By Dan Shannon
i posted this back on asap many years ago as well as talked to a couple of others afterwords and never actually got a response back from anyone.

Now, I have a basic idea on how the toy trap works - It's a forced air pneumatic system, but made from shitty cheap plastic. i was curious if anyone actually dissected a toy trap to figure out how it worked.

any help would kick ass.
By TankHammer
Easy. I was able to figure this out as a child so I'm not sure how you're confused about it.

The "pedal" is like a balloon. It's a semi-rigid plastic/rubber that will return to it's original shape after it's been stepped-on.

Think of it like a juice-box I guess. When you squeeze a juice box it forces the contents (in this case: juice, in the toy: air) out of the container.

The chord of the ghost-trap toy was just a hollow tube, so if you stepped on the trap hard-enough the air would be forced through the tube and into the trap, where the gust of air-pressure was usually enough to pop the doors open on their cheap, little hinges.

I remember my toy would either get jammed in the 'open' position or would slam shut too quickly to toss the little toy ghost into it.

I hope I've been clear.

short answer: Squeeze rubber "pedal", air goes through tube to trap, air pushes trap doors open, gravity closes them (sometimes).
By Dan Shannon
it would only pop open for a second? what a load.
By zeta otaku
It depended a lot on three things 1) The pedal's condition 2) the force used to press on the pedal 3) the kid

A short story, but, my friend and I were heavy into ghostbusters (duh) as kids and we both had traps. His pedal was very stiff and would take a LOT of force to stomp down on. Here, the trap only opened for a second before slamming shut. Mine, on the other hand, had a bit more give and depending how hard you stepped on it, you could really manipulate how the trap opened. With some practice, I figured out how to make it so one stomp would open the trap and leave the doors open and a second stomp would close it... usually ;) The problem was that the rubber for the pedal wasn't uniform and some pedals would dry out and crack. Mine was sold at a garage sale before it really dried out, but it always worked great.
By Tralan
I repainted mine for my own costume. In doing so, I took the doors off so I wouldn't get paint on them. They're re-attached, but they won't open anymore. I they are most likely out of the sockets that held them in place. Bummer, but I had no intentions of using it anyway. Just for show on the costume.
By realghosthunters
Dan Shannon wrote:it would only pop open for a second? what a load.
From what i've seen on a few videos, the doors would stay open for as long as your foot was on the pedal. Don't take this as an actual piece of info because I don't have one myself. :whatever: I'll update you if i get one.
By Bruenor Odinson
Yep, as long as your foot is on the pedal it should stay open. Mine does.
As long as I kept the pedal pressed down hard the doors stayed open, and thats with the magnet inside the doors which works the lights.

Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]