I've been trying to start my own build thread for a while but I've been bogged down with work, sales and tornados. So we'll play a little catch up here.

Got the pack in the mail from TillSon. The power was already out so I had to look in awe of this beautiful bigI7 shell with a flash light.

Then, this kind of thing started happening all around us.

Luckily, we the tornado just clipped a massive oak in our yard and we came out with a destroyed fence and not the total disaster you see there.

Anyway, once power was restored I got back to work...

I decided to model my pack off of this photo. I know it's a fairly well know pic but it's kind of special to me. I remember having an old Starlog magazine back in the 80s that had this photo in it. I always dreamed of having a proton pack when I was kid, so it makes sense that I would bring it full circle and use this photo as my primary reference.

I'm using some great techniques I picked up from Libtechnit and Filandrius. Big bolts. BIg strong washers. They aren't all pictured here but some of those SSW (super strong washers) are present too.

I had some left over Apoxie sculpt left and I reinforced the walls of the EDA because they seemed a little thin.

Here's the pack, all ugly and dry fitted with parts from MMM, Nickatron, onlinemetals.com, JPA35, GBShop etc.

Nevermind my nasty ass feet.

Finally, I got to the painting stage. Taking a page out of Filandrius's book, I gave it an undercoat of Krylon Fusion Silver, but with a twist. This is hammered finish paint.

The pic I'm using as a reference really shows the rough, cast iron like finish of the pack and that's what I'm going for. I sprayed all of it with the fusion except for the ion arm, the booster tube, bumper, N-filter, and booster frame as those appear to be smooth. I assume it's because most of these were aluminum.

Again, nasty ass foot.

And here we are, caught up. After waiting a grueling 8 days for the fusion to fully cure, I was finally ready to paint it with the BBQ black paint. The weather was bad today though, so I ended up turning my Kitchen into a Dexter style kill room in order to paint it. COULD NOT WAIT.

Going to start working on the weld between the booster and the Ion arm tonight... stay tuned.

Last edited by parksdesign on August 2nd, 2011, 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FunkPunkTwang wrote:Looking good so far man!
Thanks man.

KagaSakai wrote:Off to a great start, Brian! High-five for the Dexter reference!
I love that show.

Kill room

I could have posted pictures all over of all the paychecks this thing has killed ;D
Canthor wrote:Very nice! :D Glad you didn't suffer major tornado damage.

Must have been hard waiting for the power to come back on to start working on that thing of beauty!
Thanks. We got lucky. This neighborhood is still in ruins. I think we had like 70 trees down. It was hard waiting but it wasn't the foremost thing on my mind when the tornado hit. ;D

Meanwhile, back at the hall of justice...

I put my recently found lot of Lc-1 gear to good use and put this frame together today ( I was supposed to be working on a project for a client...shhh). Thought I would do this while the fake welds are drying. The padding on the top bar is Filandrius style.

All original surplus stuff. All had been buried for about 30 years. WTF surplus store guy, don't you know we have packs to build?! :)
Ferrariracerjv7 wrote:Ahhh...so thats what the neck pad is supposed to look like GB1 style. Got any reference pics? I don't remember seeing it like that. Stupid me thought zip ties were supposed to go on it.
Well, not exactly. Actually, the screen accurate padding was just kind of stuck on there and secured at the ends with gaffers tape. Just being stuck on there would tend to make the pad pop off when the actors would wear the packs.

I just like it better this way.
parksdesign wrote:
Ferrariracerjv7 wrote:Ahhh...so thats what the neck pad is supposed to look like GB1 style. Got any reference pics? I don't remember seeing it like that. Stupid me thought zip ties were supposed to go on it.
Well, not exactly. Actually, the screen accurate padding was just kind of stuck on there and secured at the ends with gaffers tape. Just being stuck on there would tend to make the pad pop off when the actors would wear the packs.

I just like it better this way.
I think I know what you mean. I remember seeing a picture of Ray and it looked like the pad was about to fall off and not aiding his neck what so ever. I pretty much just taped around it four times instead of zip tying. I really need to start a thread. :blush:
I think I know what you mean. I remember seeing a picture of Ray and it looked like the pad was about to fall off and not aiding his neck what so ever. I pretty much just taped around it four times instead of zip tying. I really need to start a thread. :blush:
There's tons of reference photos on this site of this. Check out the HD captures thread...last post.
Like I mentioned before, I'm using the pack pictured below as my reference. Early on I was going to use a Dale RH-50 on my ion as I thought it was pretty conclusive that that was what was used. But, at least on this pack, I'm pretty sure its a Sage resistor, and that's what I'm going with.

Looks pretty clear to me. What say you?

I also took a break from elbow pads, dry rubs (and a shouting match with a Army Surplus store owner / friend of the family over LC-1 gear) to put together my injector tubes.

Thanks to Nick-a-tron for selling me the aluminum at a good price and thanks to JayStanz for the idea of using push on metal end caps.

mburkit wrote:Yes, that pack and the Omni pack both seem to have a Sage M50W resistor on the ion arm. Looking good so far!

That's what I thought. The pack has shaving cream on it too, so that would seem to suggest that it was used in the rooftop scenes at the end, don't ya think?

And, if that's true, wouldn't that also mean that the Sage is also screen accurate? Just speculating but seems logical.

And thanks for the compliment. I hope to finish painting this thing if the humidity will ever drop below 100% this week. :boogieman:
parksdesign wrote:That's what I thought. The pack has shaving cream on it too, so that would seem to suggest that it was used in the rooftop scenes at the end, don't ya think?

And, if that's true, wouldn't that also mean that the Sage is also screen accurate? Just speculating but seems logical.
It's possible it could have been used on the roof top scene. There are things on that pack that you do not see on other packs that makes that particular pack stand out to me.

1. Sage M50W Resistor - the only other time this is seen clearly is on the OMNI Magazine Cover pack.
2. Horizontal Weld - All the packs had a weld between the ion arm and the booster tube BUT this pack seems to have a cross arm of sorts welded on there and this is the only pack I've seen this on.
3. HGA Elbows - This is the only pack that I could notice that didn't have the Legris Elbow and Clippard L-Fitting lined up flush on the HGA. The L-Fitting seems to be sitting slightly higher up on the HGA.
4. Socket Head bolt - This is the only pack I've seen a socket head under the Ribbon cable like that
5. Cyclotron Legris Elbow - The Legris Elbow on this pack's cyclotron seems to be mounted lower then other hero packs seen in the first film.

Now saying that, I think, THINK, this is the pack that Harold Ramis wears for parts of the roof top scene.

In these 2 screen shots, the HGA Elbows and the ribbon cable look the same. I also think I can kind of see the goofy weld on the booster tube. So I think you are replicating Spengler's pack from GB1, my good sir.
Great info Matt. This will help me out a lot. I was planning on doing that horizontal weld. Wasn't going to say anything, but might as well now.

There are a couple of other things though that are different, IMO. The filler tube and beam line tubes are moved further to the left and if you notice, I have drilled my holes for placement further away. This way my ribbon cable will bump into the filler tube and fold over slightly.

I've also got the hole drilled under the ribbon cable entry point for an 8-32 cap head screw. I'm going to use it and some large washers to secure the ribbon cable.

I'll definitely look into making adjustments for the other things you pointed out.
What's the general consensus about Reflectors behind your cyclotron lights? I have 4 maglight reflectors I was going to use, but they really stand out a little too much. I'm thinking about just spraying them black on the inside and using them to hold the incandescent lights.

Opinions?
Nice job so far Brian. Reflectors are ideal for the cyclotron lights but not accurate. In GB1 and GB2 the lights were mounted to a circuit board on the mobo you could check my current thread of my pack and see what I did for the lights when I was doing the Bigi shell early on which is what they did in GB2 for the semi-hero packs.

If you don't really care to much about going that route spray painting the reflectors black will definitely help and make them not stand out, and you still get a nice light up.
pchrisbosh1 wrote:Nice job so far Brian. Reflectors are ideal for the cyclotron lights but not accurate. In GB1 and GB2 the lights were mounted to a circuit board on the mobo you could check my current thread of my pack and see what I did for the lights when I was doing the Bigi shell early on which is what they did in GB2 for the semi-hero packs.

If you don't really care to much about going that route spray painting the reflectors black will definitely help and make them not stand out, and you still get a nice light up.
Thanks man. I'll definitely go back and check earlier in your thread about the lights.
Then, this kind of thing started happening all around us.

Luckily, we the tornado just clipped a massive oak in our yard and we came out with a destroyed fence and not the total disaster you see there.
Glad to see that my fellow ChattTown Ghostbuster is ok. You wouldn't believe how much damage I have seen on my routes.
parksdesign wrote:I hope to finish painting this thing if the humidity will ever drop below 100% this week.
Good luck on that. If it's not Raining then it's Baking. I'm sure you know what I mean... :sigh:
Good luck on that. If it's not Raining then it's Baking. I'm sure you know what I mean... :sigh:
I definitely know. I'm resorting to a makeshift garage in my kitchen.

Anyway, after seeing the other things that Matt pointed out, I've starting making mods to some of my parts.

I filled the hole on the HGA where the elbow was. I'm going to redrill and tap the hole slightly below the clippard elbow.

Patched the hole in the cyclotron to move the elbow down slightly.

If I've gonna duplicate this pack, I might as well go all out. Hell, I might add shaving cream to it.
nick-a-tron wrote:
parksdesign wrote: Hell, I might add shaving cream to it.

I think it's important that you do. Great work so far Brian!

That would be fun for a pic or 2. Then I'd wipe it off though lol.

Anywho, I took a short break from work this morning to abuse my ion rod. Boy does that sound wrong.

I already had a few scratches on it but I tried to replicate the one on the pack. I added the big gash under one of the screw holes. I think it looks fairly close. Might need to scrape a little off the very bottom of the rod.

Or if you bought the access pack you get them inst[…]

Now that we at SAGB have actually got through our […]

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal el[…]

I have not heard of this. On the Matty PKE, if the[…]