Talk about the your favorite Ghostbusters Collectibles from Mattel, Kenner, and more.
By midmanc82
Hi all, not looking to start any sort of arguments or flame wars by the title of this thread, I apologise if it looks a little bit provocative but I was unsure of what else to use for the title lol!

OK basically I'd like to start this topic off by saying that I do actually like the mattel releases, when they first released Egon back in 2009(?) it felt like a lifelong dream came true. However upon reading a fair few forum posts and whatnot I have come to realise and in some cases agree with some of the more negative comments towards their line, one that springs to mind is that they all do indeed have the same body sculpt/size aside from venkmans pants not being tucked into his boots.

I pretty much have the full mattel figure collection apart from the guys with removable packs, I am still unsure if I want these based on the fact I already have the guys plus all the slimed variants/marshmallow mess Ray plus the GB2 4 pack etc.

I do love them though despite that I agree with a lot of the negative comments, I would like to hear more as I do find it genuinely interesting to read others opinions and with the DST line out now which I'm still waiting for my pre ordered wave 1 here in the U.K, I think it would be really interesting to hear more on the comparisons given that some of you guys over in the States do have them now as I can't really fairly judge on pics of the prototypes vs finished mattel figures I can play with at any given time.

Sorry for rambling on, please do feel free to jump in and throw your 2 pennies/cents worth in, I don't think there can be any wrong answers as it is all going to be opinion based, I will finish by saying that I am equally excited to get my first set of these figures with the dio pieces, given how long my fire house is taking (roughly halfway through) for my mattel figures, these certainly will save me the trouble of making one lol, much as I love the hobby it will just simply be nice to collect along with the figs. From what I have seen and read on other forums these have pros and cons to them and I would love to hear more.

Many thanks for sticking around for the long intro, pics as well as opinions would be good and interesting also :cool::cool::cool:
By Doctor Venkman
I have every figure Mattel released (except for Courtroom Egon, which I still need to find someday)... I basically agree with you in that I loved the Mattel releases and thought a lot of the gripes were kind of overblown. I basically feel the same way about the Diamond releases, except there's something about the paint apps and everything that makes them seem... I dunno... grittier? More real? The paint isn't shiny and one solid color... there's a lot of detail into it.

Personally, I love both sets, and if you have the means, I highly recommend picking them up (both sets).
midmanc82 liked this
By ShiftyHenry
I'll say this, I was 100% on board with Mattel. They gave us something no one else ever had, and I collected the entire run. Despite the terrible Aykroyd likeness, and the lack of certain details. I even bought 3 extra Venkmans to customize the other figures. I had a full set of gloved busters with bases and proton stream. I made a GB suit Tully. I preordered multiple Ecto's to try and push it over the edge. But ultimately, the figures weren't that good. I always wanted more realistic figures. Something like what NECA offered...so when DST announced these figures, I sold off the whole Mattel line. I kept Courtroom Egon (RIP Harold).

Now that I have them in hand? I couldn't be happier. The waist strap on the proton packs, the extra articulation, all the extra hand, the diorama? These are made with true love for the property. Sure, Winston doesn't really look like Ernie, but he's in there somewhere (and maybe some intrepid customizer will resize the Matty head and make it perfect) but these figures are the ones we deserve. I can't wait to have them all.
midmanc82 liked this
By gold333
I'm on the Matty side of this discussion. The DS figures look too inaccurate to me. The weird colors on the equipment, the thin hoses, Lifeguard II's on GB1 figures, lack of transparent parts, that torso hinge, the cartoonish proton stream contrasting with the figures gritty realism, etc. It's like DS simply didn't care for accuracy or did their homework as well as Matty had. And being into the GBTVG as the actual GB3 thing, the Matty figures look a lot more like the ones in that.

I mean, this was unanimously voted as the worst Matty GB figure:

Compare that to:

I don't think the DS figures are terrible by any means, I just have a slight preference for Matty.

PS: why did DS choose that Janine outfit to mold?? She looks like someones grandmother. I think the outfit she wore when the cops brought Tully to the firehouse was much more flattering and kind of like the RGB look but realistic.
midmanc82 liked this
By 910dohead
I used to be one of those guys on the Mattel boards that would always voice my strong opinions on the figures. The whole point was to get a better action figure in the end. I was very much on board with Mattel as I am with DST. I don't think either line is perfect or definitive whatsoever. Both lines have their strong points and both definitely have flaws. Some features I like about Matty versus DST and vice versa. I think if NECA had been able to pull off additional figures, it would have been the definitive Ghostbusters toy line. Sadly, that was never meant to be. Just take a look at their recent Ripley figures. Their Sigourney Weaver sculpt is amazing as her likeness is phenomenal. I think Matty and DST have very poor Weaver sculpts now that I have something to compare them to. That may make for an amazing custom (I want to slap a Ripley head on the DST body. Not sure if it will work, but I know someone is going to try)?

However, we finally have a Janine coming and I think it looks fantastic. Definitely a strong selling point for DST's line. I also have nothing to compare it to since Matty never made it that far (or refused to produce since they still believe in the myth that female figures don't sell in a male dominated toy line; idiots). What I am trying to say is each line is going to have strong ups, low downs and stuff to compare in between. You're either a fan of one or the other or a fan of both or all (like myself). I am always going to be a big fan of any toy company producing Ghostbusters since that's always what the 7 year old in me has yearned for. I may buy into it (Kenner, NECA, MATTY, DST) or I might not (Minimates, TITAN, Funko, Vinyl Idolz, etc.). It simply boils down to personal preference.
Last edited by 910dohead on February 4th, 2016, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
midmanc82 liked this
By Havoc0213
If you want the best of both worlds, solid quality and sculpting, NECA would have been your best bet. The work done on the Terror Dogs and Gozer was phenomenal!

Mattel figures:
Yes, they reused parts and the jumpsuits were all the same among the four busters (with the exception of Venkman's legs). This is nothing new for Ghostbusters toylines as the Kenner line did the same thing. That's how they cut costs. It's my understanding that Mattel didn't have a big budget to begin with. They reused parts and sculpts to support the costs of new sculpts until a movie year brought them a larger budget to work with. Because a movie failed to appear within the time frame they had hoped, and because the line wasn't as profitable as they had hoped, Mattel had to put everything on hold until something more concrete were to happen with the franchise. Now that we've finally reached a movie year we may see the classics line pick back up... Maybe.

Even though the likenesses suffered in some areas, they were still good enough that you knew who they were supposed to be. The figures were also very solid. At no point did I ever fear that something would break the moment I got it out of the package. Yes, there were occasions where you'd hear about a broken part or defect, but it was still quite rare. Hell, even some of those "defects" were actually remedied by adding fresh batteries. The only item I really ever faulted Mattel for was Stay Puft. The yellowing of the material they used was ridiculous. They did offer refunds, which is great, but mine didn't start yellowing until the refund period was over. Now he sits in his box and has been replaced by the DST 24" bank. The Mattel line also offered different options. You like 6" figures? They had them. You like figures that are in 1:6 scale? They had those too! You like to display figures to recreate various scenes? There are plenty of variants that will allow you to do so.

"Diamond Select"
Nice to finally have figures in scale to NECA's line! While I do wish the likenesses were a bit better, like Mattel's, you can still recognize who they're supposed to represent. I'll also note that likenesses really can look better in person! In some cases the paint can be a bit too rough and can vary from figure to figure. When I found Louis at TRU, one of them had streaks in the paint as if the entire figure had been hand painted. Other than that, I can't really complain as they do look good.

Broken parts!!! So many people have reported damages either when pulling them out of the package or when switching out hands. This is the most disappointing part of the line, but I suppose you get what you paid for. $25 for a solid figure and loads of accessories (and diorama parts) is too good to be true. Honestly, I think that the basic TRU figures should have been $25 while the Select figures should have been about $35. As it stands, this is an issue that makes me feel like these are more for the MISB kind of collector.

Both
Both have issues, both have appeals. The pack-in ghosts we got in the Mattel line offered us a little extra figure to display with our busters while the DST figures come with a diorama that our figures can be displayed on. Both add to display-ability. With that said, while I do appreciate the detail and work put in to the DST, I still have to side more with the Mattel line.
midmanc82 liked this
By featofstrength
Mattel's figures were great, it was the handling of the line in general the leaves the sour taste: subscription service fan blaming, subscription Rookie, $250 ecto blaming, no gozer, no terror dogs.

There's no excuse for DS breakage with the interchangeable hands. But hey, NECA is no saint in that department I'm my experience.
midmanc82 liked this
By Alex Newborn
This thread really needs some side-by-side comparison pics of the three characters that have been produced by both. Surely someone owns both lines and can do that? I only have the Matty's or I'd do it myself.

Alex
midmanc82 liked this
By Havoc0213
featofstrength wrote:Mattel's figures were great, it was the handling of the line in general the leaves the sour taste: subscription service fan blaming, subscription Rookie, $250 ecto blaming, no gozer, no terror dogs.

There's no excuse for DS breakage with the interchangeable hands. But hey, NECA is no saint in that department I'm my experience.
Yeah, the service was pretty crappy but I don't fault the children for the parents mistakes. I'll still buy the figures even though I don't care for the way the company handles their online department.

It is true that NECA had issues with parts breaking. These figures certainly aren't for children and need to be handled with a level of care, but it seems like the DS line requires an unreasonable amount of babying.
midmanc82 liked this
By midmanc82
All fantastic points guys, definitely interesting reading, I would have included NECA in the title if they had made past the first wave. Now I am a huge neca fan, I have a lot of their Alien and Predator figures, for me NECA are my favourite toy line, the only ones I've ever been slightly disappointed by are the Rocky figures they released, for me the only one that looked remotely like Stallone was the bruised and battered Rocky from the first film which was confusing given that their Rambo figures looked really good!

Anyway getting back on topic I only own 2 of the NECA Ghostbusters, I have Gozer and Zuul, both of which I love, especially the terror dog, even my girlfriend was impressed with that one and she just thinks I'm a massive geek lol.

I do already own a fair few DST toys, mainly their Marvel Select releases and for me this is where they seem to shine, their wolverine figure from the second solo film is amazing as are the ones like venom, green goblin etc. Now not actually having the DST ghostbusters in hand yet I've really been holding out on judging them but I will weigh in a little bit on what I've seen so far from watching some reviews on youtube.

Their Ray Stantz figure really does look amazing in likeness, I wasn't disappointed with the Matty one but it's clear to see which one has the better likeness, even from the pics on the net that have been floating about. I have been slightly worried about Winston though... I have been keeping a close eye on any news and pics that have been released since first announced and I have to say Mattel wins that round from what I can still see. Or at least in my head he does, I'm still trying to reserve judgement until I have this first wave in my hand. I think Alex hit the nail on the head, we need some side by side pics of both versions, I am pretty sure I've seen a couple on google somewhere but for now if anyone has the time to fire any up would be interesting to see.

I was also a little worried about DST Louis when I first saw his pic but now that he has his glasses, the pics I've seen don't look so bad, again would be unfair for me to slam it without seeing it in my hand so if anybody out there can send a pic comparing him to the mattel version would probably be the most interesting to check out.

From the threads I've seen on here I do believe that the bigger fan service is provided by DST, I do agree that the way Mattel handled their releases was shocking, as far as a toy company goes, without the Ghostbusters licence I have no reason to buy their stuff, although I do own and like some of their Dark Knight figures but am in no rush to complete the set, not like I have been for the GB line. I think in short, I will end up with both lines and at some point the rest of NECAs simply because it's Ghostbusters, I can hear the faint voice of my gf whispering "but they all look the same....." while I type this but as with most silly things she says, she gets ignored.

Gotta say though, that Gozer temple rooftop dio, that is a major selling point for me, it does look awesome so far and I do like what I can see of their version of Slimer, mainly because you can change the faces :) Is it nitpicky that the arms look a bit too bulky though?
By midmanc82
Alex Newborn wrote:This thread really needs some side-by-side comparison pics of the three characters that have been produced by both. Surely someone owns both lines and can do that? I only have the Matty's or I'd do it myself.

Alex
OK here are the 2 I found on google, is it me or does Winston look like he has a bit of a Hitler 'tache going on lol

Prob not the clearest of pics but interesting nonetheless, as soon as my DST figures arrive I will post clearer pics myself if nobody else has managed but by all means if any of you guys have them and the time, please do feel free to fire em up
By christphern
Havoc0213 wrote:It is true that NECA had issues with parts breaking. These figures certainly aren't for children and need to be handled with a level of care, but it seems like the DS line requires an unreasonable amount of babying.
I had to repair my Gozer figure which I bought second hand years ago. The hands had broken off before I received it, and I didn't get the normal hands with it, only the lightning ones. The other NECA GB figures seem fine, and I have all of the 7" scale line, as well as the 15" Stay Puft. Never had an issue from any of them. As for Gozer, as I bought it second hand, I can't vouch that it was broken during shipping or something. The person I bought it from could very well have just been careless with it and broke it before selling it. It was a pretty easy fix, though, so it wasn't that big of a deal.

The DST toys have broken in several ways, from reviews I've seen. And there are a ton of other QC problems. I mean, you can't properly hang the thrower on the pack, from the reviews I've seen, which is just ridiculous. They solved that problem on the toys 30 years ago. I also find it ridiculous that DST would be able to make streams attach just fine to their throwers for the Minimates line, but can't figure it out on the 7" scale figures.

My DST figures should be in on Monday, so I'll be uploading a review of all of them, including comparisons with the Mattel line and size comparisons with the NECA figures.
midmanc82 liked this
By midmanc82
christphern wrote:
The DST toys have broken in several ways, from reviews I've seen. And there are a ton of other QC problems. I mean, you can't properly hang the thrower on the pack, from the reviews I've seen, which is just ridiculous. They solved that problem on the toys 30 years ago. I also find it ridiculous that DST would be able to make streams attach just fine to their throwers for the Minimates line, but can't figure it out on the 7" scale figures.

My DST figures should be in on Monday, so I'll be uploading a review of all of them, including comparisons with the Mattel line and size comparisons with the NECA figures.
excellent points there, I have read similar complaints and watched a few reviews on youtube, I've also heard that they can be a bit hard to stand up.

Christphern, are you in the U.K by any chance? I'm trying to get an idea on when mine are gonna turn up as FP can't seem to give me a delivery date on my pre orders
By featofstrength
christphern wrote:
Havoc0213 wrote:It is true that NECA had issues with parts breaking. These figures certainly aren't for children and need to be handled with a level of care, but it seems like the DS line requires an unreasonable amount of babying.
I had to repair my Gozer figure which I bought second hand years ago. The hands had broken off before I received it, and I didn't get the normal hands with it, only the lightning ones. The other NECA GB figures seem fine, and I have all of the 7" scale line, as well as the 15" Stay Puft. Never had an issue from any of them. As for Gozer, as I bought it second hand, I can't vouch that it was broken during shipping or something. The person I bought it from could very well have just been careless with it and broke it before selling it. It was a pretty easy fix, though, so it wasn't that big of a deal.

My biggest beef with Neca though is the broken knee joint on my Keaton Batman. It was already bad enough it was a ridiculous Warner ebay/TRU exlusive, then to have it break and be irreplaceable?

My Gozer broke at the wrist peg on one of the lightning hands. Cheap clear plastic. Just like the broken leg on my Funko Rocketeer. At least DC Collectibles made clear joint breakage right on their Animated Batman line, sending out tested replacements free of charge and changing plastic quality in future/revision waves.
By christphern
I have the Rocketeer figure, and haven't had any issues with that one. I will say that the DC animated line is still crap with breakage (and articulation). I bought the Batgirl figure a month or so ago, and the two part grapple gun she comes with snapped at the connection point. Add to that there's no way for the figure to hold it, and it's a pointless, easily broken accessory.
By Havoc0213
Having joints like the knee and elbow break is definitely unfortunate. When it comes to parts that are meant to be swapped, like heads and hands, thin little plastic pegs should be replaces with something more durable like metal pins.

Thanks in advance for the review, christphern. I'm looking forward to a more in depth look at these since I'm too afraid to open mine. Well, maybe not afraid, more like I'd like to be confident that I'm keeping them before I open them up lol.

There is one thing that I think DST did absolutely right, and that would be releasing the four busters along with Dana and Louis right from the beginning. If the line tanks (not saying it will) we'll at least have the perfect characters to go with the NECA set.
By Havoc0213
Are they actually supposed to be removable? I think I remember reading on the other thread that the straps broke while attempting to remove it, but I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be part of the design. The removal part, I mean...
By christphern
The peg that attaches the straps has a chance of breaking as you remove it. I can't say if that's because it's glued or if it's just shoddy craftsmanship, given the rest of the figure. Might be a QC problem that needs to be sorted out on that. But, no, I don't think they're supposed to be removable. Honestly, unless they release a car or firehouse, I'm not too concerned with removable packs, anyway. I mean, there really aren't a whole lot of display options without the packs.

*edit: Now there's a thought. You know what would have been better than a rooftop diorama? An Ecto build-a-vehicle. Maybe that could be an idea for series 2.

If they can sort out the myriad of problems with this line, it has potential. That said, if they do, I may have to make a revamp of my apartment investigation Venkman figure, come to think of it. Might grab an extra Venkman and Peck when they hit TRU.
midmanc82 liked this
By Croker
Havoc0213 wrote:Are they actually supposed to be removable? I think I remember reading on the other thread that the straps broke while attempting to remove it, but I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be part of the design. The removal part, I mean...
Yeah, I'm sure Zach said on the other thread that the packs weren't meant to be removed.
By gold333
weepel wrote:Does anyone else kind of think they have chicken legs or something. Their torsos are wide and seem way too short and their legs look long and skinny.
The suits are meant to be loose fitting everywhere else but look like they are pulled up or are made of lycra in the croth region. I think you're right, the modelers should have done that better.
By weepel
I agree gold333 they they look like they have major wedgies. It's because their pelvis' aren't very long. I was looking at the gbii DVD cover with Egon, Peter, and Ray and Rays outfit definitely hangs down more in the groin. It looks like that's the only place it clings on these figures. Not only that, but I was looking at my other action figures and even characters with tight clothes like batman Spider-Man still have long pelvis'.
By CaptCyan
Alex Newborn wrote:This thread really needs some side-by-side comparison pics of the three characters that have been produced by both. Surely someone owns both lines and can do that? I only have the Matty's or I'd do it myself.

Alex
Here you go.

Side and back of Ray to see the equipment a bit better.

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]