By keoni
if you havent read the comic, here is a pic of the new pack

and here is the pic of what I made

eventually I will change the tubing to that neon green and I will be adding lights. Im also trying to figure out how I want to change the color scheme of it a bit so it isnt so plain.

here are some more pics from the WW: Chicago Con
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... b857521511
By SlimeGuy
Okay first off, that rocks!

Second, how did you do it? Is that all primer grey or is it a resin shell that you made?

Third, does the barrel extend as well?

Fourth, is there any way I can get the measurements you used?

Fifth... I hate you.
By Screwhead
The idea is awesome, but it looks kinda way too big.. the "bottom" of the pack should come to just above your elbow, and we should be able to see your hand sticking out of the front...

Good job on at least getting something done though! I thought it was cool when I saw it in the comic but totally don't think I could ever build one!
By keoni
SlimeGuy wrote:Second, how did you do it? Is that all primer grey or is it a resin shell that you made?
actually, its a dark gray paint by Valspar
SlimeGuy wrote:Third, does the barrel extend as well?
no it doesnt; though that would be a killer feature, I dont plan on doing it... that wand in itself was a major pain in the ass
SlimeGuy wrote:Fourth, is there any way I can get the measurements you used?
yes, I will eventually get some measurements up for everyone; though they do need to be shortened up a bit.
SlimeGuy wrote:Fifth... I hate you.
HAHAHAHA... Im okay with that! LOL
Screwhead wrote:The idea is awesome, but it looks kinda way too big.. the "bottom" of the pack should come to just above your elbow, and we should be able to see your hand sticking out of the front...
yeah, it is a little too big. I used the smallest cake pan I could find on such short notice, which was a 9", (I decided Sunday evening to make this for Con on Thursday... had it finished in three days) and built the rest accordingly. so as for the being too long thing, I have a C-clamp (like the one on the booster frame of the proton pack) screwed into the back of it which is hooked to the vest; I need to lower that a bit cause it was causing movement issues where it was sitting. and yes, the wand should be further back on the hand; but hey, o'well, it works for me. lol

________

THANKS FOR ALL THE COMMENTS EVERYONE!!!

I will be posting the few production pics that I did take... eventually that is.
By Chace
Good to see another shoulder mounted buster on the scene. One of our members (Hal Clay) made one in 2 days from stuff lying around the house. The part that impressed me though was he rigged lights for it too! And the funny thing is he STILL hasnt read the comic, he was just going off that same schematic pic.

By Gareee
I really like this design, and both executions are interesting.

The first one looks like it is just primer gray, and it needs to be flat black, IMHO, weathered just like a standard pack. Use the acrylic paint in a clear pvc tube trick for the neon green tubing. I actually scored some st patty's day green flashing necklaces that could light up something like that easily. Maybe you could find a few of those, or keep you eye out for an upgrade next year. (Big Lots had them.)

You might want to do the bumper and various parts in semi gloss black to add some visual variety. Also maybe get some split loom to replace the rubber hose? The later one looks closer.. maybe use that as an additional reference?

Now let me use my critical eye to see what differences I can spot that might help them...

The only thing I see really off on both of these is the size... the cyclotron should be just a tad larger then shoulder muscle size.. but both builds used 9" cake pans, it looks like. Both upper portions extend past the elbow, and the diagram shows it ending before the elbow. That should also make them more comfortable to wear. Clay's thrower looks large, but its just because the gloves sort of blend in with the thrower colors.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing these make an appearance in GB3.. not as a main replacement for our beloved classic packs, but maybe as items being worked on by egon on a table somewhere, or maybe used in a test scene, where they are not yet ready for use and they need to revert back to the classic packs.

I haven't seen the comic either, but there is enough of the classic look there to be appealing.

I would think the weight would make them slip down the arm, without some type of shoulder harness cobbled up for them. Do they stay put when worn for a period of time?

These are one of the coolest things I've seen made for quite some time!

By keoni
Gareee wrote:I really like this design, and both executions are interesting.

The first one looks like it is just primer gray, and it needs to be flat black, IMHO, weathered just like a standard pack.

again, it is a dark gray paint, not primer; and in the comic it is a dark gray color with black shadowing. I need to figure out something on that.
Gareee wrote: I actually scored some st patty's day green flashing necklaces that could light up something like that easily. Maybe you could find a few of those, or keep you eye out for an upgrade next year. (Big Lots had them.)
dude... AWESOME IDEA
Gareee wrote:You might want to do the bumper and various parts in semi gloss black to add some visual variety. Also maybe get some split loom to replace the rubber hose? The later one looks closer.. maybe use that as an additional reference?
looks like we both used split loom.
Gareee wrote:I would think the weight would make them slip down the arm, without some type of shoulder harness cobbled up for them. Do they stay put when worn for a period of time?
I had mine attached to the tactical vest I was wearing; Chace, what kept his up?? I dont know about Clay, but mine kept rotating backwards on my arm, not sure how to combat that one
By Gareee
Again, it is a dark gray paint, not primer; and in the comic it is a dark gray color with black shadowing. I need to figure out something on that.
Keep in mind that they change the color of things in comics to make them more visible.. it they used a black pack with black detail, you obviously couldn't see anything. I'd go with something like the original proton packs mainly to have a more similar appearance. Though the design is radical, there is a lot of throw back to the original source material.

Its really more a personal preference than anything else, IMHO.
I had mine attached to the tactical vest I was wearing; Chace, what kept his up?? I dont know about Clay, but mine kept rotating backwards on my arm, not sure how to combat that one
Only thing I can think of is a "Ash" like strappy thing.
By Gareee
That cd case idea looks about the right size to my eye. You could probably countersink the base of it, and thenjust add a base lip to it made from mdf, or even foamcore.
By Chace
keoni wrote: I had mine attached to the tactical vest I was wearing; Chace, what kept his up?? I dont know about Clay, but mine kept rotating backwards on my arm, not sure how to combat that one
His kept rotating too. If you look in the comic there's a frame or two where you can see that they have a diagonal strap across their chests to hold the side of the pack up.
By keoni
that strap is in every frame with the pack; though I thought it seems a little impractical that that one strap would hold it there... but thats comics for ya.

but how did HE keep his up Chace? or did he do the strap and he just doesnt have it on in the pic?
By keoni
enchanted unicorn wrote:yes, yes, this is all well and good, but can you eat a large taco while wearing it?
actually... yeah. the wand can hang off the belt just like the original one does leaving both hands free to eat a large taco
By Filandrius
I don't want to be a troll here, but I don't like that design one bit. I simply don't understand how that "pack" would be an improvement over the classic one. Sure, modern means miniaturized, but the weird over-the-arm thing would be impractical to say the least.

Nice builds, though. :)
By zeta otaku
well, even in the comic, Egon explained that they would have less power than the standard proton pack. Egon threw them together from a comment Winston made about the destructive side effects the full sized proton packs made in smaller spaces like apartments.
By Screwhead
zeta otaku wrote:Egon threw them together from a comment Winston made about the destructive side effects the full sized proton packs made in smaller spaces like apartments.
And Ray STILL wrecked the flowers! :D
By EctoDeath
Makes sense that over time there'd be different packs or "weapons" for different situations, but I think that designing such stuff is a really tricky business. I'm not really sure how I feel about the Tainted Love pack design, although it looks like it might be a fun prop to build, it just doesn't seem practical even as a "less powerful" weapon for confined spaces.

Looks neat as a prop though, good job replicating it. :)
By FeinDTacticS
those arm packs are awesome!!! I could imagine these being the standard as technology made everything smaller..
By salgood
Hah, wow, crazy. so do you guys mind if i post some of these on my site?

Ok, stuff you guys are talking about got me thinking, did a new side view, showing the part of the mount that conforms to the upper arm, and some notes about what sort of harness might work and what i had in mind when i drew it.

link for the printable one. http://www.flickr.com/photos/salgood/50 ... 9/sizes/o/

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]