By Lobosmedic
Hey I just thought I'd share this thought with everybody. With the spread of the professional paranormal eliminators, franchise and region specific patches have been a hot item. This made me think of the unit patches in the military and the use of combat patches.

I thought it would make sense that since we are part of the 'national franchise' to wear both our unit/region patch and the national franchise or GB patch as a command patch. GB 1 the patch is worn on the right sleeve, and since we all bust ghosts as GB's (same franchise) keep it on the right, unity in combat.

Wear the local/unit/regional patch on the left, hence a command patch, whaddya think?
By BCarn
The problem here is that franchises with their logo patch being the same size as the standard no-ghost ( a majority of people with custom patches) would either have to put the patch over top of the left arm pockets; which I feel looks sloppy.

Your only other alternative is to put it above the pocket.Then your patches are going to be uneven (your franchise higher than the corporate patches) or if you move the franchise logo, then your patches are going to sit very high and that'll be pretty noticeable when you're wearing elbow pads.
By Lobosmedic
The Roach On Twelve wrote:Why are we always trying to'military up' the GB uniform?
No that wasn't the purpose, just looking for a way to display local pride and a national franchise connection. I guess being recognized as a GB should be good enough, lol. But they were military flightsuits and belts :wink:
No, in the past we have had all kinds of people trying to militarize the GB uniform.

I believe now someone actually wears ACU with GB patches. :roll:

This is why most franchises have adopted to design the franchise patches in the essence of the regular no ghost.
That way it is easily identifiable, and still has your home town pride.
By keoni
Chad (guardian) has it like that

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3 ... 0865060962

then again, we're also bad GB fans cause we dont wear leg hoses or elbow pads and go for the accurate, authentic look... oh, and we have the BDU alternates too which is inappropriate
By Some_Guy
Who said anything about accuracy? We're talking about why people are trying to make something militarized that obviously isn't.

That picture right there demonstrates how sloppy that patch placement looks. Even OVER the pocket it looks sloppy. Something like that would either be a hassle to sew or iron on, or need to be reattached constantly.

It just looks silly and is completely unneeded.

Accuracy has nothing to do with it.

A FORUM HEAVY HAS SPOKEN.
By exo95er
The Roach On Twelve wrote:I believe now someone actually wears ACU with GB patches. :roll:
Say what?!? :sigh:
By Fifthrider
I'm 100% with Roach and Some_Guy. If you want to belong to some paramilitary costume battalion go join the 501st or the Stargate guys, or Starfleet or any of a dozen other rank-based costumers. Keep your rank off of the GB flightsuit.

I know what's slowly been ruining this hobby for me over the years. Everyone is trying to "make it theirs." Everyone is trying to rewrite and rebrand Ghostbusters to become a product of them. It's insanely ego-driven. I'd rather just honor it for what it is.
Some_Guy wrote:
That picture right there demonstrates how sloppy that patch placement looks. Even OVER the pocket it looks sloppy. Something like that would either be a hassle to sew or iron on, or need to be reattached constantly.

It just looks silly and is completely unneeded.

Accuracy has nothing to do with it.
By Filandrius
Fifthrider wrote:I'm 100% with Roach and Some_Guy. If you want to belong to some paramilitary costume battalion go join the 501st or the Stargate guys, or Starfleet or any of a dozen other rank-based costumers. Keep your rank off of the GB flightsuit.

I know what's slowly been ruining this hobby for me over the years. Everyone is trying to "make it theirs." Everyone is trying to rewrite and rebrand Ghostbusters to become a product of them. It's insanely ego-driven. I'd rather just honor it for what it is.
Well said. GBs aren't a paramilitary operation, people! The guys weren't trying to start an army, they were trying to make some profit. That really doesn't fit with the "uniform" mindset. It's not an uniform, it's a pratical outfit for the job at hand. Deal with it.
By DarkSpectre
Fifthrider wrote:I'm 100% with Roach and Some_Guy. If you want to belong to some paramilitary costume battalion go join the 501st or the Stargate guys, or Starfleet or any of a dozen other rank-based costumers. Keep your rank off of the GB flightsuit.

While I agree with leaving rank off the uniform (since it truly doesn't make sense in the first place), I have to disagree with naysayers on different uniforms and people doing their own thing. While personally I'm a traditionalist and prefer to sport either khaki or dark gray uniforms, it doesn't mean that my entire team should have to conform to what's been established. We're not trying to rebrand or rewrite what's been established. It's more about preference and what you can afford. If fans want to wear BDUs or ACUs, so what? My friend, who was in the Army for 10 years, feels more comfortable in a BDU based uniform. The common elements, such as the nametag, arm patch, pistol belt with accessories and elbow pads are still retained. He just likes to wear a 2 piece uniform instead of a coverall. It's not because he's has to "break the mold" so to speak. He just wants to be comfortable. Honestly, if I was uncomfortable in the whole get up, I wouldn't be as involved with the hobby as I am because I like to suit up for conventions. I think that creativity and diversity keeps the franchise strong. It gives everyone a chance to enjoy it in their own way. If fans feel that the only way to go is a khaki flightsuit, cool. I can respect that, because I too prefer the established colors, but it's refreshing to see a little variety from time to time.
By Vincenzo330
I have to agree that making this stuff too "military" or structured drains the fun out. But if you really wanted to go that route you could always try something like this, it eliminates the need for a custom logo.

The Navy uses them to identify your Unit while in dress uniform. It could go above the GB logo where the arm and shoulder stitching meet.

By Wallabe
Are there any good places for a secondary/franchise patch? I've got a logo designed for an upcoming franchise, but it's far enough from conventional that I don't think it would make a suitable replacement for the original logo.
By Fifthrider
At first I was going to argue this point but then your avatar sort of disturbed me into rethinking it. I'll post anyways.

DarkSpectre wrote:We're not trying to rebrand or rewrite what's been established.
Not trying to, but doing it very well anyways. I never said you couldn't and I never said you must conform ( seig heil! ) but just mention that it's sort of ruining it for me. FOR ME. That's all. I get that its your guys' choice and I understand that. Just the same, don't tell anyone you're not trying to rebrand it while doing it so well.

DarkSpectre wrote: It's more about preference and what you can afford.
Because a $40 Rothco is so expensive? :-(

DarkSpectre wrote:It's more about preference and what you can afford. If fans want to wear BDUs or ACUs, so what?
But... That's completely proving my point. Everyone's trying to make it their own. It really doesn't have anything to do with cost, it's about "making it their own."

DarkSpectre wrote:It's not because he's has to "break the mold" so to speak.
...and yet he is breaking the mold. It's your choice to do it and until now you've never heard me utter a word against it but don't steal cookies from the cookie jar and then deny it while eating the last one and brushing the crumbs away.

Look, there's nothing "wrong" with what you're doing per se. In fact I actually DO agree with you that such flexibility may make the franchise stronger. I seriously do. What I have a problem with ( now, as a result of this thread ) is when people do things but they can't cop to it. You ( or your guys, whatever ) are changing it but don't want to cop to the fact that it's all ego driven and you're doing it for yourself. While I personally feel it's ruining it for me, I also acknowledge that diversity is the key to anything's survival. ( Even if I do think moves like the ones you describe are ludicrous and go too far. ) On the upside, at least it allows people to remain interested and that in turn may increase the buzz about continued franchise efforts by Sony. I hate it for corrupting the original to meet the needs of the ego-driven individuals, but understand that it may breathe some life into it. ( Just keep it away from me. )

Also, a good defense you should have used would have been that if you wanted to belong to a group that follows strict guidelines about uniforms you would have already joined the 501st. ( Christ, I gotta do my oppositions arguing for them. ) >:-(

DarkSpectre wrote:I think that creativity and diversity keeps the franchise strong. It gives everyone a chance to enjoy it in their own way. If fans feel that the only way to go is a khaki flightsuit, cool. I can respect that, because I too prefer the established colors, but it's refreshing to see a little variety from time to time.
(sigh) I hate myself for agreeing with this. Now get your paramilitary uniforms away from me.
By Fifthrider
Wallabe wrote:Are there any good places for a secondary/franchise patch? I've got a logo designed for an upcoming franchise, but it's far enough from conventional that I don't think it would make a suitable replacement for the original logo.

The So-Cal guys do something really neat. They have velcro on their uniform sleeves in the shape of the no-ghost patch so they can swap between the two. I always respected that decision.
By Vincenzo330
Fifthrider wrote:
Wallabe wrote:Are there any good places for a secondary/franchise patch? I've got a logo designed for an upcoming franchise, but it's far enough from conventional that I don't think it would make a suitable replacement for the original logo.

The So-Cal guys do something really neat. They have velcro on their uniform sleeves in the shape of the no-ghost patch so they can swap between the two. I always respected that decision.

Thanks Bryan :)

and to further answer your question Wallabe, that's pretty well covered in this thread

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 72&t=22939
By DarkSpectre
Bryan, I meant no disrespect, nor did I intentionally mean to start an argument. I was simply trying to say that my friend, who happens to be in my team, wears BDUs because he find's them physically comfortable (the guy spent 10 years in BDUs). I can see where it could ruin how you feel about the hobby. But I can tell you that there's no ego involved in being alright with uniform variations. As long as my personal gear is movie accurate I'm alright with however my team is outfitted as long as it's a uniform that can pass for a Ghostbuster.

With that said, I have the utmost respect for you and your guys. Your equipment, uniforms and Ecto are amazing. (We actually met at Comic Con in 2008, btw) And I love the fact that you guys maintain the original look, feel and essence of the films. I guess I personally am pretty lenient as far as uniforms go because let's face it, Most people outside the hobby don't perceive every nuance like we do. To them, it's "Hey Ghostbusters, cool." But as with most uniform based discussions on here, it's always boils down to personal preference. When I first got into the hobby I purposely wore a different color because I felt that everyone in khaki was boring. Since then I've changed my opinion and stay strictly with in the colors seen in the films. But I'm fine with different variations as long as it means that I get to hang out in gear with my friends.
By ProtonCharger
i have a very STRONG anti militaristic stance with uniforms.
Last edited by AJ Quick on January 11th, 2011, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Removed negative comments.
By Fifthrider
Nah, that's cool dude. All is good between us We met at Con? <:-| Sorry man, I forgot. You have me at a disadvantage. My name's Bryan. You're....?

Personally, I feel better in a cheap Rothco than a heavier screen-accurate suit so I sort of get that. Honestly I'm not even bothered by some of the other colors. It's sort of interesting in a way. I'm not sure I'd dig a cammo GB flightsuit and the rank thing would really grind my gears. ( Insert Peter Griffen laugh. ) What the girls do has always been lenient and open for interpretation and I totally get that. ( Strangely, I would NOT tell them to get away because of their inaccuracy. I'm a total hypocrite. )

After I made my last post I realized the only way to make my point was to show up at some Con wearing a new uniform based on some kind of Mario and Luigi overalls with a t-shirt bearing the arm patch. "It's a me! Ray Stantzio!" Ya gotta mock it to make your point.
By Some_Guy
I've got nothin' wrong with customization myself. I mean, have you seen me in my uniform? Aside from the shoulder patch I ain't got accurate shit on my person.

But it's when people try to take something that's obviously not military, and try to organize it as such. There generally aren't any rules for the Ghostbusters, but there are standards. Nobody is going to hassle you because you didn't shine your boots or anything like that, but when you start calling yourself "Commander of your GB Squad" or some garbage like that; that's just stupid.

Like I mentioned earlier, the GBs were just some regular joes looking for a steady job. Winston wanted in for, like he said, "A steady paycheck" The Rookie in the game was in it for the same, and I'm sure the 4 new Busters in Sanctum of Slime are in it for the same reason as well. Yes I'm aware my last two examples aren't technically 'canon', but it gets my point across.

Stop trying to make it a "Unit" and leave it as a group, that's all I'm saying. (<-This wasn't directed at anyone in particular. Just saying.)
By Crix
Before I forget, and this is less directed at anyone in specific, and more at the idea as a whole.

Ghostbusters are this:

NOT this:

Seriously. Exterminators. Not military.
Tony Bondioli liked this

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]