Ok so after almost a long drawn out year im back to work on my pack. After starting this build I stopped when it was time to buy my house and during that time, I have been doing a lot of research on how to make my pack better. I bought some additional parts and fixed some issues I had initially, now I'm back to finishing this bad boy.
So first off I tackled trimming my MMM mobo, I tried WD-40 and various blades with my jigsaw but had no success. Finally I found out my jigsaw is outdated and not going fast enough to make clean cuts. So after replacing my jigsaw and purchasing some 36 tooth metal blades I began the trimming process.
First I clamped my mobo down on the table and marked out what needed to be trimmed...................
At lowes I found this dark lubricating oil thats usually used in plumbing for cutting brass fixtures and can also be doubled for band saws so I decided to give it a whirl.
I had my friend continouslly pour this lubricant in front of my jigsaw blade which is pretty viscous almost like car oil and man did it do a wonderful job. With the proper equipment I was able to cut the mobo like butter. I made some mistakes in how i cut the mobo which caused some of the fins on the mobo to hang over the shell which would have been impossible to get with the jigsaw. Foresit would have taught me to just cut along the fins instead of attempting to form the mobo to the fins, you can see here what happened...............
So I clamped the shell down to the mobo and used a hand metal file to file down what was sticking out, worked ok but was a lot of work and i still have a small amount of mobo protruding. With comic con coming up and time being a factor, I'm going to leave it be for now and reattempt cutting a different mobo after comic con.
Now that I've been working on the mobo i figured here was a good time to attach the mobo to the shell. First I took my L brackets from MMM and marked out on the mobo with the shell on top where the brackets where going to need to be placed.
I used a fine tip sharpie to mark on the motherboard where the bracket needed to be. After all four were marked I removed the shell and measured the thickness of the shell so I knew how far in the brackets needed to be.
Then marked off on the mobo the exact placement of where the bracket needed to be riveted then began drilling each bracket one by one.
I then placed each bracket on the mobo and marked off where i needed to drill the holes into the mobo. Now its time to rivet. I got my rivet gun for $16 at lowes and my #7 drill bit and tap combo for $5.99
I then riveted all the brackets in place.
Unfortunately my help left me being it was 11:00 at night so i didnt get many pictures of me drilling through the shell and brackets but i used the same exact method that kind used in his sticky thread. It worked like a dream. First drilled through the shell and bracket then carefully tapped each hole. I used my drill at its crawling speed and after every turn in a half, I backed out to clean out the threads. To tap all the holes it took me around an hour an a half but the end result turned out great. Each screw went in without any trouble and became very tight at the end which meant I didnt have to crank the screw into place to hold. The shell held fast without any trouble when i lifted it up in the air to test the sturdiness of the rivets and screws. Whew that daunting task is finally over. Not to bad for my first time if i may say so myself.
Ofcorse there always has to be one part that gets drlled out crooked as you can see on the upper left. Not to worry as I plan on redoing my mobo anyways. I forgot to get a picture of the screw under the ion arm so ill put that up after i attach it back to the shell.
Next I started prepping my alice frame for attachment to the mobo. First I needed to sand the crap out of it to get most of the green paint off. I did about 2 hours of wet and dry sanding then began to prime.
I then painted my legris elbows and crank knob. I used testors model paint, flat dark aircraft gray which I think is very close to the first gens. I propped the elbows up on small wood dowels and painted away.
My grinder doubled for a good prop up while drying
I drilled a hole into the back of my crank kob and lock tited a wooden dowel into the back. I plan on in the future to replace most of my resin parts for real parts or metal so Im using a method of sticking the wooden dowels through the shell and hot gluing them into place so they can be easily removed later.
I then did the same thing to my ppd. This will be replaced with a metal one once my order from Anchon comes in.
Once the locktite dries I will trim down the dowels and secure them into the shell.
I drilled the hole to mount my last filler tube. I then used my dremel with a metal grinder attachment to grind of any excess fiberglass and resin so I could fit my lag bolt in the shell. Unfortunately were the filler tub needs to be mounted the back fiberglass lays flush with the bottom of the shell so I had to grind a lot away to make sure my lag bolt would clear the mobo when attached.
Now I realized that all my holes I already drilled out to mount my bumber and shock mount where to high on the shell. So I took locktite epoxy puddy and filled in the holes so I can redrill and remount the bumber and shock mount in its proper place.
Then epoxied a chip i mad into a fin of the crank gen.
Once it cures Ill sand it down flush with the shell and redrill. After a loooong night this is what ive accomplished thus far. More updates to come shortly. I will be finishing painting the alice frame and get that mounted as well as finalizing the rest of the drilling i need to do before I can paint the shell. So far all I have left is the v-hook mount, drill out the hole for my ribbon cable, and mount my resistors to the Ion arm. Thanks for looking so far, please if you have any constructive criticism I would love to hear it!