Talk about the your favorite Ghostbusters Collectibles from Mattel, Kenner, and more.
Smeghead wrote:That's some crafty SNOT work there.:)
I had to look up the acronym to understand what you meant. Yeah, Michael's desk for Janine is very clever in the way he turned the pieces.

I had two places in the Firehouse basement where I turned small assemblies so the Studs were Not On Top. Neither one of them uses a bracket or other 90-degree piece to hold them in place.

The curved section underneath the opening hatch of the ECU is rotated 180 degrees. It slides into place so that one upside-down tile rests atop a right-side-up tile, with the surrounding opening holding it in place by friction. I actually figured this out in a hand-drawn sketch, then tested it with a mockup made of wrong-color bricks, then ordered the parts I needed in the correct colors.

The breaker box (with the knife handle that Con Ed turns off) is similarly turned 90 degrees and slides into the wall through a just-big-enough rectangular opening.

Handlebar pieces lock it into place on the rear, while the switch and other protruding details hold it in place in the front.

That was another case of having the idea, but being unable to test it in LDD, so I made a mockup of whatever color bricks were lying around to check my buried memories from childhood of how many plates equal the width of a brick, etc.

Alex
You had to look up what SNOT means? Call yourself an AFOL? :P
As you say, the secret of good SNOT is remembering that 5 plates = 2 studs. As long as you stick to a multiple of that ratio, anything you turn sideways should fit with no gaps.

(A good guide to using bricks in weird ways can be found here if anyone needs some inspiration.)
Smeghead wrote:You had to look up what SNOT means? Call yourself an AFOL? :P
As you say, the secret of good SNOT is remembering that 5 plates = 2 studs. As long as you stick to a multiple of that ratio, anything you turn sideways should fit with no gaps.

(A good guide to using bricks in weird ways can be found here if anyone needs some inspiration.)
Just for reference, as I recall SNOT means Studs Not On Top.
I honestly had no intention of being a copycat, but today we went to the Lego store and the pick a brick section had the bricks for the basement walls, so I couldn't help but buy a bunch, plus I already had a containment unit, so I figured it would be fun. Alex's build was a huge inspiration, and I borrow a few of his ideas, but I'd like to think my version isn't a direct plagiarization. It is a bit smaller (16 x 20 stud base, 9 bricks high), and most of the wall units were built using different elements. Hopefully this again serves as a good comparison and lends ideas to others who might feel like tackling a similar project.

That being said I was a bit limited on bricks I had to use in varying sizes. I had enough 2 x 2s to go a bit bigger, but the 1 x 1 and 2 x 1 bricks were more scarce. I didn't map it out beforehand or even during the build, I just went for it and made lots of adjustments along the way.

Here's the "Tell him about the Twinkie" scene.

Side view.

Other side.

Diagonal view without minifigures blocking it, no pun intended.

I also borrowed Alex's shelving ladder idea, but didn't include it in the pictures.
Jake LeRoy liked this
I already hit like to this on Facebook, but it's great seeing the additional angles.

I myself borrowed the shelving ladder design from OrionPax's firehouse, so I can't take credit for it.

I know I've been quiet about GB Lego stuff lately. I've got another scene mostly built, just been too busy with a writing assignment to finish and photograph it. Hopefully soon.

In the meantime, since you guys liked all my other Lego 'Busters, I thought you might get a kick out of these guys.

Alex
Jake LeRoy, Smeghead liked this
I can't stop editing my basement. I smoothed out the top of the walls, took the walls down by one brick, re-did the column next to the wall, and loaded up my storage rack with gear. Beyond that I decided to put in a removable corner pillar and "ceiling/roof." It still has a hole in the top, so I use those terms loosely. I'm really happy how this turned out given that I exhausted our inventory of "sand" colored elements.

Here's Pete letting the guys know they just got a visit from the EPA.

The reddish brown hair was a fluke. I ordered a dark brown spiked hair for possessed Louis, but they sent me the r.b. by mistake. I contacted them and they said they were out of dark brown. I opted for a partial refund and kept the r.b. because I knew if I returned it, I'd just find a use for it. Which, now I have.

The black version is the one that BrickinIt uses for Gozer, but I figure they're never seen alongside one another.

I did finally find a dark brown one for Louis, but they're hard to come by.

Alex
How the crap am I just now seeing this thread? This is AMAZING! You can seriously almost construct the entire movie sequences with all that you have o0
Alex Newborn liked this
Alex Newborn wrote:Purely by happenstance, I built this scene today, and now my friend Dillon just reminded me it's National Secretary's Day, so I had to hurry up and take a wide shot.

Alex
Alex if some one ask me if your a Lego god I'll say YES!!!!!!

Just love this one! How long did it take to build this beautiful creation?
Alex Newborn liked this
Michael Scott wrote: I just ordered a flesh tone head.
Meant to comment on this earlier. For my Janine, I'm using Dr. Harleen Quinzel. Fleshtone skin, glasses, a nice know-it-all smirk.

Only down side is making sure her wig covers the white Harley Quinn face paint in the back. I suppose I could Brasso off the other face. Shrug.

Here's a pic of Gozer, Janine, and Louis with three different colors of the same hair sculpt.

Grimmy GB wrote:How the crap am I just now seeing this thread? This is AMAZING! You can seriously almost construct the entire movie sequences with all that you have o0
IKR? That's what I've been saying!

I discovered I had more white bricks than I'd realized, so I built an additional wall to go behind Peter's office, which as of yesterday was just a free-standing brown wall.

(Note that you can see Peck's other Obi-Wan face beneath his wig, and a hint of Harley under Janine's.)

I had *just enough* white and green plates to do the wall stripe at either side, but if you see it from the opposite end, the stripe does not go behind the brown.

I was able to use white bricks that were longer than 1x2 in the obscured section, so there are 1x3s, 1x4s, 1x6s and 1x8s hidden back there. That left me just enough 1x2s to go above the brown and give the illusion the entire wall was uniform.

I've got a plan for some additional details for Peter's office, Janine's desk, etc. so this scene is still a work in progress. If you have suggestions, don't hesitate.

Alex
Jake LeRoy wrote:what about adding the Gbs lockers that they kept there uniforms in and of course a fire pole!
I'd thought of poles, but hadn't thought of the lockers, good one. And I want to make a coffee pot for Janine. I think in the movie it's on the same wall with the lockers.

Oh, one funny thing I forgot to mention above. I was making that wall section behind the brown office wall, and it was odd-numbered. I kept running out of 1x3s and 1x1s. I was even leaving 1x1 mouseholes in it. I stared at my pile of even-numbered bricks and wished they made 1x5s and 1x7s... and then I had the DUH moment.

I cracked the entire back wall up off the baseplate from where I'd arbitrarily placed it when I started, shifted it one stud further back, and needed only even-numbered bricks after that.

Alex
Jake LeRoy liked this
By the way, another rule of Legos is that everything is recyclable. I sometimes build a test version with parts in the wrong colors, just out of whatever's on hand. Case in point, I made gray mockups of the slimeblowers before all the silver and black pieces arrived.

When the correct colors came in, I just threw the gray prototypes in a ziploc bag and forgot them. But while I was making Venkman's office, I thought "in the movie there's a telescope somewhere around here, I wonder what I could use..." and my brain instantly flashed on the slimeblowers. A minor adjustment and voila, instant telescope.

The fertility idol was also something I had bought for another purpose. I was dressing the PV office and thought, "okay, here on the desk he's got a gargoyle, what have I got that looks like a... oh, perfect!"
Jake LeRoy wrote:Alex if some one ask me if your a Lego god I'll say YES!!!!!!

Just love this one! How long did it take to build this beautiful creation?
Hmmm. Not sure... everything has been done in sections, so it's hard to calculate.

The Janine desk pieces arrived about three weeks ago. I posted a pic of the desk then, but held the rails and Peter's desk in reserve until the whole scene was finished.

This may be interesting to see the little nuances I've made. I was waiting for the handset for the phone to arrive when I snapped this one.

I've actually built her printer and computer tower twice. Once in all-white, to match the monitor and keyboard, and once in light bluish gray, which was my preference because it gives the white piece of 'paper' more contrast. I looked for the computer pieces in lbg, but only found them in white and dark bluish gray.

That frog on her desk is the only thing I found with an odd organic shape to portray her whale. If you guys think of a better brick for this, let me know.

My initial order for engine bay walls arrived, and I built them in an hour or two of monotony, only to discover they were way too short. The Ecto towered over them, as did my basement scene's walls. Although I'd worked out how many plates and tiles I'd need just to make this big L-shaped wall, they just didn't look right on a shelf together with the car or the other set. So I placed an order for even more white 1x2 bricks.

Almost simultaneously, I saw Michael Scott's pic of his GB1 Janine with the Librarian torso, and had to go find a supplier, then wait for it to arrive.

Somewhere in there I saw OrionPax's recipe for the walls behind Venkman's desk, and order a bunch of the reddish-brown containers. Now that I've built it, I wish I'd ordered about four more. Maybe when I make artwork to cover the wall, I can sneak four of those out, replace them with other brown bricks, and make the whole brown wall taller.

Lbrarian torso arrived a couple days ago. Yesterday, I got the additional white bricks. I dug out a 48x48 baseplate that I've owned for decades, and realize my L-shaped wall needed to be an almost entirely straight wall. This meant dismantling the greater portion of it just to get to all those teeny plates in the middle, and I was reminded of fears people had about NASA's interlocking thermal tiles on the Space Shuttle in the 80s.

They'd said no glue would withstand the temperatures of reentry, so the tiles just held each other in place. Critics feared a 'zipper effect' that would rip the entire shield off. I would try to pull apart just enough bricks to expose the ones I need, and great diagonal sections would all come out with it. So add a couple more hours of monotony to that construct.

Either I'd miscalculated how many 1x2 white bricks I needed to get the height up where I wanted it, or I had just bought the guy's inventory out and forgotten getting the extras, but I discovered I had lots left over. I happily found a use for them this morning.

And making Peter's office with the rails was about an hour of experimentation just to get everything to fit. I wish I had one more straight rail. I still wish the spheres at the corners were available in reddish brown. I bought them in red and plan to paint them.

Then it was just a matter of set dressing. I've been buying interesting bricks whenever I place an order. So there was a baggy that had some welding masks and acetylene torch in it. A toolbox, a handtruck, Egon's drill.

The sloped pieces with the caution striping were an impulse purchase that became chocks for the Ecto's rear tires.

And did you notice I upgraded the sniffer on the Ecto?

So... if I knew what I was building from the get-go, it would probably be something I could knock out in two or three hours. As it is, I've logged a few additional hours doing work that was eventually undone and redone.

But heck, that's part of the fun.
Jake LeRoy wrote:All I can say is Lego needs to offer you a job lol!

Also have you thought about tackling the rooftop scene?
If they did give me a job, I'd probably spend so much on more employee-discounted bricks, I'd get a negative paycheck.

The Spook Central rooftop temple, eh? I've seen one done, and it would be a great way to show off the BrickinIt custom trio of Destructor, Zooly, and Vince.

But I better think about that a while. Make my design in LDD and see what corners I can cut before I start ordering.

Alex
I saw it done on one of the scratch-built custom versions that predate the official Lego one-- possibly OrionPax's? -- and knew I'd have to do it.

A single brown wand for a sniffer just takes away so much of Ecto's character. These red wands are a bit too long, but they don't seem to make the shorter length in red.

I exhausted the camera battery taking those other pics today, so I had to let it charge for three hours.

Here finally is a pic of how the back side of the wall looks. With the brown wall in front of it, these bricks didn't even have to be white for all it would matter.

The sellers warned that the used bricks would have some yellowing. I thought about bleaching them with hydrogen peroxide, but honestly, it kinda lends something to the overall look.

You can see where the stripes were extended by one stud on the left, and then they resume for the last three studs on the other side. The original wall was built mainly with 1x2 plates, but knew I'd need 1x1s and possibly 1x3s for edges and corners, so I bought just a few more than I needed. It was exactly enough to extend the pattern a total of four studs.

While the camera recharged, it occurred to me to put solid brown bricks at the spot where Janine's filing cabinets block the rail from view, and move those rails to the sides. It meant shifting everything that touched the baseplate about two studs to the right, but I like it better.

I'll probably try to find better filing cabinets at some point. The red is just too bright, and I need four of them to get the right size I want.

Alex
Jake LeRoy liked this
Alex Newborn wrote:
Jake LeRoy wrote:what about adding the Gbs lockers that they kept there uniforms in and of course a fire pole!
I'd thought of poles, but hadn't thought of the lockers, good one. And I want to make a coffee pot for Janine. I think in the movie it's on the same wall with the lockers.

Oh, one funny thing I forgot to mention above. I was making that wall section behind the brown office wall, and it was odd-numbered. I kept running out of 1x3s and 1x1s. I was even leaving 1x1 mouseholes in it. I stared at my pile of even-numbered bricks and wished they made 1x5s and 1x7s... and then I had the DUH moment.

I cracked the entire back wall up off the baseplate from where I'd arbitrarily placed it when I started, shifted it one stud further back, and needed only even-numbered bricks after that.

Alex
Look at the Lego Kwik E Mart Simpsons set, it has a coffee pot built that might be absolutely perfect for your purposes.

Also I imagine you getting more Ghostbusters bodies for the suits in the lockers.
Jake LeRoy liked this

Preview for #2 on DH's page. https://www.darkhors[…]

The_Y33TER , since the majority of the maker sc[…]

PKE Meter build project!

DO you have this files on sale?

There's some fun dialogue TV-edits, a replacement[…]