hi
ok i have been researching on these forums since nov/dec 09 aquiaring info and tips on how to build a proton pack
i decided to go with building the gun 1st as its a smaller feat

1st off id like to thank redspecial who helped me out in awnsering all my questions and gave great advice.
thanks mate ;)
also thanks to colin from MMM

so here it is my 1st ever build thread
i went with MMMs gun kit which is awesome btw, i cant compare it to others as its the only one iv worked with
colin did a little work on it (at my request) before shipping it to me.. i needed all the holes drilled and tapped he also fitted the base plate and sloblo box so it gave me a good start... thanks for that 1 colin ;)
DAY 1
first off i gave all the parts a light sand with a low grade sandpaper cleaned them all down free of dust etc..
and i decided to glue everything down 1st that needed glueing for this i used Devcon plastic weld 2 pack epoxy
that stuff is concrete when it hardens you get around 6 min of work time with it. its ideal

so i glued on the knobs on the left of the gun box they were previously marked out which does help,
then i glued on the heat sink and short tube at the front (sorry i forget the name) next to the front gun handle

then i decided to fit the switch box (i was dreading this bit) as you can probly tell from all the error holes
i needed it to clear the knob underneath and also be reachable for button activation,
when i finally found the correct position i drilled 2 holes and mounted it with the 2 supplied pins
i put 1 of the pins futher up the box as ther will be alot of downward thrust on that box so i wanted it to be secure it also acts as a stopper for the green leaver
it fitted perfect

i then decided to fit the rear gun handle so i put the tube in marked the extra inside the gun box and cut away at the tube. this has various benefits 1st of all you cant see the tube through the vents and 2nd it gives you more room inside the gun box (a tip i picked up on another build thread)
you can also see the pin from the switch box
i used the devcon plastic weld for this also, did the job no probs

and that pretty much wrapped up the 1st day (i was constantly waiting for glue to dry lol)

DAY 2
it was FREEZING so i had to resort to the kitchen table lol
1st thing was to fit the front handle so it was the same technique as the 1st

then i drilled all the holes for the knobs and test fitted them

then i plastic welded the back gun handle

the front handel i was originally gonna just hot glue it on as i thought i would need to remove it eventually to run the wire up for the light on the ear however i decided to weld it so im just gonna run the wires up the edge of the handel
you shouldnt really notice it

was really starting to come together

then it was ready for priming... back to the garden shed... dont forget you mask lol

for the priming i used simoniz acylic primer gave it a nice smooth look. i did the gun and all parts

kitchen table shot come on you all do it lol
and that completed day 2

DAY 3 was just gonna be painting again so i gave it 2 good coats of simoniz silver alloy wheel paint it looked awesome once done i also did all the knobs etc with it
gave it 1 coat 1st thing in morning and another later in the afternoon.
i then took it all indoors to dry in the warmth and for the night

DAY4
more painting lol sorry i didnt take any photos of painting it black..
all i did was i gave the silver a very light sand to give it a key for the black paint to grab
i used simoniz satin matt black
i gave it a good coat 1st thing and all the other bits etc and then another coat around 4 in the afternoon then let it dry
indoors. it just looked superb i couldnt beleive the lovely finish it looked like it just come off egons work bench lol
to be honest i forgot to take pics and didnt realize untill i was fitting the stickers lol
so i fitted all the silver knobs and stickers etc and it really was looking alive (i cannot wait to get lights in it)

the final things were fitting the green and red cables oh and the clippard valve
i had some spare bronze paint (i use it on my lightsabers) so i touched up the threads on the clippard valve really looks the biz

and there it is my 90% finished proto gun (needs electrics) please note (kitchen table shot lol)

months of research and emails etc
tons of questions
4 days in the making,
did i enjoy it? hell yeah every min
am i happy with it? absofrigginlutely

the whole process wasnt hickup free i drilled 1 or 2 wrong holes here and there and i noticed while inspecting it i missed a corner with paint..
will have to get out the touch up brush for that 1.. ahh well
next the pack build cant wait for that lol will be starting it next week

any1 thinking of building a gun or pack GO FOR IT ive loved every min doing this gun and seeing it come together its fun lol i never would have thought in a million yr that i could do anything like this
steve
aka slime me please

thanks to all who helped;)
Last edited by slime me please on March 15th, 2010, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GBelite liked this
cheers ther RED
seriously i feel like 10yr old again lol cant stop looking at it and thinking WOW
some one said on these forums thers a special feeling when you finally hold your own home made thrower
for the 1st time...its an understatement.. its an awesome feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction and i cant wait to get the pack started
By exo95er
Wow! Very impressive! I would've stopped you on day one and told you to wash the parts in soap and warm water first.

Nonetheless, you made it! You'll find the pack a whole lot easier to do after working on the gun. Good luck!
to kind2311
yeah i tried it way back ther and i couldnt reach the switch box with my thumb so it would have been foolish of me to put it there
the position its currently in is perfect for comfort
mabey not 100% accurate lol but comfortable to use...

cheers MMM
thanks kingping yeah i managed to pick up some red persplex on ebay really cheap... i did pick up the gun kit he was selling tho ;)

@NHVenknam... i dont actually have the light kit yet but what i did was drill a hole from the trigger box right through to the sloblo box just where the red light goes i plan on running the wires through ther
i just hope the hole is large enough for the 2 wires
its a great kit from MMM
no probs nice to be of help...

if ther was 1 thing id change about the MMM kit its the gun ear id preffer it to be a whole part instead of 2 parts (similar to throwingchickens)
i just know its gonna pop off at some point as its only glued on and thers a button to go on ther too so thers gonna be a bit of downwards thrust on it... thers not really any other option other than to glue it on but a whole part would be better

@colin (MMM) mabey a possible upgrade for your next gun kit revision
I've been thinking about it, and it could be possible to screw a threaded bolt into the Ear, so it could then be screwed into the barrel, giving it a bit of extra strength. Additionally, this could then act as something to hold the barrel lights in place, if Exoray's kit is being used.
good idea kingping... and just adding to that how about screwing it into the hand grip? 2 even
you would need about an inch and a half set screw and a thin 1 at that but it would add strength
hmmm i may look around for a thin 1 1/2" set screw

looking at my gun i dont think id be able to do so now as i wouldnt be able to get the drill in ther to drill a straight hole
but mabey for future builds or if it does pop off i could drill it
slime me please wrote:no probs nice to be of help...

if ther was 1 thing id change about the MMM kit its the gun ear id preffer it to be a whole part instead of 2 parts (similar to throwingchickens)
i just know its gonna pop off at some point as its only glued on and thers a button to go on ther too so thers gonna be a bit of downwards thrust on it... thers not really any other option other than to glue it on but a whole part would be better

@colin (MMM) mabey a possible upgrade for your next gun kit revision
I epoxy mine on and drill small anchoring holes in the tube and the part to give extra hold, I've never had a problem with an ear coming off. I also use Apoxy sculpt to put fake welds on which give a little extra hold.

You can also cross drill and put a rod thru the tube that protrudes out each side and drill holes in the ears to attach them to the pin, you would need to have your barrel lights and clear tip installed before doing it this way though.

As for changing it....I prefer to have it in two parts in case it does get damaged you don't need to replace the whole thing. I made the slo blo/ rear cylinder and the gun tip/collar one piece for ease of installation on my last upgrade as well as adding brass inserts to the gun box so I'm always making changes for the better.
hi ok i got my exoray delux gun kit.. its superb heres how i fitted the kit...

ok first up i fitted the switches on the trigger box i needed to widen the inside of the holes so the threaded part was clear i used a dremel sanding stone that i was able to put in my drill did the job fine and the switches fitted fine

however the was quite a bit of wire sticking out of the back of the trigger box so i heated it with a hairdryer so it would easily bend which it did (cheers to kingping for mentioning that) i also bored out a bit of the resin of the back door
it fitted nicely once done

i then decided to tackle the bargraph now to say this was a job in itself is an understatement to get those pins in the holes was nigh on impossible as you have to do it blind almost

with a bit of fiddeling and skill eventually it went in... nah to hell it was pure luck that it went in lol
it took me around an hr of messing with it before i got it to fit i also had to trim a little resin as it was a bit too tight

next was the fitting of the 2 switches next to the bargraph all i had to do was widen the inside of the holes so the threaded part was clear, i used the dremel sanding stone again

then i decided to fit the switch and light on the gun ear

test fitted them and did a bit of hole widening and they went in nice

for the wires i used heatshrink wrap to hold the 2 wires together tightly, it worked great

i used a lighter to heat it to shrink wrap it i then painted it with the paint i used for my gun

and i used hot glue to hold it down its nice and tight and you dont notice it when holding

then it was time to run the trigger box wires and sloblo led wire through the hole, it was a breeze

by this time it was getting rather packed in ther

for all the leds i used a tiny blob of hot glue just to hold them in place and then hot glued the led covers in place
the 2 leds that illuminate the vent i managed to find 2 very small tortch parts and was able to use them to enhance the glare in the gun body.
it looks awesome just like in the movies really bright

the barrel light and vibrator motors went in the front gun handel im rather suprised at how the entire gun rumbles
very good indeed..
by the time i had everything in it was really tight and i had to force the pcb in ther was just enough room

and here it is my finished proton thrower...

exoray does an awesome kit im so pleased with it... and just as i was finishing up i had a parcel through the door

it was only my exoray pack light kit :)

i will be fitting that to my pack tomorrow....

final thoughts...
ther was very little modding of the gun, all i had to do was widen the holes for the switches and file a little for the bargraph, i do wish the bargraph was a little easier to fit but i got ther in the end.
it took me a good half a day to fit but the result is well worth it
next job is to fit my pack light kit and wire through the gun switch to activate the pack lights(delux gun kit extra)

and then i want SOUND!!! lol
Thanks for updating to cover your light installation. I'm going to be covering the same ground when I build my second Gun in the next few months, and seeing someone's successful efforts with the same kit is great reference to work from.

What reference gave you your handle/barrel measurements?
slime me please wrote:i then decided to tackle the bargraph now to say this was a job in itself is an understatement to get those pins in the holes was nigh on impossible as you have to do it blind almost
Oh joy...

Did you attach the vibrator motor to anything, or is it loose inside the front barrel?

Fantastic work, and thanks for posting it. :)
Kingpin wrote:Thanks for updating to cover your light installation. I'm going to be covering the same ground when I build my second Gun in the next few months, and seeing someone's successful efforts with the same kit is great reference to work from.

What reference gave you your handle/barrel measurements?
slime me please wrote:i then decided to tackle the bargraph now to say this was a job in itself is an understatement to get those pins in the holes was nigh on impossible as you have to do it blind almost
Oh joy...

Did you attach the vibrator motor to anything, or is it loose inside the front barrel?

Fantastic work, and thanks for posting it. :)
thanks kingping
i had just assumed that the barrel lights would fit i didnt have any reference
the barrel light is just sitting loose but it cant really move anywhere so its all good.

the rumble motors are also just sitting loose behind the barrel led. you can feel the whole gun vibrate which supprised me
its all so tight in ther that nothing really has any room to move if i could change something it would be
the vent area as you can see all the wires tightly packed i could have put something in ther but i didnt think about it when doing so and i really dont want to open it up again if poss..... ever!! lol

cheers quietontheset
Kingpin wrote:I was actually referring to how much of each barrel was fitted into the Gun Box and how much stuck out, not the barrel lights. :)
i see lol.... thers a pic of exactly how far in they went a few clicks up this thread near the top...
to be honest it inserted them as far as they would go it seemed to be correct anyway
:)

cheers gaval
it certanly is gb stantz its an awesome kit
and to add to that i just finished installing the exoray light kit in my pack
i will post a link here once i upload it all
i was hoping id never have to open the gun again but apparently when exoray releases his sound kit you need to run a wire from the gun to the pack for the sound activation ... man my gun is so tightly packed im not looking forward to it
Matty PKE Question...URGENT

Good morning everyone! I have a local toy colle[…]

Positron Props GB1 Pack Build

Awesome!! Good luck on your build! Tom's shell i[…]

Trailer posted for release for the Frozen Empire u[…]

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]