The Arizona Ghostbusters finally have wheels, well a work in proress at least. She's a 1972 Pontiac Bonneville Superior Ambulance. She was found up in Colorado near the four corners, just off Route 666 and purchased for 1000 dollars. It's going to take alot more to get her finished. The engine was sold out of her a awhile back but otherwise she's complete. She has lots of little things like dents and spot rust that needs to be repaired. The back is still filled with bandages and other assorted medical supplies, as well as the transmission and exhaust. Though not a Caddy, the car has a lot of character and she'll help us be alot more complete team.

In her found location.

Getting ready to move

Matt (Azbuster) at the wheel

The journey

Interior

Some more exterior shots

Last edited by jettajeffro on June 7th, 2010, 8:14 am, edited 26 times in total.
We were told the seller purchased it a few months back and it was still running before the engine was sold out of it and till then she has been garaged. The amount of medical supplies still in it makes us wonder how recently it was still being used, we were told something along the lines of it being used to transport vets to appointments and the like, but theres also plenty of evidence it has been sitting for awhile too.
Luckily we have the transmission and driveshaft. If the engine was still in her, she may have cost more but it would have saved us alot of work and sped up the conversion, but by putting a rebuilt engine and rebuilding the transmission we have, we'll know she'll be alot more dependable.
jettajeffro wrote: Luckily we have the transmission and driveshaft. If the engine was still in her, she may have cost more but it would have saved us alot of work and sped up the conversion, but by putting a rebuilt engine and rebuilding the transmission we have, we'll know she'll be alot more dependable.

Very true that, overall it's a silver lining. :) Hopefully as you mentioned, it'll help her stay on the road for a good few more years at least.
It's not the right model or year.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Gotchya. Scored a high-top! Very nice! Those are a hard find for any year. I love the wood paneling on the dash! And how insane is that glass brain jar, (Yes I know it's probably a BP apparatus, but still)? I don't mind the red seats are kinda cool too.
Best of luck with your conversion!

Sean
Don't scare me like that. Thanks.

Luckily will all that storage space we'll have plenty of room for spare pack parts and tools. We're thinking about putting slime in that clear jar. Sure not accurate, but by having not having the right year or model we think we might as well take a few liberties. We're trying to find some old equipment to fill the back left side and I plan to run a big bundle of electrical wiring along those hooks at the top that will off course actually do nothing. Building a functional pack rack is what I'm most looking forward to.
by having not having the right year or model we think we might as well take a few liberties.

I agree completely. Simply having a car that's not "cannon" frees you up considerably. If you have a 59' it's like you automatically feel obligated to reproduce a perfect Ecto replica, (trust me. I've done TWO and it ties your hands more than frees them).

I think putting slime in the jar is a great idea. If you CAN, try to underlight it with LEDs so it glows. ;)
After alot of inquires on the status of our ecto we now have an update. The funding has finally come in for our Ectomobile project and the restoration is underway. We thought we would send you a few pics and inform you of her current status and keep you up to date as her progress develops. We will start by rebuilding the front end and replacing the front rotors and axle bearings, she has drum brakes in the rear and they seem fine for now. Because the engine was removed before we purchased the ambulance, the wiring was left in a shambles, but after much deliberation and continuity testing we restored the electrical not only to the cars basic functions but the emergency accessories as well. The flashing lights and rotating beacon worked great and the siren/PA system worked flawlessly. The engine, a 455 Pontiac will be installed soon after the front end is done, we will keep you posted.

Wheels off waiting for new rotors and bearings

Something is missing...for now.

The shop, family owned and operated, as you can see she's taller than the old blue Chevy Suburban sitting behind her.
Last edited by jettajeffro on August 7th, 2008, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have a really optimistic feeling about your project. You stand a really good chance of this panning out. I think you'll be Thiago and me in our endeavors but hey, it's not a race. ....even if you are poised to finish first. Seriously man, congrats on the ball rolling. That has to be a weight off your chest.
Man that looks like fun! Best of luck, I can't wait to see it finished... If ever I have a surplus of money I would love to do an ECTO project like this. Car projects are so much work, but the first time you get to drive it, there is nothing better. All the pain and suffering just goes away.:lol:

When you say "beat the seasons" do you mean the difference between too hot and really too hot? :wink:
Yeah I know the heat, we used to spend a lot of time down there when I was younger. My parents met in Glendale back in the 50's while my dad was stationed at Luke Air Force Base and they still have a lot of friends around the Pheonix area.

Is that drive in movie theater still down there? That was first place I saw the trailer for Ghostbusters 2. :grin:

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]