks might be haunted.

Alex
The journey from commonplace to Ecto-75.

Whole car is great but the pack trolly...how?

Proton Props???

If anyone here is still pondering ordering from th[…]

I haven't done the new update to the Spirits Unlea[…]

I ended up grabbing one of the 84 wands just t[…]