Tada! The pack itself is now as done as I have time and money for. I know it's not totally screen-accurate but it does have really good lighting! For raiding The Dollar Tree store, I dont think it's half bad?

-Brady
Last edited by Bradester on November 12th, 2006, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJ Quick, Reppert7, evlares liked this
By prototype7
Brady, I more than agree. For dollar tree parts that thing is excellent! That's the kind of creativity I like seeing in the prop community. Using what you have and comming out with something that really looks good!
I bet alot of people would be interested in a parts and price list from that build this close to halloween!
Like I said, your pack is awesome! But I do have one tip for you. I noticed you used ide cable from a computer instead of ribbon cable. If you have any craft stores around your area like Michaels or something like that I think I've found a decent substitute for ribbon wire. Go to the bead and bracelet making section... they have this nylon cord for making bracelets and necklaces... it comes in every single color of the rainbow and even has some that are multi-colored... in my opinion those look best! It's thinner than regular wire but you can't tell unless you get up on it and look hard. Just get enough colors, double them up and twist them to make the cable. That's what I'm using on my pack which I will post pictures of as soon as I start to put it together!
Great work again by the way! You didn't happen to build a dollar tree thrower did you?
Last edited by prototype7 on October 1st, 2006, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By irricanian
Excellent job! For a Dollar store pack that is amazing, great use of found items. What did it cost you total, I'm sure alot of last minute Halloween builders would love a materials list like prototype7 suggested.

This is what scratch building is all about! 8)

Well done!

Irri

P.S Do you have a thrower yet?
By Bradester
A Thrower? Why yes, it's a combination Dollar Tree and Star Wars blaster gun that shoots Silly String! Its not done yet, but it will have pics. It should be around $20 total.

-Brady

prototype7 wrote: Brady, I more than agree. For dollar tree parts that thing is excellent! That's the kind of creativity I like seeing in the prop community. Using what you have and comming out with something that really looks good!
I bet alot of people would be interested in a parts and price list from that build this close to halloween!
Like I said, your pack is awesome! But I do have one tip for you. I noticed you used ide cable from a computer instead of ribbon cable. If you have any craft stores around your area like Michaels or something like that I think I've found a decent substitute for ribbon wire. Go to the bead and bracelet making section... they have this nylon cord for making bracelets and necklaces... it comes in every single color of the rainbow and even has some that are multi-colored... in my opinion those look best! It's thinner than regular wire but you can't tell unless you get up on it and look hard. Just get enough colors, double them up and twist them to make the cable. That's what I'm using on my pack which I will post pictures of as soon as I start to put it together!
Great work again by the way! You didn't happen to build a dollar tree thrower did you?
By prototype7
Very cool! You should get some pics of the pack on with the lights! I also wanted to ask what you did about your straps... are they attatched to an alice pack or did you use something else.
And way to go on the thrower... I know exactly which blaster you're talking about... that would make some good parts.
I'm very impressed!
By Bradester
The pack is attached to an actual Alice frame I got off Ebay for $8 including shipping! The Star Wars gun also came off of Ebay, and came with 7 extra cans of Silly String, for only $14 including shipping!

I also got a free white station wagon off Craigs List for an Ectomobile! Its like it was meant to happen!

-Brady
By Nothus
Haha, $20? I think I've spent that on paint alone. Very nice job. What did you use for lighting? I'm currently trying to find some cheap lighting as I'm making 3 packs and don't want to fork over the $400 I'm guessing it would cost to light em up with the kits people offer here.
By Bradester
The 4 blinking lights at the base of the pack are from Fred Meyers / Krogers. It is a Halloween orange or chrome, round strobe light thing you put in a carved pumpkin! It cost like $4 and just has a red film over it!

The vertical light in the upper left corner of the pack, is also from Fred Meyer / Kroger. Its an LED light you wear while jogging, and it has this really cool pattern that it does. It was on sale for $4! The LEDS are green, but I used a blue piece of plastic from a Dollar Tree pencil box to defuse the light and color!

Here is the pumpkin light:

Click here for a cell phone video of all the lights in action for proof it can be done cheap!:
http://home.teleport.com/~bgage/gb/light2.mov

-Brady

Sorry for all the !!!'s. Im just excited.
Last edited by Bradester on October 1st, 2006, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By doctorwho_03
Can you post a pic of the jogging LED thing for us? I might try that in my powercell and I'd like to see what to look for.

Awesome pack, by the way. :D
By Bradester
Here is a pic. Sorry it's bad, but the thing is reflective and my camera doesnt like it.

This is the jogging light. They come in green, red, yellow, clear and blue. The color of the case *does not* corrispond with the color of the leds. All the ones I played with had green or red leds, despite having a blue casing.

The black thing behind the light is just a black square piece of plastic with velcro on it, as that is how it stays in my Pack. No need to run wires, it just pops in and out as needed.

The thing is crazy bright! So it may be best to defuse the lights with some transparent plastic and sanding on the lens to make it blurry. Thats what I did.

-Brady
By GB Ty
How in the name of ghostbusters :shock: Thats realy great! :wink:
By Bradester
Here is how :-) Looks best when Right-Clicked Save As to your computer:

Or click here: http://home.teleport.com/~bgage/gb/howto.jpg
Last edited by Bradester on October 11th, 2006, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJ Quick, GBNoobAddy01 liked this
By Radar
That pack is nothing short of amazing! 8):shock:

I have one tiny, and I do mean TINY suggestion: add a few more labels. That's one thing you can do that will really set this pack off. Best part of all is that they'll only set you back the cost of a sheet of paper and some ink! Here's a link to a PDF file of all the labels used in the movie, just make sure you print them at 100% or they'll come out the wrong size: http://www.hprops.com/labels
By Bradester
It's actually only missing the blue label that goes on the bumper bar, which I will print tomorrow when the boss isnt looking :-)

The yellow label that is suppose to be towards the middle of the pack near the hose, I actually put on the silver thing below where the hose goes into the pack; which makes it look kind like a huge fuse :-)
By malcolmhoaz
now that is amazing. This is some good work to be shown. kudos, and now, I want tons of pics that show the thrower :twisted::twisted::twisted:
By Bradester
It's not done yet :-) I still have that and the car to finish.

malcolmhoaz wrote: now that is amazing. This is some good work to be shown. kudos, and now, I want tons of pics that show the thrower :twisted::twisted::twisted:
By fifth_beatle
Duuuuuddddeee. Rock out with your c*ck out.

That is ingenuity at its best. And I think you have given a lot of people hope on this board. Next time they whine "I can't build a pro-ton pack...wah," we'll just go, "Hey look at Bradester's. Now, shut up."

Seriously....amazing.
~5B
By secrecyguy
Wow! I am impressed!

Just using all the parts from the Dollar Store, it came very close to the real thing.

I have to start working on my pack!

I was planning to make a cheap pack and make it as accurate as possible but I think you beat me to it!

Excellent job! I give you a thumbs up!
By Bradester
Thanks! I think the thing that sets it off is the $7 lighting. Things are always more fun when they are animated somehow. The pack also now has a looping "humming" sound effect from the movie via an mp3 player and speaker placed inside the bottom where the red lights are. That was fun to add.

fifth_beatle wrote: Duuuuuddddeee. Rock out with your c*ck out.

That is ingenuity at its best. And I think you have given a lot of people hope on this board. Next time they whine "I can't build a pro-ton pack...wah," we'll just go, "Hey look at Bradester's. Now, shut up."

Seriously....amazing.
~5B
By prototype7
Just wondering if you had any pictures of this proton gun?! I'm anxious to see.
By Bradester
No.... not yet. After this weekend I will post some. I still have that and the car to finish.

prototype7 wrote: Just wondering if you had any pictures of this proton gun?! I'm anxious to see.
By prototype7
Car??? you're not making a dollar store ecto are you?! :o
By Lazarus182
Wow, thank you. You just gave me so many ideas for my pack, hope you don't mind if I used some.
By Bradester
Actually.... yes. A Home Depot and Dollar Tree car. Im nuts eh?

-Brady

prototype7 wrote: Car??? you're not making a dollar store ecto are you?! :o
By Andy_2_cool
Ah that's so cool !
What is the total price that you spent on it ?
By Bradester
Around $40, including lights!
Andy_2_cool wrote: Ah that's so cool !
What is the total price that you spent on it ?
By Lazarus182
I actually found those pumpkin lights you used, I bought three, cause two of my friends are making packs as well. I was just wondering if you rigged up anything to turn the light on on the outside of the pack, or if you just remove it to do so.
By Bradester
The whole light unit is hot-glued in place. The back of my pack has two square doors cut out of it, that are held in place with Velcro; one for the pumpkin light and one for the jogging light. When I want to turn the lights on, I just pull the door off, flip and switch and set the door back in place.

No need to run wires or switches or battery packs or anything. Just two hidden trap doors.
Lazarus182 wrote: I actually found those pumpkin lights you used, I bought three, cause two of my friends are making packs as well. I was just wondering if you rigged up anything to turn the light on on the outside of the pack, or if you just remove it to do so.
By Lazarus182
Ah, very simple. Thanks, I probably wouldn't have thought of that on my own, would have tried something much more complicated and wouldn't have turned out well.
By Bradester
Here is the beginnings of my modified Star Wars Silly String Shooting Blaster, which will be used for the base of the Thrower. I love Dremmel tools.

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]